[Gameplay] - Death

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: Death

Issue Description: When all players die in the game, the server basically becomes useless without the help of another person to revive the players.

Basically the server just stays on even though all the players have died and do not mention anything about failure to not starve etc.

Possible improvements would be that the players on a personal server would have the map deleted when all players have died eg. server has 2 player slots and both of the players die and is in their ghost form, the server would show the death screen and inform the player that they have died.

Steps to Reproduce: Die with two or more players (self hosted server)

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: Death

Issue Description: When all players die in the game, the server basically becomes useless without the help of another person to revive the players.

Basically the server just stays on even though all the players have died and do not mention anything about failure to not starve etc.

Possible improvements would be that the players on a personal server would have the map deleted when all players have died eg. server has 2 player slots and both of the players die and is in their ghost form, the server would show the death screen and inform the player that they have died.

Steps to Reproduce: Die with two or more players (self hosted server)

Find a touch stone that's what I did

I've seen all the twitch feeds recently, and the latest one shows that is a person dies, they can bring them back to life for 40 health and 5 grass, but the person that has been revived has less health. I think that IF a person wants to revive someone, everyone gets that 1/3 minus max health WHEN the telltale heart. This solves:
1. Griefing

2. Stocking up on telltale hearts

3. How everyone can lose at once and not just one person

4. Makes you more scared of death

5. and other mentionable products I am not witty to think of.

If there is a problem with this, it would be cool to point it out so I can work a way around it.

I've seen all the twitch feeds recently, and the latest one shows that is a person dies, they can bring them back to life for 40 health and 5 grass, but the person that has been revived has less health. I think that IF a person wants to revive someone, everyone gets that 1/3 minus max health WHEN the telltale heart. This solves:

1. Griefing

2. Stocking up on telltale hearts

3. How everyone can lose at once and not just one person

4. Makes you more scared of death

5. and other mentionable products I am not witty to think of.

If there is a problem with this, it would be cool to point it out so I can work a way around it.

1) This actually makes killing every player on the server easy to do , making griefing much worse, not much better, and as such is a terrible suggestion.

Two trolls join server. One revives the other 3 times. Other two players are now dead and have to restart.

2) Stocking up is pointless. You need a living player to revive a ghost, 5 grass is dirt cheap.

3) How is this a pro at all? One person shouldn't drag down the whole server if they suck.

They'll be adding items to restore permanantly lost max health.

4) Death is already harsh enough. Permanant health penalties cripple you after 2 deaths.

5) That group of suggestions must include a good reason to use your suggestion, if it exists.

1) This actually makes killing every player on the server easy to do , making griefing much worse, not much better, and as such is a terrible suggestion.

Two trolls join server. One revives the other 3 times. Other two players are now dead and have to restart.

2) Stocking up is pointless. You need a living player to revive a ghost, 5 grass is dirt cheap.

3) How is this a pro at all? One person shouldn't drag down the whole server if they suck.

They'll be adding items to restore permanantly lost max health.

4) Death is already harsh enough. Permanant health penalties cripple you after 2 deaths.

5) That group of suggestions must include a good reason to use your suggestion, if it exists.

1. I don't see how unless you have two people on the team how are griefing the server to shut it down, but a that point, more than 50% of players are griefing...

2. It's not pointless, when you have lots of high health items, you could stock up to ave the Health Penalty...

3. In my mind, it would make you want to care for everyone. If not, no ones cares if another person dies, you'd be like "Oh, haha, you have a penalty.. Besides, how does everyone lose from the stupid mistakes most people die from? That's one element of Don't Starve... Also, that one player who sucks, he is part of the team, and as a whole, the team will be slightly less deficient, meaning that then team may not work as well. Finally, if they add health restoring items, even if they are hard to craft, I would not fear death. I would be like: "Oh, I may die, but who cares! I can just revive myself later!"

4. The game wouldn't end, it makes the game less, hard. Like I said, no one else would care if you died.

5. Those? ^

1. I don't see how unless you have two people on the team how are griefing the server to shut it down, but a that point, more than 50% of players are griefing...

