Getting List of Tags

I am messing around with some testing trying to learn a few things to make a simple mod.  One of these things that I will need to do is check tags of prefabs around myself.  I have learned a little about FindEntities and how it has filters.  So for simplicity sake I just made a function that I can call from the console to print out all the tags of entities around me.

-- For debugging tables.
function dump(o)
   if type(o) == 'table' then
      local s = '{ '
      for k,v in pairs(o) do
         if type(k) ~= 'number' then k = '"'..k..'"' end
         s = s .. '['..k..'] = ' .. dump(v) .. ','
      end
      return s .. '} '
   else
      return tostring(o)
   end
end

G = GLOBAL
T = G.TUNING
RECIPETABS = G.RECIPETABS
Recipe = G.Recipe
Ingredient = G.Ingredient

function G.ShowMeStuff()

local me = G.AllPlayers[1]
	local x,y,z = me.Transform:GetWorldPosition()
	local ents = TheSim:FindEntities(x,y,z,3)

for k,v in pairs(ents) do			
			print(dump(v.tags))
	end	
end

@Ultroman Yes I do need help. Everything that is printed comes back as nil. I have tried this around saplings, spiders, pigs, bunnymen, trees, multiplayer portal etc... Everything always returns nil.

Edited by Silisiban

First, you should use ipairs instead of pairs when iterating a list. With pairs, k becomes the key and v becomes the value, which is valuable when you have a dictionary, but since tags WOULD BE (see below) a list, it doesn't have keys, it only has values. ipairs puts the index in k and the value in v.

More importantly, though...where did you get the idea that there's a tags variable with a list of tags? We can only use HasTag, AddTag and RemoveTag. I'm sorry I didn't think of this earlier...I was too focused on fixing the problem, that I didn't consider to think about what you were actually trying to do.

Edited by Ultroman

@Ultroman I have no idea where I got the idea other then just logic. If there is has tag or add tag or remove tag I would assume that somewhere tags are stored to be checked.  So is there no way to find out what tags a prefab has at any given time?

I actually don't know. I haven't been able to find anything in the code, other than this in entityscript.lua

function EntityScript:AddTag(tag)
    self.entity:AddTag(tag)
end

function EntityScript:RemoveTag(tag)
    self.entity:RemoveTag(tag)
end

function EntityScript:HasTag(tag)
    return self.entity:HasTag(tag)
end

These are functions we call. Apparently they just relay the call to the actual entity, which I believe is an engine object, which we can only access through its global functions. I can't find a script for it, at least. Perhaps v.entity.tags works?

6 minutes ago, Ultroman said:

I actually don't know. I haven't been able to find anything in the code, other than this in entityscript.lua

function EntityScript:AddTag(tag)
    self.entity:AddTag(tag)
end

function EntityScript:RemoveTag(tag)
    self.entity:RemoveTag(tag)
end

function EntityScript:HasTag(tag)
    return self.entity:HasTag(tag)
end

These are functions we call. Apparently they just relay the call to the actual entity, which I believe is an engine object, which we can only access through its global functions. I can't find a script for it, at least. Perhaps v.entity.tags works?

Ah, there's no table that stores these tags- they're integrated as userdata since the tags are networked as strings.

To get a lump sum of tags you'd have to get the entity's debug string and parse the blob to get a list of tags.

If I recall, then the tags themselves might be limited and get truncated with some dots if it's too large.  Been a while since I used it.