Override forest_map.lua ? (increase map size)

Hello,

I'd like to override forest_map.lua to increase map size.

So, I have put an other forest_map.lua in my mod folder. But it doesn't work, the game still uses the original one. (I have added print statements  in the "Generate" function, in the original game file and mine, and I see only the print from the original file)

Looking at some previous topics about this I think this file can not be overwritten like that, but it still seems possible. For example there is an answer given in this post: 

but I didn't manage to make it work. I have put my forest_map.lua in temp_override/map/ and this line in my worldgenmain.lua, and it still doesn't change anything. But maybe there's something else to do ?

Does anyone knows if it is possible ?

Thanks, but I think this option increases the number of rooms not directly the size of them. The option I'm looking for is the "Huge" number of tiles in forest_map.lua:

sizes = {
                ["tiny"] = 1,
                ["small"] = 350,
                ["medium"] = 400,
                ["default"] = 425, -- default == large, at the moment...
                ["large"] = 425,
                ["huge"] = 450,    -- example: change this to 800
            }

I know this is the good one because I have already tested it and it truly makes the map gigantic. However, I can only change forest_map.lua in the original game file, not through a mod.

Edited by Saiph

1 hour ago, Saiph said:

Thanks, but I think this option increases the number of rooms not directly the size of them. The option I'm looking for is the "Huge" number of tiles in forest_map.lua:

sizes = {
                ["tiny"] = 1,
                ["small"] = 350,
                ["medium"] = 400,
                ["default"] = 425, -- default == large, at the moment...
                ["large"] = 425,
                ["huge"] = 450,    -- example: change this to 800
            }

I know this is the good one because I have already tested it and it truly makes the map gigantic. However, I can only change forest_map.lua in the original game file, not through a mod.

As far as I know, I don't think that a mod would be able to do that. It's a local table, meaning that there generally isn't a way to edit it.

EDIT: Although you could use simplex's method.

Edited by ThemInspectors

Can you please detail how Simplex's method works ? I have tried what he says and the file still doesn't get overwritten.

I have put a temp_override/map/forest_map.lua file in my mod directory and added this exact line at the end of my worldgenmain.lua:

GLOBAL.package.path = ("%stemp_override/?.lua;"):format(MODROOT) .. GLOBAL.package.path

Printing it shows:

GLOBAL.package.path = ../mods/workshop-1073203411/temp_override/?.lua;../mods/workshop-1073203411\scripts\?.lua;scripts\?.lua;scriptlibs\?.lua;scripts/?.lua

It seems to be the correct path yet the size changes I have done don't apply.

I'm trying to override that file too, but it seems the forest_map file is treated in a different way. I overrode both forest_map and storygen using the same way(put in the mod directory), but only the latter one works. Maybe only direct io operations on the original forest_map file will work in the case?