Flaking mechanic to print metal?

I just lowered my launch platform to fit a third fuel tank on my hydrogen rockets to make it past 150k.  I keep the 3x9 under the bunker tiles filled with petrol to absorb the heat from the launch and transfer it to my turbines.  It seems that I lost a bit in the process of lowering the platform and so the top layer of petrol was not full.  When I launched, that top layer got boiled to sour gas, but I also noticed some steel flaking off of the bunker tiles.  I know have 25 kg of steel debris at the bottom of the tank and no apparent damage to the bunker tiles.  It would appear that I just printed 25kg of free steel.

20200219203456_1.jpg

Click the tile twice (or few more times depending on other buildings in the tile). You will see that there is another layer to the bunker tile with its material. It will display the mass properly.

The mass of the tile should reset after reload. Doors will reset when changing state (open/close/auto). So it is kinda free steel.

Some more info on the topic:

8 hours ago, Yalp said:

Click the tile twice (or few more times depending on other buildings in the tile). You will see that there is another layer to the bunker tile with its material. It will display the mass properly.

Weird.. how can there be both a 95kg steel tile, and a bunker tile ( made out of 100 kg of steel ) in the same tile? If you deconstruct it, which do you get, the 95 or 100 kg of steel?

8 hours ago, Yalp said:

Some more info on the topic:

I thought that worked because when you close the door it actually inserts a metal ore tile there, so you could melt that tile, open the door, close it again and it just inserts a new metal tile without caring that you melted the last one.

6 minutes ago, psusi said:

If you deconstruct it, which do you get, the 95 or 100 kg of steel?

100, but for thermal interaction it behaves like the lower mass.

20 minutes ago, psusi said:

I thought that worked because when you close the door it actually inserts a metal ore tile there, so you could melt that tile, open the door, close it again and it just inserts a new metal tile without caring that you melted the last one.

True. I was just thinking about the resetting part of the tiles which works just as well for flaking

Archived