Multiple views for overseeing projects

I have a multiple monitor setup.  In ONI, I often have many projects being worked on, but I end up forgetting about some of them for cycles at a time because I got distracted by some crisis or other project.

I would like to be able to have multiple ONI windows open to view the same game, but at different locations.  I think a multi-screen approach is probably the ideal way to do it for my use case (which I think isn't that rare).  Keep in mind that window would be running the game and the others would simply be viewing it.  My use case would be one main view I do most of my playing on and around 4 smaller views on the second monitor (with the UI off) that I use to look at my projects or areas I am wanting to keep track of.

Alternatively, there could also be a miniature display within the existing UI that we can place to watch a second or third area that can opened or turned off (like what exists in the original Majesty game, image in the spoiler).  I would prefer a separate window so that the existing UI would be less cluttered and I could exploit my second monitor while playing.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8db03cbec27227d673cac69e7eb6f7fc.png

As you can see here, at the bottom left, there are two mini-displays, one is following a unit, and one is on a message flag.  Players can click in these displays to do things, like cast a spell on the units.

Something similar could be used in ONI to watch projects and make minor manipulations without having to stare at it.  (Image is not mine, I just googled Majesty gold edition screenshot)

Heh. Ever play Supreme Commander / Forged Alliance? That game supports two monitors and lets you view fully zoomable displays on both monitors, from map view to a single unit.

Would be useful, but probably only 1% of players (including me) would ever use it.

6 hours ago, Ambaire said:

Heh. Ever play Supreme Commander / Forged Alliance? That game supports two monitors and lets you view fully zoomable displays on both monitors, from map view to a single unit.

Would be useful, but probably only 1% of players (including me) would ever use it.

I have not played those games, but that sounds like the same thing.

I feel like more than just 1% would use this if it was simple enough to use.  I know I would use it even without a second monitor.  I could easily have 3 windows open on my laptop.  I would have 1 take up most of the display (top to bottom and covering about 2/3 of the horizontal) and two on the remaining space stacked vertically.   I already play with my main display like this sometimes because I have a video open on the side while I am playing ONI.

I don't even think it is really necessary to be able to interact with these windows (though I think it would be better), I just want to be able to run multiple projects without having to constantly think about them.

Archived