Additive Buffs?

Warly's damage buff is multiplicative, meaning strong characters with strong weapons get much stronger, while weaker characters are left behind. I was wondering if we could get additive buffs sometime, so the Wendies (and considering how strong Wolfgang can be, all the normal Wilsons and Willows and Wickerbottoms etc.) of the world can have different buffs to keep up with "the meta".

Regarding Warly's food buffs in particular, it might be fun if every character has a favourite food.

I also want to add the fact, that the defence buff of Warly's Garlic Powder is not multiplicative but additive. While Garlic Powder increases your health by 1/(2/3) = 50% and playing as Wigfrid increases your health by 1/(3/4) = 33%, using Garlic Powder as Wigfrid won't increase her health by 1.5*1.33 = 2.0 = 100%, but by 1/(1-(0.33+0.25)) = 2.38 = 138%. Because the Garlic Powder and Wigfrids natural armor don't stack multiplicative but additive, granting her a total of 25% + 33% = 58% damage reduction.
But as much as I know, only the 25% work on armors etc.

2 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

I also want to add the fact, that the defence buff of Warly's Garlic Powder is not multiplicative but additive. While Garlic Powder increases your health by 1/(2/3) = 50% and playing as Wigfrid increases your health by 1/(3/4) = 33%, using Garlic Powder as Wigfrid won't increase her health by 1.5*1.33 = 2.0 = 100%, but by 1/(1-(0.33+0.25)) = 2.38 = 138%. Because the Garlic Powder and Wigfrids natural armor don't stack multiplicative but additive, granting her a total of 25% + 33% = 58% damage reduction.
But as much as I know, only the 25% work on armors etc.

To elaborate regarding the code, all health absorption (as opposed to armor absoption, which happens first) is calculated like this:

amount = original_amount - original_amount * ([player damage mod, used by moon walls] + self.absorb [used by wigfrid] + self.externalabsorbmodifiers:Get() [used by garlic])

The externalabsorbmodifiers is a modifier list that also adds its entries together. So all the absorbtion modifiers are currently simply added together. Your numbers might be confusing because you talk about absorption seen as health increase. When talking about it as damage reduction, it's 33% from garlic + 25% from wigfrd = 58% damage reduction. Or using the above formula, assuming 100 damage taken (for example a bite from Charlie):

amount = 100 - 100 * (0 + .25 + .33) = 100 - 100 * .58 = 100 - 58 = 42

Funny sidenote: I just tested it and you can in fact heal yourself from damage by getting over 100% damage absoption. This is the same bug as used to be in Shipwrecked, where waves dry the player if wearing more than 100% water protection. Hopefully Klei won't forget to patch this by the time they add more absorption buffs.

Archived