Diagonal sweeping questions

Hello!
I'm trying to build the classic diagonal sweep 1 tile food storage and I've been having some issues.

I tested it a bit and can't really find consistency: it doesn't seem to work from underneath, which is what I would need, only from above and only if the dupes can put themselves at a 1 tile diagonal distance. The "sweepability" doesn't seem to update when you make changes to the tile, I have to re-drop the objects that i want to be swept, otherwise they stay unreachable. Sometimes dupes sweep objects that have "unreachable" too.
I've done all this in a debug map so may be the instant modifications messed up the pathing, I don't know.

Can anybody tell me how it works generally?

Raw food is dropped into the chamber on the right, which is picked up by the loader when it is required by the grill.  The freshly cooked food gets picked up from the grill into a loader, which deposits the food into the hole on the left, where it can be picked up by a dupe on their way to the mess hall.

You can use CO2, but I chose chlorine to fill the holes with to keep the food sterile.  I've got about 20t of food stored in this pile, all of which is 100% fresh.

The fridges I use for sweep errands, the left for sweeping cooked food, the right for sweeping ingredients. 

Untitled.thumb.png.e73ca22fa4fb114986266752ff2c947a.png

3 hours ago, Craigjw said:

Raw food is dropped into the chamber on the right, which is picked up by the loader when it is required by the grill.  The freshly cooked food gets picked up from the grill into a loader, which deposits the food into the hole on the left, where it can be picked up by a dupe on their way to the mess hall.

You can use CO2, but I chose chlorine to fill the holes with to keep the food sterile.  I've got about 20t of food stored in this pile, all of which is 100% fresh.

The fridges I use for sweep errands, the left for sweeping cooked food, the right for sweeping ingredients. 

Untitled.thumb.png.e73ca22fa4fb114986266752ff2c947a.png

Thank you for the info. I guess I've not been precise enough: I have no problems building what you are suggesting, I just need to know the sweeping rules so I can customize my setup. I would need something similar to what you have but accessible from below, which doesn't seem possible from the tests I have made.

2 minutes ago, suxkar said:

accessible from below, which doesn't seem possible from the tests I have made.

I did test a while back, had blocks shape a + with stuff to sweep in the center. Covered the surrounding area with ladder tiles to identify all locations that give access. No access from below.

Spoiler

Only access to the metal is on the plastic ladders.

image.png.fcd74bca9d9c4f03e83876575a5ef8df.png

Other positions:

image.png.86e58c41fe1566dc3eebda083e053d0e.png

image.png.ded5d5ac30a774e6bcaa05f6db170a1d.png

14 hours ago, Yalp said:

I did test a while back, had blocks shape a + with stuff to sweep in the center. Covered the surrounding area with ladder tiles to identify all locations that give access. No access from below.

Hide contents

Only access to the metal is on the plastic ladders.

image.png.fcd74bca9d9c4f03e83876575a5ef8df.png

Other positions:

image.png.86e58c41fe1566dc3eebda083e053d0e.png

image.png.ded5d5ac30a774e6bcaa05f6db170a1d.png

Thank you, that is unfortunately the answer I was looking for

Archived