Prolonging fights for card XP

Farming extra turns for card XP came up in the "combat defense too weak" thread and I'd like to harp on the card upgrading a bit more. I think it warrants its own thread.

The base premise is that playing cards gives upgrade points. This rewards prolonging fights.
I think it really pushes farming early fights as a grindy incentive but I wasn't sure how problematic that actually is in the end.

I did a run and kept track of the first one and a half days (screenshot of the table in the spoiler). I extended fights whenever it didn't cost me a large amount of HP/resolve straight away. I pushed enemies close to defeat and just used a winning card whenever they threatened too much damage, otherwise I played cards for XP.

In the early fights it was hard to not go for the win when facing 10+ damage on key turns. After a couple of added cards however I was surprised at how little damage the extra turns caused. Even in fights where I took a lot of "normal" damage early it was always worth it and often easy to try to extend the later stages a bit.
Halfway through day 2 I took 35 extra turns for 80 upgrade points. At a minor -total- cost of 9 HP and 6 resolve from those 35 extra turns. The risk seemed small (prestige 2) but I guess one really unlucky extended turn could be devastating.
Keep in mind that is 80 additional XP from playing unneeded cards on top of the normal card usage XP you gain just by winning fights.

I might do it again for a run where I really focus on extra turns although that extend seems almost unnecessary. Just these opportunity turns were enough to completely upgrade the vast majority of my cards (starting and added ones) at 1.5 days.

It doesn't seem overly problematic as such but it might well be worth looking at.

Spoiler

easyfarm.thumb.png.4a9b7b7966bfea60cd6b9d50c37120c6.png

Archived