Has anyone used lumber refining for heat generation?

Hello, 

I noticed Lumber refinement could be used as a heat source thanks to minimum temp of ethanol output.

A credible scenario would be 1kg lumber @-255°C -> 500g ethanol @73.4°C, generating something like 400k DTU/s on refinement for 240W. (+hot PDirt and CO2, PDirt that could also be cooled before composting reseting its temp, extract 96k DTU from PDirt, compost, extract 160k DTU from dirt).

Cooling the lumber in the first place and moving the heat away from the ethanol would require a lot of power however.

I have 2 questions on this : 

-Would it work?

-Do you see a use for this other than a heat battery for storing excess power?

Also, I'm aware of containers reseting temperature of genetic ooze to 20°C but I'm really not a fan of this particular exploit and assume it'll get fixed at some point.

I use ethanol refining to generate heat, but not in the ethanol. The CO2 comes out in the low 90s, which means it needs only minimal heating before it’s just the right temperature for molten slicksters. But in general, heat is bad. It’s much easier to hit the upper limits of your crops than to hit the lower limits. I could see this possibly being useful on Rime, but not a lot of other places.

I actually use lumber to help cool my industry.

See, if you grow trees in a 20C environment, the lumber drops at 20C without consuming mass. Convey it through some metal tiles, and viola, that 90C CO2 exhaust is looking a lot more like 35C: (gif was before temp stabilized)

p1.gif.3e822a2a985a44e95029923b2bea6e4b.gif

Not really making use of temperature resets here.

I did something similar to cool my O2 setup, running lumber through metal tiles.  Then you delete the heat by refining... the ethanol still comes out at 73.4C unless the lumber is hotter than that. As far as the hot CO2, I just feed it to slicksters.  And the hot ethanol is burned for power.

Archived