Choppy Animations from Server Tick Rate being set to 60

Hello,

I currently am running a dedicated server and as per user request have manually edited the server's tick rate to be 60 in the cluster.ini
After doing this however when I logged back into the server I noticed specifically character animations appeared to somehow be running at a lower fps than the rest of the game (not lag) just extremely choppy and frame skipping. I assumed this was because my the game for some reason in full screen locks to a client refresh rate of 30, but even upon running it in windowed mode at an a refresh rate of 60 the game still looked choppy.

I'm unsure if it's being caused by a compatibility issue with my monitor or graphics card but the game refuses to allow a 60 refresh rate in full screen (still 60 fps however). I use a GTX 1060 Windforce and Generic PnP monitor (64hz) and have encountered similar issues with other games in the past.

Also it's worth noting the game will somehow completely refuse to run in full screen and at a refresh rate of 60. Despite manually editing the settings in the client.ini it will automatically launch the game in windowed mode with a low resolution if I even attempt to launch at a 60 refresh rate.

Any help is appreciated.

The refresh rate of the server doesn't have anything to do with your client monitor refresh rate.

It's the frequency how often the server syncs up with the client. I think what can happen on said high reefresh rate is that the server and client are syncing with such a high frequency, that either of them can't fully handle it, and goes a tad out of snyc, which then pushes the new update from the server over the client, to pus the current state of the server. This in turn looks like a choppy animation because it doesn't fully match up with the previous state on the monitor.

In general a refresh rate of 30 works fine on my server for me and some other players, just the ones with weak PCs, or slow internet run into the same issues.

7 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

The refresh rate of the server doesn't have anything to do with your client monitor refresh rate.

It's the frequency how often the server syncs up with the client. I think what can happen on said high reefresh rate is that the server and client are syncing with such a high frequency, that either of them can't fully handle it, and goes a tad out of snyc, which then pushes the new update from the server over the client, to pus the current state of the server. This in turn looks like a choppy animation because it doesn't fully match up with the previous state on the monitor.

In general a refresh rate of 30 works fine on my server for me and some other players, just the ones with weak PCs, or slow internet run into the same issues.

That would definitely explain why only some of the animations are choppy, specifically running, yet some aren't, like tree chopping. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm assuming there's not really any way to fix this, considering neither the host or my PC should have any trouble with syncing (good internet, good builds, etc.)

14 hours ago, Mr.Mulk said:

I'm assuming there's not really any way to fix this, considering neither the host or my PC should have any trouble with syncing (good internet, good builds, etc.)

Lowering the server refresh rate back to 30 should do the trick. From my xp there is a super slight difference between those, but if 60 doesn't work properly, 30 is still more than enough to play.

Archived