Anyone Good At Minimizing?

I'm currently working on a little system in my base just to experiment with chlorine and I'd like to have an automation circuit to use as a timer for it so I don't have to keep an eye on it. I've got the circuit working, but I feel like it could be made smaller, since I'm pretty crap at downsizing this sort of thing.

Here's a couple pictures of the circuit (one with automation overlay, one without)

no_overlay.thumb.png.56284afb76d076a42319054a5e156b0a.pngoverlay.thumb.png.cdea4d60fdb1804ce72c26027f589715.png

Astable Timer / Oscillator Circuit

The timer is made of 4 buffers (to give a max of 1 1/3 cycles between triggers), a NOT gate, and a clock sensor for easy shut off.

Output is taken from the input of the NOT gate.

timer.thumb.png.6045634f2c3c2706118761531e779b62.png

Pulse Limiter

The pulse limiter is made from an OR gate, a buffer (set to 0.1 seconds), and 3 NOT gates.

Pulse limiter is mostly needed to prevent the flip-flop module from toggling multiple times

pulse_limiter.thumb.png.126991e2986e142f48239f6985fb7b3d.png

SR Flip Flop

Flip-Flop circuit using 2 AND gates, 2 NOT gates, and an SR-Latch

sr_flip_flop.thumb.png.8aec0c7eb6011e33b7df220d486b4488.png

tl;dr - Anyone who can helper down size this (if possible) or knows a circuit that toggles a latch from a single input (or better, a clock based flip flop), I'd love to hear about it.

1 minute ago, Steve Raptor said:

Can you give a general description of what you are trying to accomplish?

What are your input signals and what are your desired outputs and conditions?

Essentially, I'm messing around with the idea of having a chamber full of chlorine, which I would dump stuff into (either conveyor or liquid/gas receptacles), let it sit to kill all the germs, then transport out. I don't fully know how I'd set it up yet, but the general idea I have is to input/output stuff for a cycle, then let it sit for a cycle in the chlorine

I can't help you with the oscillator when you want more than a full cycle timing between pulses. It's basically as good as it gets.

However, your "pulse limiter" is really just a far too complicated positive edge detector (besides 0.1s is not the same as a single tick).

And your flip flop can be done with either just a single XOR gate or a memory gate plus an AND gate depending on if you deem the function critical enough that it's not reset on save/reloads.

I've illustrated both options here and the needed positive edge detector (which replaces your "pulse limiter").

image.thumb.png.1cb37e9320a214cf6cf97413fc26333f.png

However, in your case it may be easier to use a conveyor shut off valve on a simple single clock sensor timer, and let the stuff get disinfected on the rails in a chlorine room. Depends on your needed through put. If it's just slime for mushrooms the needed through put is so small that the rail disinfecting method is far preferable.

EDIT: Forgot to include the full minimized set up that fully replaces yours. A reduction from 52 tiles used to 20.

image.thumb.png.e991a9aafcd3edb8520dc651f880e2ed.png

I'll have to give that a quick test. The main problem I was encountering with toggle gate setups was that they would toggle their output repeatedly, so my first thought was to use a JK Flip Flop type setup, but even that had the same issues, so I probably over engineered the circuit because of that

This is how I handle disinfecting water, each stage is 1/3 of a cycle. I know you want the material to be disinfecting for a full cycle, but 1/3 in a pressurized pure chlorine environment should be sufficient.

Each module has it's own clock that sends a green signal for 1/3 of a cycle, or the "fill stage" when the reservoirs accept input. In your case you might be using a conveyor shutoff rather than a liquid shutoff. That green signal is fed into set port of a memory toggle. The output of the memory toggle is sent to mechanized airlocks beneath the liquid reservoirs that keep them open, but in your case you may need to send it through a NOT gate to a conveyor shutoff to keep it closed during the disinfection stage, which also lasts for 1/3 of a cycle. The signal from the memory toggle feeds back into its own reset port, but on a 400 seconds delay, or 2/3rds of a cycle.

Although this is for disinfecting water, it should be easily adapted to disinfecting solid cargo simply by replacing the pipes and shutoffs with their solid-cargo equivalents. In this example I am using 3 modules all controlled by their own clock which is responsible for a different 3rd of each cycle so one of the three modules is always filling, another is disinfecting, and another is releasing clean water back into the system for a constant flow in and out.

disinfect.png

10 minutes ago, HoodedDeath3600 said:

I'll have to give that a quick test. The main problem I was encountering with toggle gate setups was that they would toggle their output repeatedly, so my first thought was to use a JK Flip Flop type setup, but even that had the same issues, so I probably over engineered the circuit because of that

Your mistake was the pulse limiter. 0.1s is not the same as a single tick. That's why you had issue. You need the postive edge detector instead to make sure only a single pulse is being made.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Your mistake was the pulse limiter. 0.1s is not the same as a single tick. That's why you had issue. You need the postive edge detector instead to make sure only a single pulse is being made.

