Suggestions for finally making Beefalo taming/domesticating worthwhile

Over many updates, Beefalo taming and dimesticating for riding and attacking things has been improved. Yet still, some key elements of the current game mechanics have been keeping many players from utilising them late game efficiently. Here's a list of things that I think should need to be added in order to have beefalo domestication/taming worth the while and be actually advantageous:

* Jump through wormholes while mounted on a beefalo

* Go into amd out of caves while mounted on a beefalo

* Increase Salt Lick uses by x10, so that beefalo left on a server that's run for a long time without a player coming to visit it every day could still keep domesticated. This can keep a bunch of domesticated beefalo in one place for longer and/or make sure that players don't need to take up an entire biome and fill it with salt licks they can't afford to efficiently make. 150 days keeping a beefalo from losing domestication for one salt lick would be just perfect imho

* Make salt licks repairable via nitre, giving it 25% durability back. I don't think I need to explain why here...

* Let beefalos be named by players who have domesticated them to a certain point, so as to be able to distinguish between beefalos owned by other players even when both look exactly the same

* Have healing items provide x4 health than to players when healing a beefalo, if that's not in already

* Have healing increase obedience or something. You're doing the most important thing to keep it alive via healing items, but it doesn't display its gratitude in any way. Only if you feed it or brush it or whatever.

* Let us feed our beefalo WHILST mounted. It simply complicates things and could get you in worse scenarios due to having to dismount your beefalo mid-battle. It could mean the death of both of you. Whilst beefalo generally being more vulnerable and you needing to expense a bit more healing items than crafting armour could be a great way to go about things (although some form of beefalo armour couldn't hurt (no pun intended) >.>), the whole throwing off during battle due to you not being able to feed it whilst mounted is the epitemy of fail, followed by rage and regret. Perhaps healing could stay as something that needs dismounting, but please, for the love of all that is beegalo, let us feed them whilst mounted. <= might be quite annoying, but would probably make them a bit OP. Rather, perhaps we can feed them quicker and so they generally lose the amount of time they will have us on their back slower before we need to feed them again or something.

* Make beefalo obedience local to each player. A noob or a griefer smacking my domesticated beefalo shouldn't be a kick in the balls for me and have 6 domestication days gone down just because of that. And by local I don't mean that once one player domesticates a beefalo no other player should be able to, I mean that each beefalo would hold data for how obedient they are to each player who has recently taken care of them (salt lock keeping the beefalo's progress of all players ofc), which could be increased or decreased based on how well you take care of it. Although it might be a bit hard sharing a beefalo with others considering that whilst one player keeps up the obedince for them, others' would decrease... Perhaps it could stay in tact for other players while only one player takes care of them? So then you could increase the beefalos obedience to you whilst its obedience of other players would be capped at what it's currently at or something.

* Upon exiting the game whilst mounted on a beefalo, have the beefalo exit with you, if their ibedience to you specifically is very high. Salt licks, no matter how well they could keep it from undomesticating, won't keep them from harm. You must remember that DST is multiplayer and the only way to really pause something is to exit with it. Other players doing crap around your beefalo or lack there of its maintenance will result in it being undomesticated purely because other players were there, minding their own business or being noobish and bothering your beefalo, making things worse without you being there.

* Buff Pudgy type beefalo in some way... All three other types, with the above considered would be pretty awesome. Pudgy though? Only if you want a "house pet".

/\ All of that and you have the (more or less) perfect mechanics implemented for beefalo domestication being worth the while even on public servers. In fact, late game, it would be unwise not to domesticate/tame one late game. It certainly wouldn't, however make it so that you would be able to simply use the beefalo 24/7, making the game a beefalo riding symulator. Whilst half the time you might be riding your beefalo, there are things that you cannot do whilst mounted, like fighting certain mobs or bosses that require a lot of health tanking or especially if you're doing stuff at base.

I hope these suggestions won't be disregarded and beefalo do get the final touches they need in order to be great companions and not a waste of our time.

Archived