about the steam

0C0B801446A776AD0DBB774B7E87D8F35F9A6785

this is my steam chamber.  i try to find out how to use steam with efficiency.  and this task can be separated to two problems

1.heat dirty water to 120

2.cool down to <100

1. for the first part, my solution is the following:

a.find something digable which is hot

b.relocate all same resource to a isolated chamber, then lock them up

c.make the boxes in steam chamber with high priority, and select the hot material you wish to boiling water (only tick the material wish to use)

d.start digging, dupes will automatically transfer the hot material to steam chamber, after your collection,just lock the door of this chamber

e.unselect and empty to boxes, hot staff will be remove from boxes, and contact with water directly 

f.steam out

2. for the cool down

i tried 3 method to cool the steam down below 100C. but none of them works with high efficiency.

a. i tried to build really huge cooling tower, which let the steam cooling down. it works perfect with 1 round, but after i retry with second round, the surround bricks are hot already, so the steam stay in my cooling tower.

b. i tried to build as you see on this screenshot, i use fans to cool the steam. which i found there was a huge steam losses when it pass through the thermo fans, the maxmium of gas pipe was 10kg steam per title, but the maxmium output of the fan is 1kg steam per title. great cost and low efficiency.

c. i also found a way to cooldown steam with my cooling tower method, build some boxes in the steam area, and let dupes bring in cool staff, using same  method, let those material lay on ground. the steam will cooldown quickly. but it brings A LOT transfer material work.

d.i am considering use more thermofans to cooldown contaminated oxygen in to liquid state, and transfer them into my cooling tower, but it requires really huge power. i haven't tried yet. so, does anyone has any point about how to cooling steam down? i wish to find something requires less laborforces and less pwer consumption.

So I don't know a whole lot about the game at this point, but maybe building your cooling tower in an abyssalite chamber? I know that ab doesn't conduct heat, but it also doesn't absorb heat? You wouldn't have to worry about your tiles getting hot and keeping your steam hot? Like I said though I'm not sure if I have the mechanics down for that yet.

2 hours ago, Vahlerie said:

So I don't know a whole lot about the game at this point, but maybe building your cooling tower in an abyssalite chamber? I know that ab doesn't conduct heat, but it also doesn't absorb heat? You wouldn't have to worry about your tiles getting hot and keeping your steam hot? Like I said though I'm not sure if I have the mechanics down for that yet.

abyssalite has 0 thermo conductivity, means thermo isolated. so it is perfect if you wish to prevent heat get in or get out. 

Maybe try dumping the steam into a huge chamber with a bunch of sandstone tiles. Sandstone can only be mined in the starting area and should be the coldest material available, at 20-25C and plenty cold enough to turn steam into water. You'd be going for maximum surface area. Then, simply pump all the resulting water out of the bottom of the chamber.

do the materials absorb the steam heat so u have to replace them after a while?

but i dont know... even if... that doesnt seem like a solid solution or a valid game mechanic... there is no simple method to "carry" stuff from A to B, especially if u want to make sure just to carry stuff with a certain temp...

another thing is abyssalite..

i planed to cool down everything with abyssalite but are u guys cant sweep that material as well? it has no slot in the storage boxe as well.. seems very strange...i mean i can sweep rocks which are 300°C why not -270°C? 

besides that abyssalite has no effect on my steam whatsoever.. so whats the valid solution for cooling down steam? do the developers want us to cool down steam at all?

Abyssalite has no heat conductivity. That's why it says it's 0K. In principle it is a solid matter with the same properties as a vacuum.

For a sample passive distiller design that works reasonably well look in my morbid O2 generator thread.

26 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Abyssalite has no heat conductivity. That's why it says it's 0K. In principle it is a solid matter with the same properties as a vacuum.

For a sample passive distiller design that works reasonably well look in my morbid O2 generator thread.

yeah i just saw ur article but i dont think this is an enjoyable aspect of the game :\

once u said some kind of like "i dont want to use stuff which isnt reuseable or not sustainable". thats okay for u and if u just want to trick the game or the developers thats fine for u.

but its like if u say: "i dont play ONI at all, so i never run into sustainability problems" :D
so for me its not fine just to ignore the half of the game just because the developers forgot about smart people like u

it sounds a bit bitchy i know.. but thats what i think about all that "how to get sustainability" discussion.

i dont mean it to offend sb.. i just want a good game, just like (i think) everybody here in this forum.

LOL, I've run loads of "clean" or "wasteful" set ups before I invented the morb generator build. You see, the reason I do this is to test the perhaps unforeseen exploits in the game and the long term effect of those. It is essentially to make the final game better that I do this.

But you sort of ignored that I was just pointing you toward my build for the sample passive distiller design in the most recent update since you asked for advice on how to make a distiller.

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

LOL, I've run loads of "clean" or "wasteful" set ups before I invented the morb generator build. You see, the reason I do this is to test the perhaps unforeseen exploits in the game and the long term effect of those. It is essentially to make the final game better that I do this.

But you sort of ignored that I was just pointing you toward my build for the sample passive distiller design in the most recent update since you asked for advice on how to make a distiller.

i'm sorry dude! i didnt want to offend u! i'm just dissatisfied with the current temerature issues which are in the game not with ur morb solution, which is brilliant btw! 

but for me its just like dont play that game at all :\

Just throwing out my two cents, I tried making a steam chamber by dripping contaminated water onto a room of batteries but gave up on it after about 5 cycles of it not working and then just walled in the batteries. At the time the contaminated water was not even displaying in the room not sure why. After about 10 - 20 cycles it seems that the contaminated water started showing up and noticed that it was producing steam so I reopened the chamber and found that the steam has started to condense back into water and drip back into the chamber fortunately I put only gas permeable tiles as the top layer in the battery room. I am going to redesign this to see if it will consistently condense the steam back to water since the batteries can cool down when not in use.20170306205558_1.jpg

20170306205215_1.jpg

Archived