How to change a already existing mod?

Hello,

So there are a few mods which i find very interesting, but i would like to improve and make some modifications on them, like

On the Magic store mod by a Chasil, i want to change the items price and add some more things to buy.

Also, how can i make a mod that changes the loot for mobs? Example make mobs drop gold nuggets?

I want to make a map with RPG elements.

Thanks.

The first step i would suggest is to ask the modder. Even if it's for personal use, it's better to ask the original creator of the mod if you could do your own version, for personal use, and see if he/she is ok.

Adding loot to mob will usually require to use something similar to this :

if not GLOBAL.TheNet:GetIsServer() then
    return
end

local function LeifPostInit( inst )

if inst.components.lootdropper then
        inst.components.lootdropper:AddChanceLoot("yourprefab", .5)
    end

return inst
end

AddPrefabPostInit( "leif", LeifPostInit) 

with the chance you want ( .5 will happen half the time in my example, you could change it)

It could work a little differently for some mobs, depending of the way they work.

I mean I don't know, if it's strictly for personal use is there really sense in asking the creator?

If you intend to share it with friends only then it's kinda sketchy, but if he said no on that scenario, would anyone actually respect his wishes?

What's the point in asking if you're gonna do it anyway?

Edited by spideswine

If you gonna do it anyway, sure, don't ask, but whatever i could say will not matter in this case anyway, so...

Yes, there is sense of asking the creator, because :

- It's a way to show respect to someone's else work.

- It's not because it's for personal use that you don't have to ask.

- It could help the creator of the mod to know what people think about the balance of the mod.

- For personal use could quickly become "for me and my friends" then "i put it on steam as a public mod to use it on a dedicated server", so asking is better.

Someone spent time working on a mod, coding, creating a balance, doing testing, sometimes custom graphisms, anim, quotes, all this stuff.

It's not a bad thing to ask "could i do this with your work, please ?".

I'm not saying someone should do it. I'm not saying i will throw stones to players not doing it. But i think it's better to ask, and yes, there is the risk that someone will say "no", and if someone don't want you to change his/her mod, even for personal use, then maybe it's a choice to respect.

Yes, it's hard when you have an idea to not being able to use someone's else work to do whatever you want. It's a cost to pay to do things right. Everyone could choose to pay it or avoid it.

> - It's a way to show respect to someone's else work.

Besides subscribing, there's also the like and favorite buttons, also you could post on the mod's thread that you like it.

> - It could help the creator of the mod to know what people think about the balance of the mod.

Again, you could do that on the thread of the mod.

> - For personal use could quickly become "for me and my friends" then "i put it on steam as a public mod to use it on a dedicated server", so asking is better.

I mean aside from this making you an a**hole, this is a classic slippery slope fallacy, just don't do that.

>Someone spent time working on a mod, coding, creating a balance, doing testing, sometimes custom graphisms, anim, quotes, all this stuff.

>It's not a bad thing to ask "could i do this with your work, please ?".

I mean sure, but if it's for personal use I'm not going to take no for an answer, what's the point in asking then?(I'm sure many others share this approach too)

> and if someone don't want you to change his/her mod, even for personal use, then maybe it's a choice to respect.

This is actually one of the reasons I would actually suggest not asking due to the properties of personal use, if the author has a very specific vision for his mod that he wants people to play in, it won't do him any harm if someone does so without anyone at all knowing, if you're asking him first it might bother him though.

> Yes, it's hard when you have an idea to not being able to use someone's else work to do whatever you want. It's a cost to pay to do things right. Everyone could choose to pay it or avoid it.

I mean I don't know about that, personal use is so detached from everything that it just ends up as victimless crime.

...it's sort of an ethical debate, but it sorta does belong in here, and I do think it's worth making.

...I'm also derailing the thread, so maybe not.

Edited by spideswine

Except the anim, everything will be in the mod folder so you have access to all the scripts used by the mod. It's there and it's free for you to use and modify.

Be aware though that in this case you should make a private copy of the folder and rename it into something else. Because if the mod gets updated and you modified the original folder the steam workshop downloaded on your machine, then all your changes will be overwritten by the new version and your modifications lost.

Edited by ZupaleX