Recommendations for a server rental company with servers in Asia (preferably Hong Kong)

Do any of you know of a server rental company that offers DST rental in Asia (preferably Hong Kong). I'm looking to rent an overworld + caves server. The only server company that offers Hong Kong as a location that I've found is Multiplay and they don't offer Caves nor mod support.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If you need a fully managed DST server rental services in HK, just go to here and post a topic to figure out if there is any companies provide this service. 

I would recommend you to buy a vps like DO or other vps providers and follow the server setup guide to make your own server. And I think it's really handy to customize your server with the steam guides below.

Here is the server setup guide based on windows server 2008 R2 x64 - Click here!

Here is the server setup guide based on Debian 8 x64 - Click here!

These two guides are created by ToNiO and his friends.

Hi @Iking

i can also recommand rent VPS or dedicated server

because on VPS or on dedicated server, you will have all the access and you can do what you want on your server

and you going have better performance and better ping (fiber optic and better CPU and RAM)

as said my friend @raphael008

you can follow my guide for setup your dedicated server, if you are stuck don't hesitate to tell me :)

other example company for rent VPS or dedicated server in china:

http://www.sinohosting.net/servers.php

Linux or Windows Server depend of the company

this is just example company but im sure you can find other

You gotta look for them but vps is really cheap and i can say performance is pretty good (tested it about 6-7 months.). It is actually really easy to setup your server with this "how to setup" tutorials of ToNiO.

While looking for a server if you want caves try to get a vps with 3GB RAM and dual core CPU. These are the minimum requirements if you want to build up your server on a linux machine. (Ram may be lower i dont really remember but dont risk it and go with these specs. Especially if you want overworld and caves it has to have dual core). Depending on your CPU you may be able to host people ranging from 10 to 20

Thanks @raphael008 @ToNiO55 @Gingerbread for the suggestions! I was originally looking for the usual managed pre-setup game servers cuz their costs are friendlier to my needs since only around 4 of us would be playing. I was originally expecting costs to be around 20USD total.

I wasn't familiar with VPS as an option, I only thought there were managed servers then fully dedicated servers. I will definitely look into VPS in my part of the world especially since it seems like the only viable option. Cheapest one I've found on first look is around 40usd per month.

In terms of OS for the VPS, is there a better/superior option? Or is there one I should avoid like is Windows server not as good as linux, etc?

Thanks again!

On 2016-09-17 at 5:07 PM, TheGreatMav said:

@Gingerbread I thought DST did not take advantage of multithreading (multiple core CPUs)?

yeah no multithreading in dst. Thatswhy no matter how many millions of core you have, every world always works in a single core of itself on your cpu and that is the bottleneck of the servers. The only thing matters is your cpu's clockspeed. if its really good (such as around 4 GHz) and dual core cpu (if you wanna run both caves and overworld, single core if you only wanna run a server with overworld), you will be able to get 25-30 people in your server (with a decent ram). This clockspeed may not be really good in VPSs despite it says 3.2 GHz cpu and such. The brand of the cpu?, vps or real dedicated server?, clockspeed? These are the criteria that affects your server and limits your total number of players.

my dual core 3.6 GHz dedic server was able to get 20 players. when the total number of people was 20, server power was starting to turn into yellow cuz everybody sits on the surface and that single core allocated to overworld gets used 90% or thereabouts. thats where all bottleneck starts. No matter how many core you got, even if you overshoot the limits of that single core which is allocated to lets say overworld server, other cores won't be helpful for the server and people start to complain. people start to complain like "It lags, its laggy man, rubberbanding dude. damn dude this server sucks and such :p"..

On 2016-09-17 at 11:41 PM, Iking said:

Thanks @raphael008 @ToNiO55 @Gingerbread for the suggestions! I was originally looking for the usual managed pre-setup game servers cuz their costs are friendlier to my needs since only around 4 of us would be playing. I was originally expecting costs to be around 20USD total.

I wasn't familiar with VPS as an option, I only thought there were managed servers then fully dedicated servers. I will definitely look into VPS in my part of the world especially since it seems like the only viable option. Cheapest one I've found on first look is around 40usd per month.

In terms of OS for the VPS, is there a better/superior option? Or is there one I should avoid like is Windows server not as good as linux, etc?

Thanks again!

If its only for 4 people, get 2 of ovh's cheapest server (VPS SSD 1) if you are in canada or USA, these are the specs of one of them.

• OpenStack KVM
  • 1 vCore
  • 2.4 GHz
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 10 GB SSD
    Local RAID 10

connect 2 vps to each other. let one of them to run overworld and other to run caves. Total cost will be 9-10 bucks. I would suggest you to go with linux. never used windows server edition so i don't know the performance of that. Tonio's how to setup dedic server tutorials will help it and you can easily setup them in no time.

@Iking

most VPS are under linux, I have never seen VPS on windows server, you must know that windows server is more expensive than a Linux server because you have to pay the license Windows so the price can mounted very quickly
the windows servers are available on dedicated servers

so i recommand server linux for the price and also performance

if you have other questions don't hesitate lking :)

Archived