Unbearable stuttering/lag at times -- Dedicated Server a better option?

So our past 2 worlds have been getting lots of lag. I assume it's a combination of twiggy trees, maybe an addon (we've used the same ones though), and lots of other spawned things like spiders or something.

We're only about 200 days in, but compared to our last worlds of the same age (with similar amount of created entities), we've never experienced this unplayable lag at times. We don't get lag with all our ~20 pig houses, and don't get lag during a Bee Queen fight (with ~16 catapults), but it just happens sometimes and I don't understand why. Every day cycle change there's a few second lag, and that never happened before.

Would a dedicated server have potentially less lag? I know it depends on specs of the host...is it more hardware or internet speed spec dependent? The reason I ask is because I have slightly better PC specs, but she has much better internet specs.

Also, I've seen instructions to change the game from using integrated video memory to your video card. Could that be the reason?

If you have massive stuttering it seems like your client(pc) is overloaded. In this regard a dedicated server (running on a different machine) would take some load off of your client, and therefore decrease the stuttering.

You don't need much in terms of hardware or internet speed for running a dedicated server. In general I'd recommend a minimum of one core (as high clocked as possible) and 1 Gig of RAM per instance. (Source and more detailed info: here)

As for internet the Forum says 8kbyte/s of upload speed, I don't have any actual xp here, since I've always been far above that limit.

14 hours ago, humanbean said:

Also, I've seen instructions to change the game from using integrated video memory to your video card. Could that be the reason?

Dunno, could be. Try it out worth a shot. DST has been running perfectly fine on my intel hd 4400 on a solid 60 before while my dedicated GPU was broken, but it all depends on the GPU you have.

2 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

If you have massive stuttering it seems like your client(pc) is overloaded. In this regard a dedicated server (running on a different machine) would take some load off of your client, and therefore decrease the stuttering.

You don't need much in terms of hardware or internet speed for running a dedicated server. In general I'd recommend a minimum of one core (as high clocked as possible) and 1 Gig of RAM per instance. (Source and more detailed info: here)

As for internet the Forum says 8kbyte/s of upload speed, I don't have any actual xp here, since I've always been far above that limit.

Dunno, could be. Try it out worth a shot. DST has been running perfectly fine on my intel hd 4400 on a solid 60 before while my dedicated GPU was broken, but it all depends on the GPU you have.

So this type of lag is related to my overloaded DST world and my PC specs (AMD A10 6800K, 10GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB)? Could it be just a few things like an overloaded world (too many twiggy trees, spiders, etc), an addon or two (that ran well before but maybe uses more memory now), plus other potential factors? Does the several second lag during the day/evening/night change clue in to anything? 

I would think my internet connection would be okay (15down/2up), but would my friend be better off hosting with her 400down/40up speed?

Would it be worth a shot to create a Dedicated server over using Klei servers? I'd think my specs are fine, since we have had longer worlds with not this amount of unplayable lag (at times). 

Thanks!

18 hours ago, humanbean said:

Could it be just a few things like an overloaded world (too many twiggy trees, spiders, etc), an addon or two (that ran well before but maybe uses more memory now), plus other potential factors?

DST Worlds do indeed generally need more and more recources, since more and more items accumulate around over time. (Twigs lying around, geckos spawning and dropping their tails, spiders and bees getting killed and leaving their junk, birds leaving seeds that rot and noone picks, etc.)

Does the several second lag during the day/evening/night change clue in to anything? 

Several Seconds save lag sounds quite severe. I've known like 0.2 seconds or something which is quite a stutter, but is still survivable. I guess it all depends on the system, and if you have the saves on an SSD or HDD. This would disappear with a dedicated server, though if the dedicated server isn't fast enough, you might get rubberbanded once or twice during the save period.

I would think my internet connection would be okay (15down/2up), but would my friend be better off hosting with her 400down/40up speed?

That should be more than enough for a few players. I'd say the server system would be the bigger factor here. On the other hand, if you have the choice where to run the dedicated machine from, I'd go for the faster speed... Because you know, never hurts to have the faster speed handling things.

Would it be worth a shot to create a Dedicated server over using Klei servers?

Klei's servers are in fact dedicated servers, so you might wanna check if you have less lag on those. Keep in mind though, those are public ones, so griefers will prob burn down your base if you chose to try a proper playthrough on those. That's where a private dedicated server shines.

Archived