can you show us your oc and your intended perks for your character, this will help us understand how much we can help

also some files may require specific tools to open but if your using steam you can download the don't starve mod tools to open some of these

This is my OC Sweetie she is faster than the normal players like Willow and Webber but is sorta like Willow that she is hard to survive in Winter because she is just a child. She doesn't mind the rain unless it is pouring. And her sanity drains lower in the darkness but has to sleep. (Causing her to pass out asleep will lower her sanity.)  And her tool is a pocket knife which is craftable with one flint and one stick. Also she loses sanity when you kill innocent animals or dig graves.   (and I have done that but it's still very confusing)

Edited by Pinkamena11FazP

I will need more info about which problems you're facing. What do you have now (possibly post a zip of your mod)? What do you need help for? Which files aren't opening on your computer? Specifics.

Check out the newcomer post. It should help you pass the first few hurdles, and prepare you to be able to tackle the coming hurdles better.

Yes, those downloads are safe. At least if you get them from the pinned tutorial posts or the newcomer post on this forum.And it's TEXtool. It's a tool to work with textures, just so you don't get confused ;)

But what is it you want to do? If you're not going to alter sounds in the game, but merely substitute them (e.g. when creating a new character with custom sounds, unless you have custom actions which need custom sounds, you'll just be replacing the base-sounds registered to your character), you shouldn't need FMOD or FSB Extractor.

What do you want to do?

Edited by Ultroman

I want to make a new Custom character with custom sounds. And I can't figure out how to not use FMOS to properly see the model I want to make.. I'm using a base from a recent "Papyrus character" and I want to draw my character instead of Papyrus and add sounds. I'm just really new to all this because I got the game three days ago. (And I'm a noobie) And Also I don't know how to do that.

Well, you're in for a long, bumpy ride, then. Modding is pretty intricate stuff. It'll probably go slower than you want it to, but you can do it if you really put some work into it.

Have you seen the Extended Character Template on the forums? It goes through most of what you need to set up a new character. This is a tutorial for how to create custom sounds for your character. These other posts may be of help, too.

Edited by Ultroman

While I am randomly also a musician making digital music, sound design is a very particular art-form which people take long educations to get good at. Also, without you here next to me, I would need A LOT more details on which sounds you want to put in (names, moods they should convey, etc.), how each of them should sound, etc. I wouldn't have any idea what to go for. That's gonna be a no from me. If you really just want Willow's voice, but pitched up, you can extract Willow's sound files, alter them in Audacity or something, and then go through the sound tutorials linked in my previous post, to create your own FSB and FEV files.

Edited by Ultroman

If you want us to help, then we need to know the errors you're getting (post your logs) and your code (zip of your mod).

Usually, invisible characters are because of erroneous references to animations and builds in the Lua or XML files.

How can I fix this? Do I need to do something about my character?

And I'm trying to get my files I made into wav's into fdp files or FSB file and a FEV file... if you could do me a soild and I give you the sounds could you please help me? 

Sweetie_Death_Voice.wav

Sweetie_Ghost_Voice.wav

Sweetie_Hurt_Voice.wav

Sweetie_Pose_Voice.wav

Sweetie_Voice.wav

Do you read what I write here? All the information you need about the sounds (also wav-to-fsb) are in the custom character sound tutorial I posted earlier, and I can't help you without your code (and, as a courtesy, your logs with the error, so I don't have to go recreate it first).

It's not called that. You're meant to substitute that name with the name of the character prefab you want.

5d250554960c8_2019-07-0923_16_17-Window.png.d3508a881893e78e981a48eb6115545e.png

And again, I can't help you without having your mod files. Zip up your mod and attach it to a reply here.

There are a bunch of things worth mentioning.

• The game never seems to use inst.components.locomotor.walkspeed for anything (unless I've missed something).

• Adding that many listeners for a single event ("killed") just to check whether the victim is a certain prefab, is a very inefficient way of giving different sanity penalties. Do something like this instead of all your listeners:.
    Spoiler

-- Put this somewhere above your character's master_postinit

-- kill_penalties is a dictionary with creature prefab names as keys and other dictionaries as values.
    -- The values are dictionaries which have stat-names as keys and the bonuses to each stat as values.
    local kill_penalties = {
    	butterfly = { sanity = -10 },
    	crow = { sanity = -10 },
    	-- With the code below, we have made it possible to add changes to all three stats. See example:
    	example = { health = -10, sanity = -10, hunger = -10 },
    }

-- Put this at the bottom of your character Lua's master_postinit:

inst:ListenForEvent("killed",
        function(inst, data)
            local victim = data.victim
            if(victim ~= nil) then
    			-- We look up the kill penalty in out dictionary, using the prefab-variable (prefab identifier)
    			-- of the item we killed.
    			local kill_penalty = kill_penalties[victim.prefab]

-- If we found an entry in our kill_penalties dictionary for the victim, apply the bonuses.
    			if kill_penalty ~= nil then
    				-- For each of the stat-bonuses we check that there is actually a stat entry
    				-- in the dictionary, before trying to apply it.

if kill_penalty["health"] then
    					inst.components.health:DoDelta(kill_penalty["health"])
    				end
    				if kill_penalty["sanity"] then
    					inst.components.sanity:DoDelta(kill_penalty["sanity"])
    				end
    				if kill_penalty["hunger"] then
    					inst.components.hunger:DoDelta(kill_penalty["hunger"])
    				end
    			end
            end
        end
    ) 

• Regarding the visibility of your character, the problem is with your anim-files. If you look at the beginning of the build.bin files in your anim zips, the builds are named "esctemplate" and "ghost_esctemplate_build", respectively, when they should be named "sweetie" and "ghost_sweetie_build", respectively.

• Why do you have all of these in your character's assets?
    Spoiler

Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_basic.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_idles_shiver.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_axe.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_pickaxe.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_shovel.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_blowdart.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_eat.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_item.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_uniqueitem.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_bugnet.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_fishing.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_boomerang.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_bush_hat.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_attacks.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_idles.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_rebirth.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_jump.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_amulet_resurrect.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_teleport.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/wilson_fx.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_one_man_band.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/shadow_hands.zip" ),

Edited by Ultroman

• Developer
12 minutes ago, Ultroman said:

The game never seems to use inst.components.locomotor.walkspeed for anything (unless I've missed something).

I think it's returned from locomotor:GetWalkSpeed() which is called to apply velocity to the physics body?

1 minute ago, bizziboi said:

I think it's returned from locomotor:GetWalkSpeed() which is called to apply velocity to the physics body?

That's true. I just can't find anywhere where it's actually used. I can only find things using the running speed. I've always been hesitant to set those variables directly, because of the ClientRunSpeed() and ServerRunSpeed() functions (and the other similar functions) in locomotor. I can't figure out how that whole system works.

• Developer

=

function LocoMotor:WalkForward(direct)
    self.isrunning = false
    if direct then self.wantstomoveforward = true end
    self.inst.Physics:SetMotorVel(self:GetWalkSpeed(),0,0)
    self:StartUpdatingInternal()
end

I mean, I just did a search, I haven't verified if there's a path leading there, but I think with controller or directional keys this gets called?