How Do I Keep a Tamed Beefalo Tamed?

On 16.3.2020 at 11:30 PM, Well-met said:

It makes no sense to have no information or clue being shown about the tame progress without mods.

The closer it is to become fully domesticated the longer you can ride it. Obviously not an exact data, but you can have a good estimation on how far you're into the process, and imo that is enough. There are many things in (vanilla) DST you can't tell the exact time/info, like next hound wave, temperature, raining time etc.

It's very dumb how you can't get ontop of an agro'd beef when they start hitting frogs and beargers and walruses and whatnot.

Yeah, a pan flute can help with that, saved my beef a few times. Other than that some precautions, like resetting riding time by getting off and on, or avoiding dangerous areas.

The whole thing takes too much dedication especially when you realize there's nothing a beefalo can do better than other independent items can't (dark sword, amulet/cane, tam) - with the very lame exception of heavy lifting.

Once fully tamed, a beefalo is a 100% protection regenerating armor, a walking cane, dark sword (depending tendency) with infinite durability, that lets you fight easily while wearing other gear (like miner hat, winter cloths, eyebrella etc), or you can even use a bee queen crown for boss fights without having to worry about losing its durability. No need to prepare armor, weapons, healing for a fight, only a twig to get on the beefalo - that's a pretty good reward for the efforts of taming if you ask me.

Plus there's the nice addition that you don't need to pick up your weapon during the fight with the Moose/Goose and Bearger.

Also there's definitely room for more saddles, snacks and perhaps the Koalefant.

I'd like to see more stuff and equipment for the beefalo, too.

On 17.3.2020 at 3:07 AM, MrNaxeros said:

I like dedicating so much time in taming the beef. Makes you actualy care for the thing. [...]

This. One of the very few things in DST that are still punishing you for mistakes. If you die, you just use an amulet, if Deerclops chomps part of your base you can quickly rebuild it... but if your beefalo dies, dedicated effort of a whole season gets lost.

5 hours ago, fimmatek said:

you can even use a bee queen crown for boss fights without having to worry about losing its durability.

Or even the bone helm. I usualy farm nightmare fuel with it during night while ridding my grumpy beef. A normal autumn night is usually around 12-15 nightmare fuel so it can become really nice. No durability loss on your gear and no healt loss for you if you dont kite the shadow properly.

A bit more on topic, i usually brush my beef when ever i get the chance or feed him 5 twigs to when ever i can. Never truly got any problem with him undomesticated. When i go to the caves i make sure its salt lick is the freshest (got only one)

Though my beef pen is super duper close to the center of my base where i pass the most time at. So i kind of always have an eye on him. I guess the system they implemented with the domestication depletion was to show you need to always care about your pet animal...

But i do agree losing your beef completely is really bad if you forget him for a while cause you had more important stuff to do.

Maybe have it still domesticated but not trusting you anymore and you have to give him proper care for like 1-3 days for him to trust you again. It would be less harsh then having to redomesticate a new beef everytime.

Archived