I figured it was something like that, but I'm still working on learning all the game mechanics I can use for complex automation circuits. Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, Samson.ONI said:

This is how I handle disinfecting water, each stage is 1/3 of a cycle. I know you want the material to be disinfecting for a full cycle, but 1/3 in a pressurized pure chlorine environment should be sufficient.

Is 1/3 really enough? I had looked on the wiki for chlorine and it was saying you'd need a full cycle to make sure everything is dead, so maybe the wiki got it wrong? Or are you just doing 1/3 cycle because your germs are under a certain amount?

6 minutes ago, HoodedDeath3600 said:

I figured it was something like that, but I'm still working on learning all the game mechanics I can use for complex automation circuits. Thanks for the help

Is 1/3 really enough? I had looked on the wiki for chlorine and it was saying you'd need a full cycle to make sure everything is dead, so maybe the wiki got it wrong? Or are you just doing 1/3 cycle because your germs are under a certain amount?

It takes a full cycle for slimelung to die in a pure oxygen environment, and a full cycle for food poisoning germs to die in a clean water environment, but either situation may be reduced to >200s when the materials are stored in a pressurized pure chlorine environment. That may be were the misconception is coming from, or it may be that the chlorine page simply has outdated information on it which would not be unheard of; but no, absolutely no germs leave my water treatment facility.

8 minutes ago, Samson.ONI said:

It takes a full cycle for slimelung to die in a pure oxygen environment, and a full cycle for food poisoning germs to die in a clean water environment, but either situation may be reduced to >200s when the materials are stored in a pressurized pure chlorine environment. That may be were the misconception is coming from, or it may be that the chlorine page simply has outdated information on it which would not be unheard of; but no, absolutely no germs leave my water treatment facility.

Ahh alright. And my water treatment is currently just a sieve that interrupts the loop of the sinks and lavatories, with any extra being pumped to oxygen gen

Just now, HoodedDeath3600 said:

Ahh alright. And my water treatment is currently just a sieve that interrupts the loop of the sinks and lavatories, with any extra being pumped to oxygen gen

That works for most applications, but you'll need to kill the germs if you want to run a water cooler/espresso machine or your dupes will get sick (:

While the applications for germ-free water are limited it might be worth the morale bonus. Some players have a separate loop for their clean water supply, but I disinfect all of my water mostly just for the sake of it. I think the process is interesting and I like seeing my machinery doing stuff.

1 minute ago, Samson.ONI said:

That works for most applications, but you'll need to kill the germs if you want to run a water cooler/espresso machine or your dupes will get sick (:

While the applications for germ-free water are limited it might be worth the morale bonus. Some players have a separate loop for their clean water supply, but I disinfect all of my water mostly just for the sake of it. I think the process is interesting and I like seeing my machinery doing stuff.

My morale is currently high enough that I kinda don't need things like espresso machines for a long while, and my current plan for cooling is to build an aqua tuner and steam turbine setup for major cooling and wheezewort for minor cooling

14 minutes ago, HoodedDeath3600 said:

My morale is currently high enough that I kinda don't need things like espresso machines for a long while, and my current plan for cooling is to build an aqua tuner and steam turbine setup for major cooling and wheezewort for minor cooling

I make espresso makers to delete surplus pincha pepper production, and get a tremendously high morale boost in the process.

I do the same with showers. Since the showers use fairly cold water, I use it to cool off the natural gas generators when needed to avoid thermal run-away. So they're only on when additional cooling is needed.

Just now, Saturnus said:

I make espresso makers to delete surplus pincha pepper production, and get a tremendously high morale boost in the process.

Fair enough. I might do the same, but currently I'm not growing any pincha peppers and all my dupes have roughly double morale for what they need

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Yeah, pincha pepper is easy farmin' with a little automation. I run my base on pepper bread and espresso machines. The morale bonus tends to be overkill but I get some satisfaction out of giving my dupes luxuries.

1 minute ago, Samson.ONI said:

Yeah, pincha pepper is easy farmin' with a little automation. I run my base on pepper bread and espresso machines. The morale bonus tends to be overkill but I get some satisfaction out of giving my dupes luxuries.

Considering my dupes are washing their hands with poop water, they might deserve luxury

Archived