Re-work Cartographer's desk

My suggestion is simple, change the name from "cartographer's desk" to "workstation", so the following makes more sense. In it you can make the following:

1. A map scroll of the world you are in (surface or cave) about what you have explored that other players can read to gain this knowledge. So, basic cartographer's desk functionality. The cost of course would be 1 feather pencil, and 1 papyrus.
  2. A prototype scroll containing all stuff prototyped by the character that you can give to another player, which upon use, unlocks all prototypes they don't have (e.g. Wickerbottom player makes a prototype scroll and gives it to a non-Wickerbottom player, now this character can make a backpack without having to prototype it first). Obviously it doesn't work with character specific crafting recipes like Willow's lighter, and also workstation exclusive recipes like the ones form the ancient pseudoscience station. The cost again is 1 feather, and 1 papyrus. This would be useful for newcomers to a world: you give them one of this and they no longer need to prototype so many unnecessary stuff in an already stablished world (and eliminate the annoying exclamation marks).
  3. Finally, you are able to make blueprints of character specific crafting recipes. Of course, only the character owner of the recipe can make them, and it cost the feather pencil and papyrus plus some extra: so, "Willow's lighter blueprint" can only be crafted by Willow, and it will cost 1 feather pencil, 1 papyrus, and 1 Willow's lighter.

Anyway, a full list of character specific items that should be available are as follow (assume they all have a base cost of 1 papyrus and 1 feather pencil):

Spoiler

Willow:

• Willow's lighter. Requires 1 Willow's lighter. Appears in light tab.
  • Bernie. Requires 1 Bernie. Appears in survival tab.

Wickerbottom:

• All her books. The cost is 1 of the book itself. But only characters with the reader tag can learn them (only Maxwell and modded characters for the time being). Appear in book tab.

Wigfrid:

• Wigfrid's helmet. Requires 1 Wigfrid's helmet. Appears in fight tab.
  • Wigfrid's spear. Requires 1 Wigfrid's spear. Appears in fight tab.

Winona:

• Trusty tape. Requires 1 trusty tape. Appears in dress tab (were it used to be).
  • Winona's catapult. Requires 10 papyrus and 10 feather pencil instead of 1 of each, also needs 10 rocks. Appears in science tab.
  • Winona's spotlight. Requires 10 papyrus and 10 feather pencil instead of 1 of each, also needs 10 fireflies. Appears in science tab.
  • Winona's generator. Requires 10 papyrus and 10 feather pencil instead of 1 of each, also needs 10 nitre. Appears in science tab.
  • Winona's GEMerator. Requires 10 papyrus and 10 feather pencil instead of 1 of each, also needs 10 electrical doodads. Appears in science tab.

"But... why the last suggestion?" Two reasons:

1. If you are playing one of this characters, you might be asked to build a certain stuff often. You can mass-craft and call it a day, or you can make some of this blueprints, give it to your friends, and they no longer need to ask you to craft them something when they can craft them themselves, so no need to wait for it, and no need to disturb you from whatever you are doing.
  2. The moon portal already opened the possibility of this in a similar fashion to the point stated above: you take Winona, you build a bunch of GEMerators with catapults, change for another character, and change back when you need her again. With this you will not need to do that: you change for Winona, get her blueprints, change character again, learn the blueprints, and you can do it yourself.

"But... wouldn't this make X character useless? I mean, the moon portal already kind of does this, but this would be the nail on the coffin" I don't think so. People will always play their favorite character, which is why there are people playing Wigfrid over Wolfgang, or Wilson, Woodie over Maxwell, etc. This wouldn't change anything and would just increase the versatility of each character.

"Ok, but this for sure removes the uniqueness of each character" Not quite. Maybe for Wickerbottom it does as she doesn't have anything very unique outside of her books. But the other characters have some extra features that can't be added to the other characters: Willow has fire resistance and insane freezing, Winona has faster crafting and darkness resistance, and Wigfrid has increased damage, inherent armor, and vampirism.

And, that's it. Give your opinion, and what not.

i really like the second craft but i feel like it should be slightly more expensive as you can make a single blueprint be worth every boss' rare blueprint

now about the third craft option... i personally dont like the idea that some characters can be discarded as soon as you craft their stuff in the world as much as i dont like the celestial portal and its ability to let you swap characters at will; so yea... not a fan of this concept, even though the celestial portal, in my opinion, already did a lot of damage

On 4/26/2019 at 5:00 AM, Datanon said:

i really like the second craft but i feel like it should be slightly more expensive as you can make a single blueprint be worth every boss' rare blueprint

now about the third craft option... i personally dont like the idea that some characters can be discarded as soon as you craft their stuff in the world as much as i dont like the celestial portal and its ability to let you swap characters at will; so yea... not a fan of this concept, even though the celestial portal, in my opinion, already did a lot of damage

Yeah, maybe it should be more expensive or not include boss blueprints.

I don't think the celestial portal did barely any damage at all, the only thing it did was prolong the life of some servers because you no longer need to make an entire new world or change servers in order to play and try a new character. People "abusing" it is worth it, IMO.

Archived