A gift from Metheus: Weapon and Armor Runes

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of crafting hambats for every combat situtation there was a system that allowed for more weapon and armor diversity that encouraged experimentation and modification? The end game gear in the game is currently just sitting there going mostly unused in favor of mid-game gear. Here are my ideas to breathe a new life into them. 

Weapon/Armor Sockets

The Thulecite suit and club can now be augmented with Metheus runes to enhance their properties. They can only hold one rune and the socket is permanent. Examples of runes are below: 

Thulecite Suit Rune types:                                                           Rarity Level: 

Hardy: +25%  durability                                                         *

Unyielding: +10% damage reduction                                    **

Torch-scarred: +10% fire heat damage reduction                **

Frostbitten: +10% freeze damage reduction                         **

Shadowguard: +25% shadow monster damage reduction   ***

Blighted: +20% damage, -40% damage reduction               ***

Thulecite Club Rune types:   

Hardy: +25% durability                                                         *

Jagged: +10% damage                                                         **

Static-charged: +10% electric damage                                 **

Flame-forged: +10% fire damage                                          **

Vampiric: leeches 5 health on hit                                           ***

Blighted: +15% damage,                                                        *** 

can freeze enemies(1/3 effectiveness of ice staff),             

-25% movement speed                                                                                           

*Notes: Note the Thulecite suit and club have sanity regen and movement speed perks respectively.  In regards to the Blighted runes, the Blighted Thulecite suit is comparable to a grass suit in terms of damage reduction but provides additional damage, while the Blighted Thulecite club gives further increased damage and a freeze perk but removes the 10% movement speed perk while also reducing base movement speed by an additional 15%. The idea is risk vs reward. I also would like to mention that the Thulecite crown would not be socketable as its already a good item and body armor needs more love/a reason to use over headgear. 

Weapon/Armor Repair 

And of course, if so much time is going to be invested in acquiring these new runes there needs to be a way to repair weapons and armor., so a new structure called the forge can be crafted that allows for the repair of player-crafted armor and weapons with the exception of the Hambat. This structure would require a rare boss drop or resource called a forge ember as fuel with more durability repaired requiring more fuel and time.      

18 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

This sounds like minecraft...

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for enchanted bookAnvil.png

Ive never played minecraft, but sockets and enhancements are in a variety of games. I feel like its a concept that  fits well with Dont Starve. 

Seems too complicated considering how not-very-durable armor is at the moment. Same goes to repair function. Since currently thulecite is mainly renewable via resetting ruins by killing Ancient Fuelweaver, I can see Thulecite stuff being self-repairable on their own as a nod to thulecite's  renewability itself. It also would resemble old DS-style Woodie - they are very good at what they supposed to do, but use them too much in a short amount of time and they'll "let you down". Drop few 1% Thulecite Clubs after boss fight at Toadstool and when you come back for another fight they'll be 100% again.

8 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

Seems too complicated considering how not-very-durable armor is at the moment. Same goes to repair function. Since currently thulecite is mainly renewable via resetting ruins by killing Ancient Fuelweaver, I can see Thulecite stuff being self-repairable on their own as a nod to thulecite's  renewability itself. It also would resemble old DS-style Woodie - they are very good at what they supposed to do, but use them too much in a short amount of time and they'll "let you down". Drop few 1% Thulecite Clubs after boss fight at Toadstool and when you come back for another fight they'll be 100% again.

I'd make all player crafted weapons be able to be repaired, but since the resource to fuel the repair structure would be rather rare you probably wouldnt want to waste it on a normal spear. As for being too complicated it would work like an ice flingomatic in terms of fuel consumption combined with something like the carrat training machine where instead of giving that structure a carrrat you give it your weapon and instead of stats increasing durability is increased. 

Just now, Terra M Welch said:

Not going to lie, when I saw runes I thought of Diablo 2. (Jah Ith Ber anyone?)

Yeah i got inspired by a lot of rpgs and arpgs. Thing is DST already has a ruins sections, and the Metheus puzzle is all about solving runes. Socketing gems into moonlens is already a thing. I think the next logical evolution is to connect those is to introduce a system like this. 

Archived