Let's have a talk about lore and content - Old or New.

Hello I have been playing DS/DST from a long long time (I started when RoG was in beta). And made an acc in this forum specially for DST. Having said that I want to talk about the lore... or to be more specific about the tone of the lore.

DS (base DS,you could include RoG too) had a more dark tone, a everything was cute but at the same dark, and the undertone of it away's creeped me.

Examples-

1.The intro trailer Wilson was tricked to enter the DST world, he used his own blood and other stuff to build the portal. The use of blood says enough to me. That this is something dark/forbidden.

2.Maxwell examination. For example the tall bird- a fail experiment he just released...

3.The many dead Wilson (that we don't have confirmation or any info about this) that I think is the same Wilson but he just revives and repeats and learns from his mistakes, I made a topic about it a few years ago. I will put a longer explanation in spoilers(with all story and how I think it goes) ... it will be long.

!!!ALL STORY IN SOPILER I might have missed some stuff!!!

Spoiler

To put it simply I think he is like us - you are a new comer just starting the game and you die from the dark, Next game (secound life) you know about it and die from something else. And this keeps going and going until you learn everything. I think that Wilson has done the same he died then revived milion times, until he kind/not really goes insane and builds the DST portal (if you remember that puzzel) it's kinda how he made the first portal (from the radio).

Before that he even tries the sea (SW) and the skies (hamlet) even the ground below (caves)... But despite all this and all his deads and knowledge there, the only answer is the story mode (maxwell portal). So he takes the throne, starts to act as "god" (changing stuff) but Charlie helps him escape, and absorbs his power(also kills him) then he falls in the nothing (portal) and revives in a new world (as everytime he dies) but this time He is send to the world where Maxwell already is (he died and revived). After they meet the magic of Maxwell + science of Wilson create a new,bettter portal (that charlie after some time redecorates) and it connect to the other characters worlds. That brings everybody to one world = DST

This world is build by Maxwell (mostly). The ruins were already there. The old civilization, and perhaps the ones that actually let the shadows (I think the shadows are "they") Into this world and "they" just want a show to watch. I think they put the throne just to see what mortals will do with god powers. If you have god like powers, it will get really boring... because you can have everything you want.

It also feels (to me) that Charlie slowly but surely expands and corrupts into DS world.

So far so good. But then with the event's we open the shadow gate, and it send us to other worlds, and our world gets the name - the constant (I think this is the middle ground between many worlds). Also constant means a world that will aways be there. So many other races/worlds want this (and maybe they want the throne (basicly to be gods)). But I'm not sure if the throne controls all worlds or just this worlds.

This new stuff comes from nowhere I haven't even though about it's meaning as i'm not sure if this is cannon/side/main story.

I expected after we open the portal from it to pour a new threat, permanent threat to the game. But it's just we go to another world to protect them from comming into our world, no real explanation why we are against them. if they want the throne OK let them come I don't think they can even touch Charlie. It feels like an excuse for the event's, not something that is cannon.

And this is where I'm devided and the reason I made this topic, this new lore, don't really fit, they feel wierd to me. The story goes from dark smart and creepy to a ... television show... that changes channels - first you go arena then a cooking show... I need to know how to think about those stories before commenting about them. Are they cannon/side/main story.

And for the future I want to wait for the beta update (mid May).

4. The creatures/bosses they are a mix from 2 or many creatures into 1 (or extinct creatures). They might look cute, but if you think about it it's kinda creepy.

5. How some creatures - Pigs/bunnies/merms Have names - They are actual living stuff, like humans, hell they might have been humans. And we eat them, Kill them, Farm them. Not to mention the Pig skin.

6.The characters all of them have somekind of a tragic backstory,or something that is close to a psychological diseases. Talking with objects,loving fire too much, begin obssesed with vikings (and thinking you are one), depression.

7.Cannibalism - spiders eat their owns (after they are dead), Tallbirds eats/fight they small ones, Catcoons kill and eat earch others.

I really love this dark undertone

Now (SW,hamlet,the events, Even the season event's thou I like those)- They are a bit more tame... player friendly, not that many dark stuff, many creatures look ....they look more friendly ... not everything is dark and grim. Even Winona is a bit... tame. EDITED* Thou Wortox is nice and I do like his soul eating/snatching it has some dark subtone, to eat/use the souls of others. Then again Wortox is from the even newer content ,the content after the events and Winona (that gives me hope for the future).

I want to discuss this ! Do you prefer the old (more dark)lore/content or this new more friendly lore/content. Feel free to comment about the lore, about my views and wich one do you prefer. I might have missed stuff or just be wrong about things. The new update will show us where the lore/content is going.

Lastly I will edit this often to add stuff I might have missed. To fix typos.

For me I think it's obvious I prefer the old style of lore/content.

34 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

Thou Wortox is nice but he is not cannon(I might be wrong here).

JoeW said he doesn't do much stuff in the normal timeline ( WC puzzles - The Gorge )

that doesn't mean he isn't canon reeee

Also I think the deep lore is sad, in Hamlet Wilba has no father.

4 hours ago, 1v0 said:

For me I think it's obvious I prefer the old style of lore/content.

together has always had a dark maroon feel like inviting and fancy

classic has a bright blue almost teal cold heartless yet you can't look away from it as it unfolds

i like teal better

6 hours ago, 1v0 said:

Now (SW,hamlet,the events, Even the season event's thou I like those)- They are a bit more tame... player friendly, not that many dark stuff, many creatures look ....they look more friendly ... not everything is dark and grim. Even Winona is a bit... tame. Thou Wortox is nice but he is not cannon(I might be wrong here).

Oh yeah, because literally getting turned into a hideous Fish because you dont feed some super oversized Wormhole-Demi-God which has its preferences and acts like some fat king on a throne demanding infinite food is totally family friendly. It literally wiped out most of the townsfolk there until around 7 remain

34 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Oh yeah, because literally getting turned into a hideous Fish because you dont feed some super oversized Wormhole-Demi-God which has its preferences and acts like some fat king on a throne demanding infinite food is totally family friendly. It literally wiped out most of the townsfolk there until around 7 remain

Oh yeah, because literally having fuel of your worst nightmares crawl out of your orifices and make you transform into a mineral while your soul is tormented as the robot breaks down your remains and makes a crown out of it that is totally family friendly. Shadows literally wiped out all the Ancients until you revived one with the same stuff that made them get tormented for only darkness knows long.

I didn't say all of it is player friendly and certainly not family friendly, but it's more than before. I don't know exactly how to explain it but I think something is missing. Maybe it's just because I'm used to DS/DST. But still I have the feeling that the creepy factor is somehow gone from some stuff.

As for Wortox I understood wrongly, I will edit that part in the start.

Archived