what would you do?

i have played ONI more then i want to admit, so i belive i'm a good player of it.

but still, nothing is so good it cant be better. i'm not one for overly complex machines as i rarely see any real need to use them.

this is my latest colonly which i kept small, 10 dupes in base, 2 running space missions. used 1 mod to increase speed.

what changes would you make to my base to improve, or just what is your preference to build that you think works better?

The Ultra League.sav

On 8/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, Xadhoom said:

i have played ONI more then i want to admit, so i belive i'm a good player of it.

but still, nothing is so good it cant be better. i'm not one for overly complex machines as i rarely see any real need to use them.

this is my latest colonly which i kept small, 10 dupes in base, 2 running space missions. used 1 mod to increase speed.

what changes would you make to my base to improve, or just what is your preference to build that you think works better?

The Ultra League.sav

0. Get rid from that natural gas layer... It happens at my bases at times too while they are young, but later, I tend to include some sort of gas management to make pure oxygen base.
1. Have more ranches. There is only 1 drecko ranch and there are no glossy drecko in it =0. Would definitely have glossy drecko ranch and normal drecko ranch. Maybe even several at this point... There is no shine bug ranch =0. Well, at this point in the game, it is probably too late to make use of shine bugs, but it is something that I include earlier in bases. Shine bugs have been nerfed multiple times for a reason, they look bad at first, but they are a free resource. Pips and dreckos are also free resources. On the other hand, I would not have hatch ranches. I would have explored the idea of ranching pufts, but they tend to be too buggy :( 
2.I would have tapped into that cool steam vent ages ago and try to make it into the source of water my entire base runs on.I would definitely not just slap a gas pump with a atmo sensor next to natural gas geyser... I would make sure to build a proper box around the geyser and pump out all gasses until its vacumm/pure natural gas. I would also make precise calculation at how much natural gas it produces and feed it to the precise amount of natural gas generators.
3. My power generation would not be in the middle of my base... At some point, I would definitely move all power generation to its own biome.
4. Have multiple straight ladders from the top of the world to the bottom. Not this ladder zigs zags.
5. Have multiple water reserves scattered around the base inside liquid reservoirs.
6. Have multiple gas reservoirs filled with hydrogen... That gas is really useful in making some automated machinery, so it is good to keep some of it on hand.
7. The amount of composts is crazy... At that amount you should seriously consider making a dirt cooker instead.
8. 5 toilets, 4 sinks? 1 of the sinks outside the washroom? Something is dying inside me looking at it.

Though, honestly... Most of the things I would do different is based on my preferences and subjective opinion.

Edit: 2. Also make use of that steam vent which is actually even closer to printing pod. I get that you are not starving for water, but it is a matter of taming free resources and also, that steam vent is visible from the cycle 1, so it would surely be on the todo list right from the game start.
9. And cancel all that tasks to dig unreachable tiles and sweep unreachable materials... I am pretty sure that having those tasks lowers the performance of dupes ai.

On 2019-08-25 at 1:37 AM, DarkMoge said:

1. Have more ranches. 
2.I would have tapped into that cool steam vent ages ago and try to make it into the source of water my entire base runs on.I would definitely not just slap a gas pump with a atmo sensor next to natural gas geyser... I would make sure to build a proper box around the geyser and pump out all gasses until its vacumm/pure natural gas. I would also make precise calculation at how much natural gas it produces and feed it to the precise amount of natural gas generators.
3. My power generation would not be in the middle of my base... 
4. Have multiple straight ladders from the top of the world to the bottom. Not this ladder zigs zags.
5. Have multiple water reserves scattered around the base inside liquid reservoirs.
7. The amount of composts is crazy... At that amount you should seriously consider making a dirt cooker instead.
8. 5 toilets, 4 sinks? 1 of the sinks outside the washroom? Something is dying inside me looking at it.

Though, honestly... Most of the things I would do different is based on my preferences and subjective opinion.

Edit: 2. Also make use of that steam vent which is actually even closer to printing pod. I get that you are not starving for water, but it is a matter of taming free resources and also, that steam vent is visible from the cycle 1, so it would surely be on the todo list right from the game start.
9. And cancel all that tasks to dig unreachable tiles and sweep unreachable materials... I am pretty sure that having those tasks lowers the performance of dupes ai.

1. more ranches, why? i mostly have the ranches for what they produce, Pip for dirt, Hatches for coal, Dreckos for Reed fiber, that i was starving for before setting pips to plant it naturally. i had glossy, but once i made 40+ tons of plastic i had no more need of that.

Shine bugs i only used for eggs and food, maybe decor, i could use them for energy i guess if i wanted, but energy too is something i got in excess.

.... NOOO!!!! i just noticed, that Pokeshell killed all my fish i had in that little pocket of water next to my printing pod.

2. 500 degree steam? no thank you, not unless i really need it, best way i guess would be build a steam generator on top of it and let water from it drain if pressure inside is high enough. but it would be rather late in the game to use it well, before that i'm afraid it would cook my base.

