the player should be allowed to set up hidden sub-priority levels

Sometimes, it's really annoying to see duplicants do a job before another because of some hidden sub-priority. For example, building pipes before walls, pick-up one material instead of another one.

We have priority levels to manage this in some case, but, for example, if I want to set up the construction of 2 rooms, but need that my duplicants build one before the second, it's not always possible to set up every priority levels. And it's better to just give a highest priority on all building errands for the first room.

We could also want auto-sweepers to pick up one type of material prior to another one, in a room. For example, storing oxylite before supplying gold to the refinery.

To solve this problem, I suggest to "steal" an idea from an old game : The Settlers 2.

This game had a simple system, where the player can set up priority for the transport of each material :

5c86a168b08a6_thesettlers2prioritysetting.thumb.png.fe79031cf00d63cf499d705584ae1e22.png

Not really complicated, we just had to move the icons up or down to respectively increase or lower the priority.

This could be included in ONI, to manage the sub-priority, so that it would be set according to the player's preferences, instead of dev's preferences. :p 

Archived