How would you feel about telemetry?

Ever find the need to send a, automation signal 50, or 100, tiles away, or through an area that isn't reachable due to an existing build?  Or need a quick solution to enable a system? Than I've got an idea for you.

Obviously these would be end game, require refined metals, require power, an additional level of research, and in keeping with everything else in the automation menu, have a negative decor. 

I'm thinking of nothing more than like a phoenix radio. Where an input signal is broadcast by a transmitter, and picked up by a receiver. If you don't know radios that transmit 1W ERP can go plenty far (miles), but to keep things interesting let's just say they have a 100 tiles radius.

Since this is making the game easier we would need to handicap it. Give everyone maybe eight channels. This way a transmitter could enable several different buildings within it's radius, but you couldn't have more than eight different transmitters operating independently, unless you built them out of range of each other.

So you are just suggesting wireless automation. 2 or more wireless devices would be set to the same frequency an if one goes active the other recieve the signal and go active as well. Other than wireless communtication working underground being hard to do in real life i think it`s a great idea.

I`d say just make the thing a 1x2 building that requires power and refined metal and it`s enough for people to only use it when needed.

The thing could also be used for communtication with the rockets. One set to the rocket frequency would go active when the rocket is ready to land.

1W ERP can go through how many meters of solid rock again?

Material Attenuation @ 900 MHz
Glass 0.25” (6mm) 0.8 dB
Glass 0.5” (13mm) 2 dB
Lumber 3” (76mm) 2.8 dB
Brick 3.5” (89mm) 3.5 dB
Brick 7” (178mm) 5 dB
Brick 10.5” (267mm) 7 dB
Concrete 4” (102mm) 12 dB
Masonry Block 8” (203mm) 12 dB
Brick faced concrete 7.5 “ (192mm) 14dB
Masonry Block 16” (406mm) 17dB
Concrete 8” (203mm) 23dB
Reinforced Concrete 3.5” (203mm) 27dB
Masonry Block 24” (610mm) 28dB
Concrete 12” (305mm) 35dB

So you want to go through 100 blocks (50m?) of solid underground rock? You'd probably melt your face near transmitters.

8 hours ago, cpy said:

1W ERP can go through how many meters of solid rock again?

Material Attenuation @ 900 MHz
Glass 0.25” (6mm) 0.8 dB
Glass 0.5” (13mm) 2 dB
Lumber 3” (76mm) 2.8 dB
Brick 3.5” (89mm) 3.5 dB
Brick 7” (178mm) 5 dB
Brick 10.5” (267mm) 7 dB
Concrete 4” (102mm) 12 dB
Masonry Block 8” (203mm) 12 dB
Brick faced concrete 7.5 “ (192mm) 14dB
Masonry Block 16” (406mm) 17dB
Concrete 8” (203mm) 23dB
Reinforced Concrete 3.5” (203mm) 27dB
Masonry Block 24” (610mm) 28dB
Concrete 12” (305mm) 35dB

So you want to go through 100 blocks (50m?) of solid underground rock? You'd probably melt your face near transmitters.

Well only like three of those materials actually apply. And I never said they had to be solid either. But that's cool. They could go through that the same way 240w (1/3hp) can move 10kg/s of water 400m straight up.

Or. We can use something in the ELF band. I mean...not like there is a FCC to regulate them.

Doing some rough math on that pump calc it would take over 8,000hp to actually move that much water without accounting for gravity and friction loss.

Archived