Warbucks

Warbucks is, or was a character I was looking forward to play. Honestly, any new character is something exciting for me in Don't Starve. I got my hands on Hamlet (Finally!) a couple days ago and kept playing until I unlocked Warbucks today after collecting enough EXP. Then, he wasn't there in the character selection screen. After I have searched about this "bug", I was led to this forum and saw the mess that took place here and oh, how disappointed I felt. I want Warbucks back.

Dear Klei, removing Warbucks from the game was in my opinion, the worst course of action if he was indeed offensive, uninteresting or unfitting. Those reasons can have a better work-around, especially since he was released. Klei, the reason you scrapped 4 or 5 unreleased characters before is they clearly had problems when you tested them. But Warbucks was tested by you and was approved and given the green light. Also you mentioned that literally no one complained to you about him when people played him.

Klei, your reasoning to remove him doesn't make sense to me. In one post you say that he is boring to play (which means, gameplay-wise) and in another that his perks (gameplay) can make a return, but not him as a character. Which one is it? Actually, it doesn't matter. Both can be fixed without deleting him.

I'm here to propose a compromised solution;

Release an optional patch that re-enables Warbucks. Those who dislike and don't want to play him won't have him in their game while I, and those who like him can still play him without relying on a third party mod that has the potential to cause troubles with each update. I just want him to be officially released. At the same time, you might get new cool ideas that would work on him which would be vastly appreciated since there would be a loving player base for him.

I love this game. I bought Don't Starve and its all DLC & DST for myself and my 3 siblings and I have over 800 hours spent on them. Please, do me and those who agree with me a favor and release him. I want to maintain this image of you, that you are one of the best game companies out there. Because what you have done, makes you look bad.

This effort could be fruitless, but I needed to get this off my chest as I was put-off today from the game after I learnt about this awful incident.

Thank you for reading.

Let me adress some of your points here 

1 hour ago, Meruem1 said:

Klei, the reason you scrapped 4 or 5 unreleased characters before is they clearly had problems when you tested them.

It's not about the problems in testing. The decisions of making a cast of characters involve a big picture perspective of how they want their game to be, and for it to follow a concept. There is a specific flow and picture they want to achieve as you put together all the pieces of the game universe. 

Those reasons can have a better work-around, especially since he was released.

They talked about how the effort of making Warbucks interesting as a character was using precious time of a small development team, that could be better used in making other characters to replace him. Also, he was released in early access. 

Also you mentioned that literally no one complained to you about him when people played him.

Yes, people were very *neutral* about him. They want characters people were excited about. You mentioned yourself you haven't played him yet. Gameplay-wise there are zero things exciting. He's no Wickerbottom with her books, Wendy with her ghost sister, Wolfgang with his form changes, etc. But avoid comparisons with other DLC characters, they have explicitly said they are not satisfied with the way they made new characters in other DLCs and wat to take the opportunity with this one to take a more unique approach to them. Hence the scrapping of such a neutral character. They could just leave him as he was and add more stuff. That would be like watering the soup of the project. They want a consistent and robust work.

gameplay can make a return, but not him as a character. Which one is it?

Both. One or other aspects of his gameplay may make a return, not his gameplay as a whole. At all. Why not just add to his perks? I would bet the perks they would want to add wouldn't make sense with his character. Not many interesting thigs would. 

In all, I guarantee you the only advantage some people had with Warbucks was relating to an explorer. They already announced the future release of an explorer character. You'll be fine. If you miss that specific design so much, get a mod.

Regards, the beater of a dead horse.

@sinisterrkid

I appreciate your response. I'm aware that this is their game and they are free to do whatever they see fit. However, seeing the character in the trailer and then in-game, shown to be unlocked and find out that it was removed, left me confused and then coming here to find out what happened, that was a negative experience.

I'm indeed late on this dead topic. I made this post to express my frustration, and propose a hopefully simple (code-wise) solution that should in my opinion satisfy both sides.

Archived