Food, Fuel, Farms.. Starting options.

HarperDS

So, I recently made it to 120 days in shipwrecked. I could have kept going but i was so unorganized from the start it started to become hard to focus on anything. My questions are..

We have the pig farm in DS/DST.. for a source of food. Going around knocking pig houses and moving them to base. Is there the same option with Wilbores?

Simply, im wondering some early goals to have a good source of food, fuel, and other things necessary. I was wondering if rushing to get a flingo and start a tree farm early is also a good idea? Or maybe a monkey farm?

I'm starting over today and wanted to hear some early ideas for a good source of basic items so that other things can have more of my focus. Like putting down flooring, etc.

wildbores can be farmed the same way as pigs, usually by turning them into were pigs, cause its easier and then you get 100% meat and pig skin.

but there aint as many houses as in RoG/dst, so you might have to farm them early and often to get more houses.

I like having fish farms, just go away from them whenever there's a hound attack, as the hounds will empty them. but if you don't let the doggies eat your fish, its basically free food. fishermerms is a really good food source, but they can't be moved, so this is only if you base near them.

i have no experience with monkey farms.

and why make a flingomatic? there's no wildfires in shipwrecked, and no fire hounds.

mangroves is a good source of early grass and twigs, and dont wither during summer.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:00 AM, metallichydra said:

wildbores can be farmed the same way as pigs, usually by turning them into were pigs, cause its easier and then you get 100% meat and pig skin.

but there aint as many houses as in RoG/dst, so you might have to farm them early and often to get more houses.

I like having fish farms, just go away from them whenever there's a hound attack, as the hounds will empty them. but if you don't let the doggies eat your fish, its basically free food. fishermerms is a really good food source, but they can't be moved, so this is only if you base near them.

i have no experience with monkey farms.

and why make a flingomatic? there's no wildfires in shipwrecked, and no fire hounds.

mangroves is a good source of early grass and twigs, and dont wither during summer.

Flingo for a tree farm with the stacked pinecones and a boat cannon/coconade. I'm on day 34 now. Went with wicker for the Day 1 walking cane strat. Got that. Now, I have an island thats just jungle next to two islands with mangroves and beach. I have a small base with just some chests, a lightning rod, 1 crock pot, an ice box, and a chimanea. Monsoon season is coming. I'm not sure how im gonna deal with the flooding since i dont really have a ''base'' yet.. just a spot with the basics for hoarding everything. I've already got my dumbrella and all. I'm not sure if i should put down flooring in my small nomadic type base or just get one of those brain of thought hats for prototyping and spend monsoon season either exploring or setting up a volcano base. That is what im struggling with most.

Simply, I just have an island near some other islands with mangroves, beach etc. My little spot has 10 berry bushes, alch engine, chimnea, 5 chests, and a crockpot/ice box. I'm on day 34 and i saved inside the volcano where i was gathering about 30 coffee plants and getting ready for some elephant cacti stuff. I was thinking maybe just dropping 10 coffee plants on my little nomadic base and using books to farm them for enough coffee to explore the rest of the map during monsoon season. And having a volcano base set up before dry season. Thinking of moving a few spider dens on the volcano and farming monster meat to give to the bird and just use eggs and the plentiful bone shards for appeaseal to the altar.

16 hours ago, HarperDS said:

or just get one of those brain of thought hats for prototyping

no ... you can't prototype stuff with the brain hat.

but, as you're wicker, you can mass produce brain hats with applied horticulture

Monsoon season is coming. I'm not sure how im gonna deal with the flooding since i dont really have a ''base'' yet.. just a spot with the basics for hoarding everything. I've already got my dumbrella and all. I'm not sure if i should put down flooring in my small nomadic type base

depends on your islands, if its small, you could make flooring and sandbags to save your base from flooding.

Went with wicker for the Day 1 walking cane strat.

I've got it at day 2 with Maxwell, and day 4 as wx78, so wicker havent got THAT big of an advantage, all you need is a piece of gold, and you can slay the quacken as any character

Monsoon season is coming. I'm not sure how im gonna deal with the flooding

another way of dealing with flooding could be making a sea-base

just make a buoyant chimney or a bouy, some chests, a sea lab if you want to prototype stuff.

be sure to make a quicken drill, make a tar pit, then place a tar extractor near it: so much tar

make a ship yard at your base: now you can repair your boat at base, at (almost) no cost

hope you can use this :)

On 8.01.2019 at 8:00 AM, metallichydra said:

fishermerms is a really good food source, but they can't be moved, so this is only if you base near them.

You can telelocate fishermerms. As long as your base island has tidal pond(s), you're set. The downside is that you need to use flood-proof flooring which prevents mosquitoes (and lureplants) from spawning and bothering your fishermerms. It's a downside because it looks dumb, having pond area with wooden flooring. You also need to cover surrounding areas with flooring so there will be no stray mosquitoes either (they fly over walls iirc).

Just mark spots on map that have fishermerm huts so if some of your buddies die you can telelocate them again after they respawn.

On 11.01.2019 at 8:19 AM, metallichydra said:

another way of dealing with flooding could be making a sea-base

Just remember that there's no sea lighting rod. This forces you to either build close to land or risk having everything burned down.

Archived