Smallest Map

I was generating -and still can- X=64 size sandstone maps. But new map types giving me hard time.  If anyone there also messing with these and managed to get other maps or even smaller size please help each other here.

7 hours ago, Lurve said:

Any smaller and the camera gets really wonky because both map edges try to push you away at once.

Does it feel like having two very bashful (and very beautiful) childhood friends of the opposite sex which just can not be honest with their romantic feelings and cheer for the happiness of the other?

I think we can sell that.

9 hours ago, Lurve said:

Hirise, the quickie novelty map I made to get back into modding, is 80 tiles wide and 1024 high:

https://github.com/facepalm/oni-extreme-worlds

The dimensions must be divisible by 16, and 80 or greater.  Any smaller and the camera gets really wonky because both map edges try to push you away at once.

I have a question and hoping this is the right topic to ask.

More than a year ago, you could change the map size by simply changing 2 values in a specific file. Super easy!   But due to the continuous patches over time,  it stopped working one day as it started crashing all the time.  Same exact values as before,  but it no longer loads them.(maybe some change in allowable dimensions occurred? and the one I had used maybe just falls out of line)

So the heart of the question is,  is it still possible to configure maps in this way?   I just want to open the relevant file,  change 2 numbers to my liking(within the allowable parameters and be on my way)  So no need to use workshop or download anything.

Thanks in advance,  I haven't touched the game since it stopped loading my custom map sizes,  and of course I'm out of the loop on what's happening to the game..

42 minutes ago, Olimar said:

So the heart of the question is,  is it still possible to configure maps in this way?   I just want to open the relevant file,  change 2 numbers to my liking(within the allowable parameters and be on my way) 

Under \OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\worldgen\worlds

You will find the yaml files for each world which can be easily opened with the windows editor but stuff like notepad++ makes it look nicer. You merely have to change   

worldsize:
  X: 256
  Y: 384

for the world you want to play and as mentioned, it should be no less than 80 and must be dividable through 16 (and still result in a natural, whole, no decimals, number)

5 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

You will find the yaml files for each world which can be easily opened with the windows editor but stuff like notepad++ makes it look nicer. You merely have to change   

worldsize:

for the world you want to play and as mentioned, it should be no less than 80 and must be dividable through 16 (and still result in a natural, whole, no decimals, number)

You can make wordsize 

X:64 for SANDSTONE maps.

You can also change worldbordersize in another file.   currently i am using 2 

8 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

worldsize:

Thank you for replying and attempting to help.  No luck though, same as what happened to me a year ago.  Crashes on load, right before dupe selection screen.  Change back to default and it works again. (am I mathing wrong somewhere...)  Slightly changed both values up and down and it still crashes.  

worldsize:
  X: 416
  Y: 256

Only plus side is my save games mostly work now.  But they are from Feb 2018. (maybe for the better since I'm clueless to the updates/changes from the past year...)

8 hours ago, Xentios said:

You can make wordsize 

X:64 for SANDSTONE maps.

Well, I wrote it should be over 80 (due to camera) and must be /16 to work

Now, I actually found out why it does not work some many times: It's random and depends on traits (probably something outside the realms of expectations).  Though this means it should only apply to the launch preview.

4 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

Well, I wrote it should be over 80 (due to camera) and must be /16 to work

Now, I actually found out why it does not work some many times: It's random and depends on traits (probably something outside the realms of expectations).  Though this means it should only apply to the launch preview.

So which traits ruin it? Maybe it would work for other maps too. I like to try new maps but hate big maps.

@Olimar You need to experiment and if you read above sakura said even world traits effects it.

5 hours ago, Xentios said:

So which traits ruin it? Maybe it would work for other maps too.

Tested with Seed 0 on Terra 128x256 (SNDST-A-0-0) which was enough to draw a conclusion

Work:

• None (gotta have a control group/case after all, worked on 0 to 10)
  • Irregular and Buried Oil
  • Frozen Core, Subsurface Ocean
  • Geodormant, Geoactive
  • Poor and Rich Metal
  • Magma Channels, Volcanoes
  • Miscalculated Drop Location

Not Work:

• All Boulders 
  • Geodes
  • Large Glaciers
  • Slime Molds

Note: Failure is always early after freezing ice formations. 

tl;dr Anything that inserts into the map (instead of replacing) may lead to failure on smaller maps... but not larger maps (both X and Y) as far as I tested, which was just one test with four of the bad traits and a long world generation time.

Verified the file integrity of the game before testing any of this,  just FYI.

Around 30+ attempts with different number combinations but can't get it to work.  Noticed some patterns but don't have any solid answers. (always crashes at the 75% or 75.9% loading point, same place as 16 months ago when it first started happening after a new patch-Feb-Mar 2018? iirc?) 

I have an older PC so that is why I'm a bit finicky with the settings/perf of my game.  Is this just an isolated problem with my system?

I am using:  NEW GAME -> NO SWEAT -> Standard/Default

It doesn't seem to like wide maps and I'm noticing when X, is larger than Y,  it crashes.

LOADS   or   CRASHES   (here are some of my attempts)

Spoiler

worldsize:
  X: 128
  Y: 128

X: 128

Y: 128

X: 384

X: 480

X: 512

Y: 480

X: 512

X: 576
  Y: 544

X: 544
  Y: 576

Y: 640

Y: 720    
<- Crash, this is different - Too big?

@SakuraKoi  @Xentios

Thank you for the information and advice.  Looks like I can't avoid the problem until I can comfortably play on larger dimension maps.  Which won't happen until I'm forced to get a new PC. 

I am only playing ONI for creative/sandbox mode and want to recreate my favourite bases(which I can't right now).  Because I'm sure you might've been thinking why someone would be so picky and weird about the map size.  haha 

Archived