world.ismastershard without blocking clients?

What is the equivalent of "if world.ismastershard then" which also clients can pass?
I just want to know if the world is master or slave and execute the following code only on master, but for servers and clients.

I could do world:HasTag("forest"), but I want my code to also work in case any mod renamed the worlds or created a new world with different name. Or should/will the master alsways have the Tag forest, regardless of its worldprefab/location ?

edit:
For TheShard seems to be a proxy at clients, but if I ask TheShard:IsMaster() at client, it will always return false, same for IsSlave...
So is there no way fo this and I have to use netvars/RPC to tell the clients which shard it is?

edit2 Solution:
The Gem API Mod introduced with version 4.0.0 TheWorld.net.components.server_info:IsMasterShard()

Edited by Serpens

Put this code in the root of modmain. It won't work in many functions and won't work in root of prefab and component files but in root of modmain it works perfectly. Then you may use constnts in any functions.

local TheNet = GLOBAL.TheNet
local SERVER_SIDE, DEDICATED_SIDE, CLIENT_SIDE, ONLY_CLIENT_SIDE
if TheNet:GetIsServer() then
	SERVER_SIDE = true
	if TheNet:IsDedicated() then
		--Dont use GetServerIsDedicated cos it tells only about existence of
		--dedicated server in game session, and not about current computer.
		DEDICATED_SIDE = true
	else
		CLIENT_SIDE = true --Solution for "ismastersim" issue. <------- You are welcome, Serp! ;)
		--Use only for net vars but not with "return" operator.
	end
elseif TheNet:GetIsClient() then
	SERVER_SIDE = false
	CLIENT_SIDE = true
	ONLY_CLIENT_SIDE = true
end
--If you are not in the game, e.g. on main menu, SERVER_SIDE will be nil.

Many other common issues I fixed in mod "Top Mod". So you can add to your mod dependency or just copypaste what you need.

Example of using for net vars (from my mod):

AddPrefabPostInit("player_classified",function(inst)
	inst.showme_hint = ""
	inst.net_showme_hint = _G.net_string(inst.GUID, "showme_hint", "showme_hint_dirty")
	if CLIENT_SIDE then
		inst:ListenForEvent("showme_hint_dirty",function(inst)
			inst.showme_hint = inst.net_showme_hint:value()
		end)
	end
end)

Edited by Maris

6 minutes ago, Maris said:

Put this code in the root of modmain. It won't work in many functions and won't work in root of prefab and component files but in root of modmain it works perfectly. Then you may use constnts in any functions.

local TheNet = GLOBAL.TheNet
local SERVER_SIDE, DEDICATED_SIDE, CLIENT_SIDE, ONLY_CLIENT_SIDE
if TheNet:GetIsServer() then
	SERVER_SIDE = true
	if TheNet:IsDedicated() then
		--Dont use GetServerIsDedicated cos it tells only about existence of
		--dedicated server in game session, and not about current computer.
		DEDICATED_SIDE = true
	else
		CLIENT_SIDE = true --Solution for "ismastersim" issue. <------- You are welcome, Serp! ;)
		--Use only for net vars but not with "return" operator.
	end
elseif TheNet:GetIsClient() then
	SERVER_SIDE = false
	CLIENT_SIDE = true
	ONLY_CLIENT_SIDE = true
end
--If you are not in the game, e.g. on main menu, SERVER_SIDE will be nil.

Many other common issues I fixed in mod "Top Mod". So you can add to your mod dependency or just copypaste what you need.

thank you ,but I can't see how this is related to Shards?

The aim is to find out if the shard is master (usually forest) or slave (usually caves). But problem is that ismastershard / TheShard does not work as expected on clients.

4 hours ago, Serpens said:

TheShard:IsMaster() at client, it will always return false, same for IsSlave

What do you mean by saying "always"? Always in PrefabPostInit function? Where?

Try to check it in root of modmain and if you like those values, cache it in local vars. I'm not sure if it will help, but try.

4 minutes ago, Maris said:

What do you mean by saying "always"? Always in PrefabPostInit function? Where?

Try to check it in root of modmain and if you like those values, cache it in local vars. I'm not sure if it will help, but try.

your code is about server/client.
my question is about master/slave. That is a big difference :) Forest is a master shard cave is a slave shard.

I tried TheShard:IsMaster() in console while being in a world with caves, being in the forest and with "Local" console. That printed false, while on Remote it printed true on the server.

Edited by Serpens

I told that API functions may work different depending on the moment you use them. It's not about client/server or master/slave. It's about API functions in general, e.g. TheSomething:WhateverFn()

So my suggestion is to try to cache it if you found right moment to get true value.

Edited by Maris