Movie club

Raspberry Shake

Like @ResettePlayer's book club, but with films. I just like to talk about movie's that I see.

Films I watched recently that I have something to say about:

Children of the Sea.

This was in the film festival and I thought it sounded interesting, so I went to see it. Well, it was certainly an movie, I can say that at least. Until the latter second/ third act got into gear, it was a pretty good romantic coming of age film with some environmental themes, nice animation and a strong first act.

And then the climax happened.

You know when in Space Oddity David reaches the Jupiter monolith, there's that really great shot with all the planets lined up and the monolith in the middle (AAAAHHH I LOVE THAT SHOT!) and things just go full on art gallery insane? I think that's what it wanted to do. I'm not quite sure why it didn't work, but it just... didn't. Maybe it was that it was too long, maybe it was the fact that it was trying to be a satisfying emotional conclusion to the coming of age arc, which clashed with the psychedelic storytelling or maybe it just didn't tell us enough.

But I was bored. So. Very. Bored. The lady next to me checked her phone. And I couldn't blame her.

When I came out of the Cinema I just, really, really wanted to re watch the Red Turtle. And some Lupin. Maybe have something nice for dinner.

Lupin III: Green VS Red.

I watched this right after going to Children of the Sea, having never seen it before and in glorious 480P. The plot's basically two kids with Lupin action figures fighting over which one is better, it's just a silly non-canon 40th anniversary reference romp meta-commentary on the franchise.

And it managed to have a larger emotional and philosophical impact than Children of the Sea.

Yep.

Yep.

Just let that sink in for a moment.

I would talk about more films, but those are the only ones fresh in my mind I have anything to say about.

Spoiler

I'll have to rent the Red Turtle out of the library sometime.

This weekend's weather was terrible. You know what that means!

Lupin III: Tokyo Crisis:

It's a Lupin film where the climax takes place in a sliced in half plane. It's good, but doesn't do anything new. It's just a fun time. One notable thing about it was that it nearly fell into the dreaded "silly Lupin" trap near the beginning, but remedied that pretty quickly. Lupin should feel like a sexy criminal mastermind, not bugs bunny!

Goldfinger:

Damn, I forgot how good that song was. This film in general has aged like fine wine (excluding Bonds uh..... attitude towards women?). Even the blatant uhhh.... stereotyping(? gotta keep it PG) is so fun and campy you just ignore it. Bond is at his sexiest, Goldfinger makes the silly mustache twirling villain from Tokyo Crisis look like small fry, P u s s y Galore's name still makes no bloody sense (even the Klei forums don't get it!) and that crisp 60's audio... this film is my jam.

Boy:

I had never actaully seen Boy before. Don't get me wrong, I love Waititi as much as any other patriotic New Zealander, but for some reason I had just never gotten around to sitting down and watching it.

Well, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

From the man who brought us What We Do in the Shadows and the godlike comedic masterwork Hunt For the Wilderpeople (WATCH IT), Boy! The pessimistic family drama with a setting so dismal and life sucking it gives Hound of the Baskervilles a run for it's money!

Some highlights to watch out for include (spoiled for spoilers):

Spoiler

Kids farming weed

Kids getting beat up for the weed being stolen

Kids drunkard father running over their pet goat

Kids looking up to said drunkard father and wanting to be like him

Lying to kids

Kid being blamed for their mothers death

...YEP!

Kill Bill 1&2:

(I wonder what kind of films I have a soft spot for!)

I don't have anything really new too say about this that hasn't already been said apart from a few trivial things I picked up this time round.

When that crazy Japanese highschool student with the mace tries to kill the Bride (I would just say her true name, but spoilers) I kept thinking of Scott Pilgrim.

The magic martial arts move from Kung Fu Panda is literally just a re textured PG version of the magic martial arts move from volume 2.

On the subject of the magic martial arts move, I think the makeup guy went a bit overboard with the mentors eyebrows. I couldn't stop looking at them, they take up so much of his face.

Do I watch too many films?

Spoiler

Wait, someone rated the topic? I thought I might've by accident as I sometimes do, but then tried to change it and ended up placing a new rating. Thanks for the uhhh... one star?

I FORGOT TO MENTION THE BEST THING ABOUT TOKYO CRISIS!

There's a gag in the film where Goemon enters a passcode through some mean of high tech device I honestly don't quite understand, to which Jigen replies that Goemon would be really good at the pokies and they ought to go to Las Vegas and get rich sometime.

And then, in the credits sequence of the film, they actually show Goemon and Jigen hitting it up and the pokies and raking in cartoonishly large amounts of cash. Now that's dedication to a gag.

I finally got round to dragging myself out and going to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Not that I didn't want to see it, but it's just a nearly three hour long film. Those take some effort. So, uhhh...

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

If you haven't seen the film, go see it RIGHT now. If your too young to get into the cinema, go pirate it RIGHT now. The things I have to say about this film are mostly pretty spoiler heavy, you have been warned.

Spoiler

The film is spectacular overall, probably my favorite film of 2019 so far, but the best part is the ending. By far.

For those unaware, the film is based on the true story of how a bunch of hippies got high AF and killed some actors. End of story. The film ends like this:

Hippes get high AF and go to kill some actors, including our heroes Rick and Cliff. There's a hilarious scene where Cliff is also high AF, there's a cool action scene with Cliff and his dog where they murder two of the three hippies, the third hippie runs out into the pool where Rick is, and Rick grabs his flamethrower and burns her to death and it's amazing. Rick gets invited over to Sharon's, and everything is happy.

"Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood" appears on the screen in italics and reminds you that this was all a happy fairy tale ending to a horrible event where Rick, Cliff, Sharon and Ricks Wife all died.

If you can't see how great this is, I don't know whats with you.

Archived