2. It's not pointless, when you have lots of high health items, you could stock up to ave the Health Penalty...

3. In my mind, it would make you want to care for everyone. If not, no ones cares if another person dies, you'd be like "Oh, haha, you have a penalty.. Besides, how does everyone lose from the stupid mistakes most people die from? That's one element of Don't Starve... Also, that one player who sucks, he is part of the team, and as a whole, the team will be slightly less deficient, meaning that then team may not work as well. Finally, if they add health restoring items, even if they are hard to craft, I would not fear death. I would be like: "Oh, I may die, but who cares! I can just revive myself later!"

4. The game wouldn't end, it makes the game less, hard. Like I said, no one else would care if you died.

5. Those? ^

1) Yes, and that means any server with 3 or less players is vulnerable to a server wipe.

2) Clearly you haven't played the beta. The 30 health you lose craftinf a telltale heart is trivial compared to the max health lost on revival. Pre-built telltale hearts have no use.

3) Not only do I not want a bad player revived if I lose max health, I don't want any other players reviving each other either under your system.

No one needs another person to survive in don't starve. Everyone is capable of fending for themselves.

And if I ever want to wipe the server, I can with self-rezzing items. It won't be as easy, but it's certainly possible.

Your suggestion adds nothing to the game. At least, nothing good.

I agree something needs to be done in one fashion or another. I was on a server yesterday where everyone died after a crash and upon relogging there were a few walruses in the center of the camp (they were set to "more"). It was winter and someone actually joined who would be our only savior if he could make it to camp, but a walrus took them out (setting them to "more" makes them spawn EVERYWHERE lol). So we were all ghosts wandering around wondering what to do with the server. The host eventually spawned some amulets but was still unsure whether to just delete that game and start over because technically we had failed.

Right now there's no real "you are dead and this world is gone" moment which goes contrary to what Don't Starve is all about IMO. The first time I died in Don't Starve I was unsure if I would just respawn at some save point, and nope you start all over! That's part of the game, and it should be implemented into DST (even if it's toggleable). I know they removed permanent death in DST in the alpha stages because being stuck as a ghost while your friend survives for the next 100 days is lame ((well it's just really hard to actually permanently die right now), but if everyone in the server is a ghost maybe that should be the "you're done" moment. They could even add in checks, "If there's no meat effigies, no touchstones, and no amulets on the server and everyone is a ghost then this world is "Game Over", though I can already foresee this being buggy.

Right now my morgue is empty in DST and that just isn't right!

I agree something needs to be done in one fashion or another. I was on a server yesterday where everyone died after a crash and upon relogging there were a few walruses in the center of the camp (they were set to "more"). It was winter and someone actually joined who would be our only savior if he could make it to camp, but a walrus took them out (setting them to "more" makes them spawn EVERYWHERE lol). So we were all ghosts wandering around wondering what to do with the server. The host eventually spawned some amulets but was still unsure whether to just delete that game and start over because technically we had failed.

Right now there's no real "you are dead and this world is gone" moment which goes contrary to what Don't Starve is all about IMO. The first time I died in Don't Starve I was unsure if I would just respawn at some save point, and nope you start all over! That's part of the game, and it should be implemented into DST (even if it's toggleable). I know they removed permanent death in DST in the alpha stages because being stuck as a ghost while your friend survives for the next 100 days is lame ((well it's just really hard to actually permanently die right now), but if everyone in the server is a ghost maybe that should be the "you're done" moment. They could even add in checks, "If there's no meat effigies, no touchstones, and no amulets on the server and everyone is a ghost then this world is "Game Over", though I can already foresee this being buggy.

Right now my morgue is empty in DST and that just isn't right!

Exactly my point. Death just isn't pernament enough...

1) Yes, and that means any server with 3 or less players is vulnerable to a server wipe.

2) Clearly you haven't played the beta. The 30 health you lose craftinf a telltale heart is trivial compared to the max health lost on revival. Pre-built telltale hearts have no use.

3) Not only do I not want a bad player revived if I lose max health, I don't want any other players reviving each other either under your system.

No one needs another person to survive in don't starve. Everyone is capable of fending for themselves.

And if I ever want to wipe the server, I can with self-rezzing items. It won't be as easy, but it's certainly possible.

Your suggestion adds nothing to the game. At least, nothing good.

1. Well, this may slow this problem down, not prevent.

2. Obviously not a major problem if solved.

3. It's called Don't Starve TOGETHER...

Archived