Correct Units for Thermal Conductivity ???

Ok, so I was trying to understand the whole ONI heat system.

And I started looking into the units and I got the "thats something not right" annoying feeling.

Specific Heat Capacity Units : (DTU/g)/deg C

Thermal Conductivity Units : (DTU/(m*s))/deg C

For specific heat capacity its DTU/gram/deg C which is fine.  I worked it out and that part was fine.

For Thermal Conductivity:
1. what is m? I am assuming m is for mass which is 1 gram(should be g not m in that case) *** it is NOT mass it is meter - a badly fitting copy of the real-world thermal conductivity unit it seems now.
2. Assuming m should be g(which it should) :
the unit is DTU/(second * gram)/deg C which is NOT fine as far as I could tell it SHOULD BE : DTU/(second gram) only without the Deg C.

As heat transfer is a function of (time, mass and the DTU/(time*mass) constant).  Deg C is not a parameter and does not factor at all.

Conclusion : 

Correct Specific Heat Unit IS : DTU/gram/DegC or DTU per gram per Degree C (correct in game)

Correct Thermal Conductivity Unit Should Be : DTU/(second*gram), or DTU per Gram Second (not correct in game)

?????
 ??       ??
           ??
     ????
     ??
     ?

?
Looking at the Wikipedia page in an attempt to answer my own question it seems like Kline have tried to copy the real-world units for thermal conductivity, which does not seem to make much sense here(in the context of this game)?  Surely heat is conducted between 2 tiles based upon their mass, conductivity until they reach equilibrium, with the lower of the 2 thermal conductivity values being the one used between 2 different tile types?

2 hours ago, Gavin786 said:

Ok, so I was trying to understand the whole ONI heat system.

And I started looking into the units and I got the "thats something not right" annoying feeling.

Specific Heat Capacity Units : (DTU/g)/deg C

For specific heat capacity its DTU/gram/deg C which is fine.  I worked it out and that part was fine.

For Thermal Conductivity:
1. what is m? I am assuming m is for mass which is 1 gram(should be g not m in that case) *** it is NOT mass it is meter - a badly fitting copy of the real-world thermal conductivity unit it seems now.
2. Assuming m should be g(which it should) :
the unit is DTU/(second * gram)/deg C which is NOT fine as far as I could tell it SHOULD BE : DTU/(second gram) only without the Deg C.

As heat transfer is a function of (time, mass and the DTU/(time*mass) constant).  Deg C is not a parameter and does not factor at all.

Conclusion : 

Correct Specific Heat Unit IS : DTU/gram/DegC or DTU per gram per Degree C (correct in game)

Correct Thermal Conductivity Unit Should Be : DTU/(second*gram), or DTU per Gram Second (not correct in game)

?????
 ??       ??
           ??
     ????
     ??
     ?

?
Looking at the Wikipedia page in an attempt to answer my own question it seems like Kline have tried to copy the real-world units for thermal conductivity, which does not seem to make much sense here(in the context of this game)?  Surely heat is conducted between 2 tiles based upon their mass, conductivity until they reach equilibrium, with the lower of the 2 thermal conductivity values being the one used between 2 different tile types?

If I recal correctly, real world thermal conductivity changes with temperature.
I think it had something to do with there being more free electrons if the temperature is higher.
Maybe the tried to implement that in the game somehow?

On 1/26/2020 at 5:57 AM, Gavin786 said:

Duplicant thermal unit per meter per second per degree temperature.

I think of it this way, thermal conductivity is an expression of how much heat (DTUs) can be transferred from one place to another. A slightly more useful version of this constant is here:

DTU / (s * (A/L) * T)

To make this a common/standard value, you need to:

1) factor out the distance between two surfaces (L) as well as their areas (A). The further the distance the less heat is transferred. Think about insulation; the thicker it is the less heat transfer. Also, a larger surface area will transfer more heat. Area (m^2) per distance (m) leaves you with just “m”.

2) factor out the temperature difference (T). With a higher temperature difference, you’ll transfer more heat.

3) factor out the time (s). With more time, more heat will be transferred. Like when your bristle blossom eventually cooks after being next to a cool steam vent for a hundred cycles or so.

Hope that helps! :)

Archived