What can we expect in term of game length and replayability ?

If I understand the game well, each character has a written scenario with predefined events and the goal is to find a way to go through these events, restarting the game everytime you fail. I think it's a pretty cool concept but I'm a bit worried about the game length, the main mechanic in roguelites is randomness, every time you start a run you find different items, fight different ennemies in different places, that's how those games stay fresh and last for hundred of hours. But now with a predefined scenario, is there any reason to play the game once you finished a character scenario ? I guess there is multiple endings with each character but I don't think it's going to keep players in for a long time.

The game changes, I died at day 2, was able to (pick to) keep one friendship to the next game and the quests changed. Also you can play good or bad guy, fight or talk, I think there is a lot of replayability.

• Developer

We're very actively working on this game, so this is all in flux as we get feedback, but here's how it currently works:

The structure of each character's overall story is set, but only certain beats are fixed. Sal's first day, for example, starts with just the tiniest bit of exposition, and then you're given a couple of contracts from which to pick. These contracts are chosen from a pool, and cast different people in the various roles in the each time they are played, so it would be very rare to see the same configuration twice in a row. 

As you go about the world doing these contracts, you get random events and opportunities that draw from a pool as well. You're drafting cards for your combat and negotiation decks as you go, and reacting to their relative strengths and your current stats. So even when you do see a contract that you've seen on a previous playthrough, you may decide to fight or talk your way through it differently, depending on the state of the world and the state of your deck.

After doing a couple contracts and establishing a relationship with the card shopkeepers, Sal faces the game's first boss at the end of day one. There are actually two entirely different bosses that can spawn here, and they fight differently, so experienced players will have to make sure their deck is capable of taking on both. If you beat the boss, you do some more drafting and go to sleep to recover your stats and review your progress. There's a big factional alignment choice that Sal makes on day 2, which changes the job pool for that run, and gives you access to special cards and story beats.

Once you finish a given character's story for the first time, it unlocks harder difficulty settings. And you are continually unlocking more advanced cards to add to your drafting pools as you play, so there are new strategies to discover.

I agree, the scenario will interfere with replayability, even in spite of new cards. As I understand each character has basic cards, + - the decks will differ, but the base remains. There are variations to try yourself good or bad, fight or talk. Difficulty levels have not yet tried, but I think as the full chapter will be released, I will test in anticipation of the new content. A priori, the game needs an endless\survival mode or something like that. Do not rest on the scenario, please. By passing Invincible Inc. once, until the end I didn’t go through it anymore, there were attempts (maybe the problem is in me), endless mode, but i gave up.
A good idea with customization, a trifle does not affect the gameplay, but still nice. I believe that you can make cool game. After the trailer on E3 2019 I was a little upset, because you showed another game, but still buying (I adore you) and playing it, I got a pleasant feeling. Yes, it is wildly similar to the StS, but I did not like the StS, the graphic pushes me away. Your style of drawing and interesting mechanics hooked me.
Sorry for my eng, Russian fans loves you. Good luck!

Archived