Hi everyone.

I've got ONI on steam a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm not an advanced player, but a thing that really bugs me is the lack of remote intake for pumps.
i shearched the forums and found another discussion where a developer stated that:

Pipes work like intestines, they move their contents using peristaltics, driven by chemotaxis caused by inputs and outputs. Pumps are like mouths, they only move the liquid or gas into the pipe. And just like in living bodies, gravity doesn't quite play role in the system.

I get the point, but I do not understand how it cannot work backwards with minimal changes. In the system described above a pipe must know that it is attached to something(in our case a pump output). If a pipe could know it's attached to a pump input it can still perform peristalsis from the intake to the pump.

I know I'm not getting somethng fundamental about the game engine, but can it be done?

A lot of us will be very glad to have remote pump intakes.

Thanks a lot.

Buildings have liquid inputs and outputs. Pipes will lead liquid from output to input. Pumps output liquid to pipes but it won`t flow unless there is an input that can accept it. That said you don`t need a pump to force the flow. Any building with an output will force the flow in a certain direction (even a bridge is enough).

I`m not sure what you want to achieve. A screenshot would be helpful. But if you want to reverse the flow in a pipe what you need to do is switch where the input and output is. Liquid always flows from green to white (actually i think after the recent change you don`t even need the green input just an ouptut will force flow).

Something like this right?

centrifugal-pump-intake-filter-diagram.j

foot-valve-installation-instructions.png

I could see how something like that would be useful. You could hook multiple water sources to a single pump with additional inputs. It would be a lot easier then having to either make several pumps or make and deconstruct pumps repeatedly.

yes.
the bottom line is: If you can pump things to a distance you can suck things at a distance. If you need to pump three different gasses you could build 3 intakes that suck from three locations and switch the source when needed instead of building three huge pumps for no particular reason.

This is a game about efficiency, in the end.

Oh i get it now. A pump that doesn`t directly interct with liquid but can intake it from a different room. I remember suggesting something like this before.

The issue with this is that we could use it to pump hot magma or molten metal without fear of the pump getting damaged. I`m not ure if the devs intend that to happen. On the other side this would be really helpful when dealing with volcanoes and designing steam turbine systems.

I`d like to see an advanced pump like that in the future.

I think pump reserve all line to the first bridge puttong some sort of pressure inside to prevent liquid going in it - which btw if use right can be quite useful - you can have main pipe with liquids and connect multiple pumps withput usong power to "lock" parts of the pump. Gravity well does not work in oni ( although it is really useful in real life for self sustainable farms for example). You jeed something pushong liquid/gas into the pipe. 

And because it is closed circut we would need another piece of equipment ( pump in vent out). 

Archived