Chlorine gas behavior in ONI

I was wondering about the real world accuracy of chlorine gas in Oxygen Not Included. It's known that gasses with a larger molar mass would fall beneath gasses with a smaller molar mass; this is why hydrogen rises above oxygen in the game. This being known; I am puzzled why chlorine gas rises above carbon dioxide in the game. Carbon Dioxide consists of 1 mole Carbon and 2 moles oxygen racking in a molar mass of ~44 g/mol. Chlorine gas has a molar mass of ~70 g/mol, which means it should sink beneath the carbon dioxide in a real world scenario. I've noticed that chlorine gas is denoted by just Cl(and hydrogen as H) in game. It is to be noted that Chlorine gas(and hydrogen gas) cannot occur naturally like this as both gases are Diatomic which means they can only exist as pairs in a molecule, which means chlorine gas should have a molar mass twice ~35 g/mol or 70 g/mol due to there being two atoms of chlorine in one mole of chlorine gas(Cl2 and H2).

It's been a while since my last chemistry lesson, but I think the density (mass/volume) is the determining factor, not the mass itself.

Think of oil and water: While water is just one oxygen and 2 hydrogen atoms, oil is a rather complex molecule with several carbon, oxygen, hydrogen atoms (+ some other stuff at times). Still, the oil will float.

Archived