The game's priority buttons should trap the mouse

I posted this as a bug but I don't recall having seen any response to that so I'll try here.

Have you ever doubted your sanity because you changed the priority on something but when you go back and look later it's set to 5? The reason for this is that you in fact did click the priority button (the numbers) before you painted the area with the mouse, you just didn't release the mouse button before you moved it off the priority button graphic.

I have to click the buttons and pause or I'll go too fast and the game will ignore my clicks, and this is a pain in the butt. The game is very polished but this is a rough spot and it should be fixed.

The game should register a click on the priority buttons on mouse down rather than mouse up. These buttons should register the click immediately, because people tend to click on them very rapidly in order to change stuff. There are other buttons where a click should be registered on mouse up, but not these.

I use the priority tool, by clicking the arrow along the bottom edge of the screen, nearer to the right-hand corner. A bunch of numbers come up. I click on one and it doesn't catch my click, because I'm clicking too casually.

If you have something like a "destroy earth" button, you normally signal that the user has clicked this button when the mouse button comes up while over the button. That indicates a pretty affirmative click. If you have a "fire one of millions of rounds of ammunition" button, it's more likely you want to catch this when the mouse button goes down.

I think this should function like the latter but it functions like the former.

Assuming current priority is 5, Go into that tool, click the "7" but don't lift your finger. Move the mouse off the button and lift your finger. You'll be back at 5. I think the priority should change the moment I click the 7, regardless of where the mouse is when I lift my finger.

A good example of when the former behavior is appropriate is when I click the "submit reply" button here. I can click it and it does nothing unless I release the mouse button while my pointer is over it. An example of the latter behavior is if I click a tab in my browser's tab bar. The tab changes instantly even if I don't release the mouse.

Okay, i can reproduce your problem. But i am very sorry, in my opinion, this is not the games fault, but you should "learn" how to use a mouse.

Thats not meant to be rude at all. But its common in the whole world of computers. If you dont click right, you havent clicked at all. I dont think KLEI will change anything, just because you have a problem using a mouse the way it´s meant to be used. 

Maybe your problem is related to the lag in the priority overlay in the current QOL3 version?

It is possible that there is lag in the UI because I'm using an older computer. This is still something of a problem because I am having problems with this and I do not have problems with other software. And I've had this problem since before QOL1. I can't believe that nobody else has clicks fail to register in the priority tool. It's a very frequent problem when I play.

Archived