So Obsidian does not melt?

18 hours ago, whodunit said:

it turns to magma but simultaneously converts to rock gas. you can observe the same behavior in sandstone. It turns to magma at 926c but turns to igneous rock instantly after that.

Wait, what?  I thought that regolith and other stone that had a melting point less than 1410 had their temperature turned up to 1410 when melted so that they would not instantly re-solidify into igneous?

4 hours ago, psusi said:

Wait, what?  I thought that regolith and other stone that had a melting point less than 1410 had their temperature turned up to 1410 when melted so that they would not instantly re-solidify into igneous?

Could be. I had some sandstone tiles in a metal volcano and they turned into igneous rock after briefly turning into magma. Possibly, it does raise their temp to 1410 and the surrounding air cooled them down.

But then this would be a huge heat creation method. Sandstone has a specific heat of 0.8 so if you heat one upto 926c which then turns into magma at 1410 at 1.0 specific heat? that would be a huge amount of heat. So I just assumed the magma created returns back to the 926c after creation.

12 hours ago, whodunit said:

But then this would be a huge heat creation method. Sandstone has a specific heat of 0.8 so if you heat one upto 926c which then turns into magma at 1410 at 1.0 specific heat? that would be a huge amount of heat. So I just assumed the magma created returns back to the 926c after creation.

That's the idea.  Regolith and sedimetnary rock are even better.

Archived