3. i wanted to keep as much as possible close to the base, and if needed cool the area to avoid scalding dupes. as i let them tune up the power generators i felt the reduced travel time was worth the little extra inconvenience of cooling and lower decor. if i rebuilt anything, i would move production units up a few floors and generators down and see if i could automate deliveries more.

4. i usually keep my ladders in a bit of zig zag, its rather exaggerated in this base though, reason is to keep dupes from dropping items all the way to the bottom.

5. why more water reserves? as long as i don't lose power i will have all the water i need, if i wanted to make more reserves, i would almost need to cool them down so they don't heat the surrounding area.

7. its almost all from ethanol production, i don't think you can cook polluted dirt to dirt?

8. i usually build sinks outside, reason being i can fit more toilets inside, and i almost never get a germ problem even with fewer sinks then toilets as they tend to arrive at different times.

9. i usually leave low priority tasks i want done "sometime in 10 cycles" around when i'm planning to make something out of them. as far as i know, it wont affect AI, unless its reachable. so dig orders would not really matter, and

55 minutes ago, Xadhoom said:

1. more ranches, why? i mostly have the ranches for what they produce, Pip for dirt, Hatches for coal, Dreckos for Reed fiber, that i was starving for before setting pips to plant it naturally. i had glossy, but once i made 40+ tons of plastic i had no more need of that.

Shine bugs i only used for eggs and food, maybe decor, i could use them for energy i guess if i wanted, but energy too is something i got in excess.

.... NOOO!!!! i just noticed, that Pokeshell killed all my fish i had in that little pocket of water next to my printing pod.

2. 500 degree steam? no thank you, not unless i really need it, best way i guess would be build a steam generator on top of it and let water from it drain if pressure inside is high enough. but it would be rather late in the game to use it well, before that i'm afraid it would cook my base.

3. i wanted to keep as much as possible close to the base, and if needed cool the area to avoid scalding dupes. as i let them tune up the power generators i felt the reduced travel time was worth the little extra inconvenience of cooling and lower decor. if i rebuilt anything, i would move production units up a few floors and generators down and see if i could automate deliveries more.

4. i usually keep my ladders in a bit of zig zag, its rather exaggerated in this base though, reason is to keep dupes from dropping items all the way to the bottom.

5. why more water reserves? as long as i don't lose power i will have all the water i need, if i wanted to make more reserves, i would almost need to cool them down so they don't heat the surrounding area.

7. its almost all from ethanol production, i don't think you can cook polluted dirt to dirt?

8. i usually build sinks outside, reason being i can fit more toilets inside, and i almost never get a germ problem even with fewer sinks then toilets as they tend to arrive at different times.

9. i usually leave low priority tasks i want done "sometime in 10 cycles" around when i'm planning to make something out of them. as far as i know, it wont affect AI, unless its reachable. so dig orders would not really matter, and

1. Because, I would have made my base to be sustained on barbeque and than on ambrosian food even though it hurts them. As for shine bugs, yeah, it is too late to make use of t hem, but it is something that would have happened pretty early if I played.

I would not have made so many hatches, because they tend to eat non renewable resources. One has a lot of random materials to feed them, but still, it is not something I would like to do when there are free alteranatives: drecko, pips, shine bugs... Like, even if we consider feeding them polluted dirt from ethanol production chain, which, btw, would be a better solution than that insane compost array... 4 distilleries support about 5.7 hatches... Because of its tendencies to evaporate, I would round it down to 5 hatches supported. Another thought, it takes 7 pips to support 1 hatch by feeding it dirt... One could give up on the coal production of hatches and start feeding them meal lice which would actually require about 10 mealwood per hatch with the self harvest of the mealwood... Which would actually reduce the ratio to 5 pips to support 1 hatch. The Ratio can be lowered further by having dupes harvest the mealwood which turns ration into a little bit more than 2 pips to support 1 hatch, but it would take too much dupe labor... Anyway, that is just me rumbling about more ways to make barbeque and omelette.

2. Well, one of them is cool steam vent... fully taming that one happens in my games as early as cycle 150 by attaching steam turbine + aquatuner next to it... Taming the hot steam is much more steel intense though, but can be done failrly early on. I feel like I would have not stumbled upon the other geysers if I played and eventually it becomes a matter of principle. 

3. And that is one of the reasons why I do not tune up my power.

4. Well, ladder only needs to be offset by 1 tile to prevent items from falling all the way down.

5. The idea is to have a central water cooling station which than spreads into tanks around the base... than, tanks are disconnected from the water sources and instead are made to cool down local areas. Than when there is a lot of excess steal. Connecting each tank with its own aquatuner to create perfect temperature. It makes expanding base easier too... Quite often, I find myself in need to build something that requires water on the opposite side of the base, having some piping already in place and some water prepared, really helps.

7. Huh, I just checked in game and either I am crazy or it was removed from the game.

Also, to add 10. Have a network of plastic ladders and plastic tiles, because I have ****ton of plastic from my glossy dreckos *giggles*

Archived