Client's Chracters won't be saved

Hi, 

I know run my own Server and set it up like discribed in the wiki. All works fine and me and my friends can play. 

But if someone leaves the server and come on the next time he has to create a new character and all items will be lost. 

Maybe someone can help me? 

Server Details:

System: Ubuntu 64 bit (Virtual Server)

GameMode: endless

Thanks in advance ;) 

Hi,

I spend some more time in finding the error. 

I didn't found it yet but my server log says: 

FMOD Error: An invalid object handle was used.LOADING LUA SUCCESSPlayerDeaths could not load morgueloaded profilebloom_enabled   falseloaded saveindexOnFilesLoaded()OnUpdatePurchaseStateComplete        Load FE        Load FE: doneModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.Reset() returning[200] Account Communication Success (6)[ACCOUNT_ACTION_TOKEN_PURPOSE] Received UserId from TokenPurpose: KU_edTjMq-9Starting Dedicated Server GameNetwork tick rate: U=60(0), D=0Setting up socket descriptorsOnline Server Started on port: 10999Collecting garbage...lua_gc took 0.01 seconds~NetworkLuaProxy()~SimLuaProxy()lua_close took 0.01 secondsReleaseAllReleaseAll FinishedcGame::StartPlayingLOADING LUADoLuaFile scripts/main.luaDoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/main.luascripts/main.lua(169,1) running main.lualoaded modindexModIndex: Beginning normal load sequence for dedicated server.LOADING LUA SUCCESSPlayerDeaths could not load morgueloaded profilebloom_enabled   falseloaded saveindexOnFilesLoaded()OnUpdatePurchaseStateCompleteLoad Slot: ... generating new worldWorldSim::SimThread::SimThread()WorldSim::SimThread::SimThread() completeModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.Reset() returningTHREAD - started 'WorldSim' (2996583232)WorldSim::SimThread::Main()DoLuaFile scripts/worldgen_main.luaDoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/worldgen_main.luaDLC enabled :   false
At load_slot:  it says Generating new world. So if I shutdown my server the output is: 

ConsoleInput: "c_shutdown()"c_shutdown	Serializing user minimap to session/0000000063A017A4/KU_edTjMq-9_/minimapSerializing user session to session/0000000063A017A4/KU_edTjMq-9_/0000000002Serializing world session to session/0000000063A017A4/0000000002Shutdown: shutting up talker	Could not unload undefined prefab 0x4058bc0 (molehat)Shutdown: shutting up talker	HttpClient::ClientThread::Main() completeCollecting garbage...lua_gc took 0.27 seconds~NetworkLuaProxy()~SimLuaProxy()lua_close took 0.29 secondsHttpClient::ClientThread::Main() completeHttpClient::ClientThread::Main() completeHttpClient::ClientThread::Main() completeHttpClient::ClientThread::Main() completeHttpClient::ClientThread::Main() completeShutting down
So for me the server save it's state but if  restart the server it can't load it's save point.

Any suggestions ? 

If you need some more information please let me know.

Ok I tried c_shotdown(true) but this changed nothing. 

When I run my shell-script the Server is rebooting and generating a new map. 

And the character isn't saved as well. It should be saved every moning and when a player left the game. 

But that does not happen. 

Any suggestions ? 

Have exact same problem.

I can play on server and seems to save every day... however, when I disconnect from server (client) and connect back on, it gives me the character selection screen and everything I had (items + map) is lost.

Shows that I already have character in server: http://puu.sh/iLv1S/0465905c00.jpg

When I enter: http://puu.sh/iLv3U/59c141dc13.jpg

Server: http://puu.sh/iLv4N/468315f52f.png

I have tried reinstalling the game from scratch.

Using: https://www.linode.com/docs/applications/game-servers/dont-starve-together-on-ubuntu

Only difference is that I put my server token on the server settings.

Hosted on a VPS, OS is Ubuntu 14.04 x64

Just have access to shell.

Also, unsure if related to this. But if I am to close the server and restart it, it will recreate it and erase everything.

Autosave is enabled. 

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/53255-i-have-to-rediscover-the-map-when-i-join-my-server/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52086-character-selection-prompted-every-time-the-server-is-joined/

Was looking through old posts, found these. Using reiserfs, so guess that's the problem.

Also, looked around, and doesn't seem like switching the file system is recommended.

Gonna try this out: http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Converting-Filesystems-with-Fstransform

Hopefully it works.

Hi, 

I looked up my filesystem and it's 

reiserfs

but I don't want to change the filesystem because a lot other web servers are on this virtual server. 

Maybe there is an other solution? 

Thanks for this hint.

Seems that for now, there's no fix. We'll just have to wait until there's an update that addresses this. (Since reiserfs file systems seemed to have worked prior to some update)

And for those who have a vps, you can't really do much about it. People with dedicated servers, can change their file system, but at a possible loss. 

Nope, doesn't seem to go too well with my VPS (won't work).

Called my provider to see if they could change it for me, but told me that option was only available for people with their dedicated host service.

IDK if the issue has been fixed yet.

this has been arround for some time, have the same problem... the players wont be saved, also when i restart the server (even if i saveed it before) a new world will be generated. 

i read in the other topic that this problem should be solfed but it isnt :(

problem is i am sit on on a vps where i cant change the file system (reiserfs)

so are there any attempts to fix this soon? several friends bought this game just for multiplayer...

It is quite sad to see that the reiserfs issues is still present after so long ( I think I was the first one - definitely one of the first - to report it the day the *magnificent* update was released at the beginning of this year ). That issues was quite a deal breaker for me and I've stopped playing the game altogether because of it ( and not only me )... It's a pity, the game is really nice, but I need it to run on my VPS that happens to, unfortunately, use reiserfs ( and I can't change it ). Maybe one day the issue will crawl up the priority chain... or I'll have a good enough reason to change my VPS and give it another chance.

I haven't tried recently, but I remember trying it back then. No, it did not help back then... the config dir location is fine, otherwise it wouldn't have generated the "default" files either. To my knowledge ( I've exchanged quite a few messages back then with MarkL ) there's no workaround for the issue... this entire issues spawned out of an update in which they've refactored the way they're working with the local file system. Unfortunately, they've either considered that it's not worth the effort to support certain types from that point on, or they were simply unaware of the risks / impact of the change ( lack of developer experience / knowledge and/or insufficient / bad QA ).

Either way, the issue is clearly not of high importance to them... In theory, they've tried fixing it in multiple updates since, but in practice, I've not once seen *ANY* change / improvement. The issue was just as easily reproducible and behaved the exact same way after every update I was told that "it should be fixed now". Eventually, I simply gave up hope and stopped playing the game altogether... It's really unfortunate...

Hello. Does anyone know if the problem still continues?

I've had my vps service for a while, thinking of cancelling it since I was just hoping to use it for this, but didnt end up happening. (Just playing for no reason at this point)

Really sucks :/ because of this bug me and friends have stopped playing dst... wish devs paid more attention to this issue.

Archived