About This File
Recipe Rebalancer / Don't Starve Together
Ported here from Steam Workshop for people who don't own that version.
Rebalances Crock Pot Food values to more accurately reflect the difficulty in preparing them.
After playing Don't Starve Together for a while, one thing that started to bug me was that despite the title, starvation is almost never a serious threat in this game. The issue mainly stems from three overpowered recipes: Meatballs, Fishsticks, and Bacon and Eggs, all of which are made with easily available ingredients, recover vastly more than the sum of their component parts, and render pretty much all other recipes unnecessary. This mod overhauls the food values of all recipes so that these recipes are no longer overpowered, and as an added bonus it slightly tweaks the values of the other recipes so that every recipe has some kind of use. Of course, since this mod tones down some overpowered items, playing with this mod makes the game quite a bit harder.
A full list of the changed food values can be found in the mod's root directory in the file called "New Food Table.txt", but here's some of the highlights.
- Meatballs now only recover 37.5 hunger, the same as most other cooked foods, which is a little over half what it used to be. This is by far the most significant change as it means that staying well fed in the early game now takes a lot more effort. This also means that Kabobs are a viable alternative now, as they recover the same amount and can use a twig as filler, though they cook slower. Note that Kabobs no longer provide a heat bonus (as they did in base RoG), or they would be too strong. Meatballs do however have a unique advantage of allowing you to use up to 2 Ice as filler, whereas most other recipes don't allow Ice unless they specifically call for it.
- Fishsticks now only recovers 20 health. It's still good, but no longer outclasses all other healing recipes. Note that Fish Tacos have been buffed, and now recover more hunger than Fishsticks, so that option may be preferable if the healing from fishsticks is not needed.
- Bacon and Eggs now heals only 3 hp. It's still very filling, but if you want healing you'll need to make Pierogis now, which heal a lot but aren't nearly as filling. They make quite a good combo when used together, though.
- All "dessert" type foods now recover more sanity than they used to. Everything that involves honey is considered a dessert, as are the Butter Muffin and Fruit Medley.
- Fruit Medley is one of the most worthless recipes in the base game, it will almost always recover vastly less than the sum of its components. It now recovers 40 health instead of 20 and also recovers 15 sanity. This is a great use for those durians since Fruit Medley allows twigs.
- Honey Nuggets were another bad recipe that you only ever made by accident. Now they've been slightly buffed in that they can accept 1 twig as filler, basically making them a slightly better Kabobs if you have honey available but not enough meat for Honey Ham.
- Spicy Chili is quite different here than in the base game. It's a great recipe for both hp and hunger and is cheap to make, but it's so insanely hot that your sanity takes a hit. It also now only requires 1.0 veggies (so 2 mushrooms will suffice), but can't accept twigs as filler.
- Trail Mix is kind of a mediocre food item, but it now has the unique advantage of staying fresh for an extremely long time.
- In case you were thinking that you'd just forego the crock pot altogether and survive off foraging, berries, carrots, catcus flesh, and seeds now also recover less hunger than they used to. Berries in particular are now nearly worthless apart from as filler ingredients. You're going to want to get that crock pot up and running ASAP.
- Ditto for hunting. Koalefants and Beefalo now drop less meat than before, largely to prevent Meaty Stew from dominating all other recipes. Incidentally, Meaty Stew now only heals 100 hunger instead of 150, but it's still the heartiest recipe (except for the super-rare Waffles and Mandrake Soup).
For the truly brave / masochistic, there's now a configuration option that lowers all hunger values by one tier, so 50 becomes 37.5, 37.5 becomes 25, and so on. Not for the faint of stomach.