Two issues with simple .yaml new world mods

I'm trying to make some asteroids to scratch particular itches with simple additions to the streamingassets folder, no file clobbering or .dll packaging, and I'm running into some glitches with ONI's new mod system.

1) CONTENT HAS CHANGED - ONI is doing some kind of hash or integrity check every time the game is started, and (on Linux) it's always returning that content has changed and the game needs to restart.  This breaks the game if all mods are in mods/Local, by forcing the game to restart, meaning there's no way to continue unless the mod entries are deleted in mods.json.  Having any enabled mods in mods/Dev will only give a stern warning that you need to restart, EXCEPT if none of the affected mods are enabled, in which case it will also force a restart.

As a more minor issue, you should do content/version checks on disabled mods when they're enabled, not on startup.  If I've subscribed to Foo mod because it's a great idea and I'm keeping an eye on it, but am not using because it still sucks, active Foo development shouldn't spam restarts.  That's just discouraging all the way around.

2) Adding text strings - Replacing STRING.WHATEVER.IDENTIFIER with text for asteroid descriptions displays them as MISSING.description.  Which works, but it'd be nice to add the string for realsies.

[ETA] It occurs to me that linking the mods having these issues would be kind of useful:

https://github.com/facepalm/oni-extreme-worlds

If you use the test branch, then you can copy strings from StreamingAssets into your mod. Open it and delete all files other than strings_template.pot. Rename it to .po (the rest of the name doesn't matter). Open it and replace the vanilla strings with the strings you want to add.

I haven't tested it, but from what I read in the source code today, it looks like that's the proper way to add new strings with a mod. It might even allow translations of the string in question. It would be really interesting if it allows other mods to add the translated strings.

As for the mod reloading, look at mods.json. I have had a problem like that if status of a mod is set to 3. Set it to 1 to fix the problem. I already reported the problem, though since it's not labeled Fixed, I will assume you can still encounter it.

19 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

As for the mod reloading, look at mods.json. I have had a problem like that if status of a mod is set to 3. Set it to 1 to fix the problem. I already reported the problem, though since it's not labeled Fixed, I will assume you can still encounter it

No dice, unfortunately.  They're added with a status of 1 upon detection. 

Archived