Current state of conservation of energy in game

I've been playing for quite some time.  Enjoyably so I might add.  But I continue to come across purists in the community who suggest this, that or the other, and demand changes due to scientific beliefs.

The current state of the game is a little rough and edgy.  It's not quite a crisp feel, but that's expected.  It's in development.  I praise these developers for continuously aiming to serve the community's wishes, but not entirely bending and giving anything that would detract from the quality and challenge we have come to love.  With the formalities out of the way...

This game is NOT scientifically accurate.  It is a game.  Until generators consume oxygen at a combustion ratio equivalent to engines in real life, until hydrogen  generators also produce water as a byproduct, and until deodorizers no longer completely tame the slime biome single handedly.... 1 deodorizer... The communities purists will need to take a moment to sit back and let the masses enjoy the imaginative nature of over-pressurized vents, door pumps, and fixed temp output buildings.  Again, it's a rough, edgy, game in development.  Not even "rough."  Just underpolished.  I love it.  I have to defend it and the buildings floating in space attached by nothing but a 1 tile empty space to a ladder...

It's a game cloning mismatched researchers and drama.  I doubt this is a sticky-worthy topic, but a needed reminder that reality is reality.  This is a game.

You almost mince emotions. You're furthering their cause by divesting interest in their cause explicitly. Do you realize this?

I think we agree, it's like an itch begging to be scratched. But don't scratch that itch. We know it's not reality, I think we would rather it divest from reality entirely so long as it remains relatable. For everyone's sake, it would bring a lot less confusion to the table.

Mixing science and funsics, and genetic ooze, and so on. There's bound to be some science nerds and the savvy around here. If Klei doesn't divest from science based reality entirely, then those people are going to be the first to notice, and to heck with actual game balance...

The real issue those folks have is not factoring sim time vs real time - that simulation time is not the same time that scince knows, and the two cannot be compared easily. It's just not meant to be.

DTU = some measure of joules for science folks. They should just drop the equivalence entirely.

Of course the game isn`t scientificly accurate. It`s a simulation and needs to be simplified. Some stuff is inaccurate just so the game is enjoyable. The amounts of CO2 produced are much lower than they should be and combustion generators aren`t using oxygen. It`s all fine, the general player doesn`t think about that too much. It`s made so we have the tools to manage the waste created and it can be done without a constant struggle and living on the edge.

On the other hand there are things that don`t make sense. A few drops of water on top of a few drops of polluted water can perfectly seal off a tunnel high enough to walk through. A few drops of liquid on a gas vent makes it pump infinite amounts of gas ignoring the pressure of it. A water sieve outputs water at a fixed temperature no matter the input temps but still doesn`t kill germs in the process. Those things are both very powerful tools for managing gasses and temperatures and things completely counter intuitional for new players

We can just make everybody learn the weird mechanics and decide if they want to use them or not. Or we might complain about them in hopes they get changed.

I can live with oxygenless generators because there is good gameplay reason to make them such, and its hard to find better way. But water sieve fixed output i wont accept until someone explain: why it should be like this, there is no good reason make fixed output temperature for water sieve.

Electrolyzer have issues, there fixed output more or less compromise(but mostly because hydrogen's heat capacity screwed compared to it's for water and oxygen).

Archived