An idea I had for PvE naval combat while coming down from anesthesia.

Normally, I’d be like “no, this isn’t a useful thread so I’m not gonna make it” but I’m in the mood to spew interesting nonsense while my mental barriers are still recovering. I mean, it wasn’t anything serious and I’m barely still feeling funny, but I’m leaning on it as a weak excuse to make a bonkers posts.

So, I’m thinking Sea Stacks aren’t interesting enough for sailing, so I came up with a fun mechanic. Might mod it in once I’ve got time off. Probably won’t, I can’t even mod a beard, lol, some CS student I am.

Urk I shouldn’t be posting in this condition. I’ll make an extra effort to stay on-topic from now on.

So, my idea to make the seas more dangerous: Other boats manned by NPCs, who try to sink you. In fighting back, the combat would naturally becomes a Guns of Icarus / Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime type deal, where people are running around manning stations, avoiding collisions, firing guns and fixing the hull. For this to work, let’s establish my ideas for the tools of the trade in naval combat. All the exact details are made up on the spot, so on the 1/1000000 chance I make this happen, they’re subject to extreme change.

Spoiler

Ship Cannon: 3 Cut Stone, 1 Gunpowder, 2 Gears

Is a medium for firing projectiles at other ships. Must be manned like a steering wheel to operate and reloaded with projectiles. 

Cannon Ammunition Types:

Cannonball: Costs 2 Stone at a filled potter’s wheel. Like statues, has three varieties, Cut Stone: 10 Hull damage, 10% chance to cause leak, Marble: 15 Hull damage, 20% chance to cause leak, Moon Glass: 25 Hull Damage, 100% chance to cause leak, 25% chance to cause LV2 leak instead. Cannonballs must be lugged like statues.

Bee Mine: Explodes into bees on impact, but does no direct damage. Bees die if the mine lands in water.

Firebomb: 5 Grass, 2 Nitre, 1 Electrical Doodad. Starts 3 hound-fires at point of impact.

Boarding Hook: 2 Rope, 1 Pickaxe: Has 10 uses. Allows boarding of a ship from further away. Has 10 uses.

Breaching Drill: 1 Spear, 3 Flint, 1 Rope: When right-clicked, 5 durability is consumed. After half a second of uninterrupted drilling, a breach is created. If the mouse button is held for another half-second of uninterrupted drilling, the breach is upgraded at no cost to durability.

Battering Ram: 2 Beefalo Horns, 3 Cut Stone, 1 Board. Must be placed on the edge of a ship. When manned, can be slid around the perimeter of the ship. When the Ram hits the enemy ship during a collision, it deals 40 Hull damage and greater knockback. Protects your ship from collision damage when hit. After 40 collisions, one beefalo horn will break, removing 20 damage until replaced.

With these tools, enemy ships can be combated. Enemy ships are like yours, except masts are black with a light-blue crossbones, and upon defeat, enemy ships drop a single use, uncraftable item that can be used to restore 100 Hull Integrity.

Not all enemy ships are created equal. Ships spawn a screen-width away from a ship, out of sight of any players, explicitly to hunt that particular ship and being customized to match that ships difficulty. Should the ship escape, they will eventually despawn. Here are the rules for ship creation:

Spoiler

Each ship is assigned a difficulty value based on their spawn conditions:

Default: 1 Difficulty

Enemy Players: +1 Difficulty Each

Full Moon Cycle: +1 Difficulty

Time Survived (World): +1 Difficulty per 70 Days, max +5 at 350 days.

Somewhat close to Fractured Islands: +1 Difficultly

Very close to Fractured Islands: +2 Difficulty (Non-stacking with somewhat close)

Here’s what  difficulty is spent on: (Crewmember’s actions are detailed below)

0 Difficulty: Fractured Captain Crewmember, Mast, Steering Wheel, Anchor

1-3 Difficulty: A random selection of these options, picking 1 option per point of difficulty:

• Battering Ram, Fractured Quadruped Crewmember
  • Cannon, Pottery Wheel, Fractured Gadabout Crewmember
  • Fractured Ruffian Crewmember

4 Difficulty: Additional Mast, Ice Flingomatic (Perhaps a reskinned, pirate-y Ice Flingomatic)

Each Subsequent Difficulty: +50 Hull Integrity, +25 Crewmember HP

But who, exactly, are we fighting *against?*. This is where be being slightly high on anesthesia comes into play: as if it hadn’t somehow already...

They’re Moon-Fractured versions of Singleplayer exclusive characters, who are retconed to be unplayable in Together because they canonically died to the moon, and we’re corrupted. Like uncorrupted characters, they can respawn after death, so they can be reused.

I simultaneously love and hate this idea. It’s the most completely ridiculous retcon and I love it anyways.

I divided the enemy tasks into 5 types:

Fix Breaches

Man Steering Wheel

Man Cannons and Make Ammunition

Man Battering Ram

Board Players

When the ship is breached, the nearest enemy drops everything to fix it. Otherwise, a character attempts do do their favourite task by their personal priorities, listed below. If they favour a task more the the person performing it, they will kick off their teammate and replace them.

Here’s the characters and what they do:

Spoiler

Fractured Captain (Woodlegs): 150 HP, 60% Armour.

1st Priority: Man Steering Wheel

2nd Priority: Board Players

3rd Priority: Man Cannon and Make Ammunition

4th Priority: Man Battering Ram

Perk: Mast turns at 3x speed. 2x ship speed while manning steering wheel.

Fractured Gadabout (Walani): 120 HP, 60% Armour

1st Priority: Man Cannons and Make Ammunition

2nd Priority: Man Battering Ram

3rd Priority: Board Players

4th Priority: Man Steering Wheel

Perk: Carries and crafts Cannonballs faster. Faster at patching breaches.

Fractured Quadruped (Wilbur): 125 HP, 25% Armour

1st Priority: Man Battering Ram

2nd Priority: Man Cannons and Make Ammunition

3rd Priority: Man Steering Wheel

4th Priority: Board Enemies

Perk: Moves Ram and Cannonballs faster. Prefers to attack from afar with thrown objects.

Fractured Ruffian (Wheeler): 140 HP, 80% Armour (Stuck with the characters base hp for the other 3. Made an exception b/c she frequents melee.

1st Priority: Board Players

2nd Priority: Man Steering Wheel

3rd Priority: Man Cannon and Make Ammunition

4th Priority: Man Battering Ram

Perk: Extra Boarding Hook range, can dodge attacks.

Footnote: Pirates only spawn far-ish rom land. While you can’t boat-bridge oceans without risk, one or two rafts will be safe. Also why the hell did you read this entire pile of vaguely cohenrent words.

1 hour ago, The 2C3D said:

They’re Moon-Fractured versions of Singleplayer exclusive characters, who are retconed to be unplayable in Together because they canonically died to the moon, and we’re corrupted. Like uncorrupted characters, they can respawn after death, so they can be reused.

where was this retconned?

Archived