My thoughts on the Smelter and ideas i provide to make it better + Alloy suggestions

The smelter in don't starve is an item exclusive to hamlet, it takes 6 cut stone, 4 boards and 1 red gem to craft.

It turns iron ore into alloy, however thats it, thats all it can do. That one feature is useful, because thats one of the ways you can get alloy But, it's still pretty lackluster Heres how i think it can be improved. 

Smelting tools/armor into their basic components. 

This feature would allow you to put a halberd or Fancy Helmets/Tin suits in there and smelt it into alloy, You wouldn't get the other resouces needed to craft it, instead you would get ash if corks, twigs, or something else flammable was made with the weapons/armor

Now thats a pretty good feature, but why stop there? Maybe we can smelt more with it

Stuff like, All other tools/weapons either made of Obsidian/gold/flint/thulecite

Of course resmelting tools like this might need a price, i'd say for every non-hamlet item you smelt you get 75% of the resouces back. To balance it out a little. 

Now thats pretty much all i had for the smelter, Now moving on to alloy

When the closed beta was out, personally i thought iron ore/alloys were a pretty revolutionary item that was added

For the first time, we got an actual ore/ingot added to the game We have alot of possibilities here

We could start with Iron walls, basically walls made out of alloy It would probably have the same health/strength as the moonrock walls in DST or just slightly weaker thulecite walls (These walls are not susceptible to wind)

There can also be a nerf applied to ice boxes (only in hamlet worlds) were you would need alloy to craft them, but i'm not sure about that one.

Thats mostly it for what i have to offer in terms of alloy, thanks for listening

Archived