Alterations to new Skills System

I'm playing the preview branch, and based on my experience with the new skill system, I have some suggestions.  (This is a copy from the general discussion forum)

I feel like a skill based system makes some sense, but I think it isn't very good yet because it trivializes morale.  I can do anything I want in the early game with 3 morale, and then instantly have an astronaut when I need one.  Also, we can completely ignore entire trees because of lack of effect.  Plus, I would like to be able to start specializing my dupes from the beginning.  I think that a few changes are needed:

1.  All dupes should start with 1 skill point in the beginning.
  2. You can only have 1 unspent skill at a time.  If you haven't spent it, the dupe doesn't gain experience and can't level up to get a new skill point (assuming every skill requires 1 skill point)
  3. The skill remover removes a single skill point AND reduces the level of the dupe by 1 (potentially excluding the original skill point)
  4. High level construction should have an effect other than speed.  Perhaps any building that requires refined metals requires construction 1, plastics requires construction 2, and steel and space materials requires construction 3.
  5. A similar alteration with cooking, where higher tier food requires a higher level cook.
  6. Top level mining should have an effect.  Perhaps making digging diamond take mining 3.

In summery, I think that all skills, especially the high level skills, should have an effect other than stats and stockpiling skill points should be prevented.

Also, the impossibly high morale requirement for dupes who are jack of all trades is fine in my opinion.  No dupe should be expected to do everything and it increases the complexity of dupe management.

if changing skills is going to require a respec, please at least give me an apply button to prevent my idiot misclicks.

For skill/morale cost - maybe a combination of old and new systems?
Like, skills are in those old tiers of 1/2/4/8/12/etc. As before, dupe's required morale increases by this number when you take the skill. Then, if you take some other skill of same tier, req morale increases not by full value but by 1 or 1/2/3/4 depending on tier. You still have to pay full skill points cost for the new skill.
This way, high tier skills still will be for mid-game but you can train all dupes in low level skills if you want bunch of jack-of-all-trades.

I agree ONLY with higher tiers needing more skill.

For the other points i find totally better the following:

- Skill points can stockpile no problems its like real life even.

- Higher tier jobs should do more ex: cooker +1 food quality on medium tier and even add another master tier for cook to +2 and cook spd.

- Mechatronics engineer should be last tier of construction " suggested by sasza22 in another post".

- Respecing 1 poing would be to boring and depressive to me, just make the dupe lose half of its total pool of skill points and its fine i guess, but your point makes sense just too slow respect 1 point per use.

- Agreed with cooking restrictions, makes total sense.

- Launch idea is kinda usefull, and gave me some ideas that i think i will write and post soon on general or suggestions or feedback :).

- Nah, mining is fine, makes sense what you said anyway if they want to put ok if not also ok for me.

Edit: the launch part i read elsewhere and ended up commenting here buts a nice related idea anyway, the person who wrote the launch thing was AncientRadioSta on game changing essentials imo topic.

Archived