What is your set-up? Looking at hosting multiple dedicated servers.

I'm building my own desktop computer and would like to run ~5 DST dedicated servers (all including caves) from it. I see the requirements (also why does the url spell it requrirements?), but I'm wondering the amount of power the computer will need to dish out in order to run ~5 instances.

Do any of you run multiple instances on the same computer? If so what is your build and how much of your CPU/GPU is being used while running them?

Thank you :)

4 hours ago, X-lem said:

why does the url spell it requrirements?

Typo, and they prob kept it because changing URLs messes up people's bookmarks.

4 hours ago, X-lem said:

Do any of you run multiple instances on the same computer? If so what is your build and how much of your CPU/GPU is being used while running them?

While I don't have any actual experience with that many servers under load, I do have a little xp on a tad smaller scale setups.

My personal rule of thumb is to have at least 1 core and 1Gb of RAM per dedicated instance, while also having the recources for the OS and background processes. That said, if you start running multiple servers in parallel on the same machine the core/instance becomes less and less important. (Given, that you still have a decent amount of processing power.) Higher CPU Single Core speed -> Better Performance.
GPU is not needed, since dedicated Instances run without graphics, and graphics on these kind of Systems just waste recources.

For example if you want to run a single Overworld+Cave setup on Linux it'd be like this:
2Gb RAM + 2 Cores for the server
800Mb RAM + 1 Core for the OS+Background (That's about what a normal Linux needs.)
-> 2,8Gb RAM rounded up to 4Gb and 3 Cores, instead take a quad core.

For your example you'd be running 10 Instances, and while technicially >10 cores would guarantee the best performance, in reality that'd not really noticable compared to a 8-Core CPU cause it's usually pretty rare to have all instances under heavy load. (Lots of players playing at once while running around, etc.) On the other hand less cores means a higher chance of the servers slowing eachother down during peak times.

I's personally go for a 8 Core CPU (as indicated before) due to the gap of pricing to the first >8 Core CPU and the gain. Prob something like a Ryzen.
Also I'd go for straight up 16Gb of RAM. This gives you plenty of headroom Any less would result in uneven numbers like 12. (Uneven numbers or RAM kits-> 2x4Gb+2x2Gb)

Archived