Userr

My impressions of the game (warning long post)

Userr    0

I tried the Griftlands Alpha and here are my experiences from it and suggestions for improvements. Disclaimer, this is all my personal opinion and some parts could be wrong as they are only based on my testing.

1. Enemies are your friends. Yes, they do give you a debuff, but as soon as you find them in a bar you can provoke them(which is made even easier as you don't have to get their resolve to 0) and then dispatch of them for free goodies.

To balance this the provoke could have the first condition of getting insulted to 10 (after which insulted would stop decarying) AND getting reslove to 0. Having all the people that dislike you in one bar fight you at once (instead of one per one when provoked) would also help.

2. While I didn't try pulling it off, the combo of Bulldoze (which draws a card whenever you play a red card) and the 0 cost card that deals damage seems like a way too easy combo. To fix this making cards only playable once per turn. A way to do this would be to have a condition that if the card that was plaid this turn is drawn, another card that was not plaid this turn would be drawn. If there are no more cards to be drawn the extra draws could carry on in the next turn. This would prevent OP small decks and infinitive draws. Or perhaps have this option only on higher ascentions.

3. Defence+counter seemed to be the strongest combo on my run (ascention 8), dealing 30+ damage per turn (in addition to defence). However, the "combo" cards seemed too difficult to pull off. Furthermore, some cards like the two cost one that deals damage equal to your hand seems to need way too much XP to level up.

4. Indicators of how much raw and armor damage, plus indicators for increased damage from vunrebilty/bleed would be nice quality of life but by no means necessary.

5. Ranged and melle damage don't seem to make much of a difference, I assumed ranged ignored counter but if i remember correctly I saw ranged being countered. The boon "sparing" and the negative version of it seem way more powerful than the other ones, especially the debuff which is more influencial than the buff and can ruin your run. To fix this it could be split on two, one for the composure buff and one for the defence.

6. The game did not make it clear if I can have multiple pets, does accepting a hound means I can't get a vrog?

7. Can we have a TL;DR with consequences (like in Slay the Spire) when options are chosen (where the benifits and drawbacks of an action are chosen clearly) (eg, take big share of the money, get shills AND the person will hate you instead of just "gain x shills"). For example I didn't read the story and pressing the "spill secrets" option made the other person hate me with no seeming benifits. Also please give a TLDR if we can kill the enemy or not. I want to play the game without reading all that text.

8. The straight up damage of people hating you seems too harsh, a debuff would be better IMO. Also telling us what buffs befriending people would give us would be very nice.

9. Having a way to unlock all cards and difficulties without grinding or editing the files would be nice (like an optional cheat or whatever for people without the time/patience)

10. The game seems too easy in its current state, but I assume the difficulty will increase.

Bugs: When my hound ran away in one of the older builds it dissapeared forever (this could be a bug or a feature tho). The "non sequitor" also sometimes took my action points when the second card was plaid (even tho it shouldn't as it costed 0). The negatoation wheel of my opponents sometimes spun out of control when cards were plaid which was a very minor annoyance.

two more bugs: Selecting the cards to not appear in the game seems to not work most of the time, on surrender and on new game. In one of the events killing everyone comes up with a text "EVENT_NO_ONE_ALIVE" or something on thoose lines, I think it's on killing the merchant and stealing the artificat but im not sure.

Userr    0

UI.thumb.png.09dd1bda0354e53bd6f4ea2f662d6d06.pngEDIT: Also the UI can get glitched if too many damage indicators are there at once, and having all the damage added up and shown would be very nice quality of life.

pacovf    457

Some (not all) of these issues are fixed in the experimental release of the game, if you want to try that.

As for ranged/melee: it’s just a visual distinction, there’s no mechanical difference between the two.

• Thanks 1

Hraklea    41

You can have multiple pets. 

About the TL;DR suggestions, I like that you have to figure the consequences of your actions.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 9:05 AM, Userr said:

While I didn't try pulling it off, the combo of Bulldoze (which draws a card whenever you play a red card) and the 0 cost card that deals damage seems like a way too easy combo. To fix this making cards only playable once per turn. A way to do this would be to have a condition that if the card that was plaid this turn is drawn, another card that was not plaid this turn would be drawn. If there are no more cards to be drawn the extra draws could carry on in the next turn. This would prevent OP small decks and infinitive draws. Or perhaps have this option only on higher ascentions.

I wouldnt mind if some of the rarer cards could go infinite or just boosting the rarity of cards that tend to allow going infinite. Otherwise maybe some of the cards could have some sort of keyword that lets the player know the card can be played x times in a turn could fix this issue. I honestly have more fun when my deck isnt going infinite or requires some maneuvering to go infinite.

As for the TL;DR/Provoke suggestions im all for them. Good ideas here.

Oh and the devs mentioned ranged/melee was only a visual thing with the attack animation it has no meaning in combat. They should just hide this info so theres no confusion unless they plan to change this.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:05 AM, Userr said:

Defence+counter seemed to be the strongest combo on my run (ascention 8), dealing 30+ damage per turn (in addition to defence). However, the "combo" cards seemed too difficult to pull off. Furthermore, some cards like the two cost one that deals damage equal to your hand seems to need way too much XP to level up.

Yeah combo is still in a weird place imo. Its just a defense based deck with cards that seem out of place for a defense type deck. Maybe if some combo cards stayed in your hand between turns and adding some more interesting abilities that affect drawing cards could solve this problem. Or possibly some combo cards could have your next played card have additional effects or something if its the same card type.

I love freighter. You really think 5 xp is to much? I feel like its fair.

As for some of my own thoughts. I think sal could use some more interesting ability cards that could be useful for all deck types. The 1 cost counter abilities are boring and tbh not really useful for a counter based deck. Even inside fighting isnt that interesting in a combo deck it doesnt really enable many combo cards.

I feel like it be more interesting if each character had a couple social boons/banes to offer so that when you get sparring it feels good. Rather then it being the obvious sought after boon. Plus they need to offer more interesting boons. +hp/resolve is good but its pretty bland and be more fun to get elsewhere from random events. Boons should offer something interesting like the first time you take damage in combat gain 1 power for each enemy until end of turn. It doesnt have to be super powerful just fun enough to make each run feel different.