Jungle Biome in through the ages

I think that when through the ages comes out for DST, a jungle biome would be a good feature. The jungle biome would have plenty of grass, twigs, trees, food, reeds, or even mandrakes. However, it would be inhabited by more hostile creatures than other biomes. For instance, the jungle biome could have a special type a jungle tree that is more prone to becoming a tree guard. Another hostility could be spider nest that only spawn spider warriors who follow a special, stronger spider warrior queen. The jungle could also contain poisonous plants that could be used to make poison traps and weapons. However, these could be avoided with a few traps and some pinecones. The main challenge would be a large dangerous nest set piece where one or more giants would stay until their own season occurs elsewhere. It could also have a hostile type of NPC similar to merms, I was thinking the baboons from this concept:

post-236059-0-26789200-1417633186.jpg

But there should also be a purpose behind all this, not just empty content. The jungle biome would contain random ancient set pieces and loot, such as thulecite, gems, ancient structures, etc. This would provide a motive for player to work together in Don't starve together. Tell me what you guys think!

A jungle biome... That sounds amazing. I totally want to see this happen.

It would be a great way to implement a lighter version of the ruins in DST without the spelunking, and this concept art is really really really beautiful, I don't know where you found this but it's almost making me hyperventilate from hype. I suppose they're all lost content and I don't see why the devs would NOT implement this, it's just all too perfect. (that spider pawn is.. GOSH it looks so good!)

I would be very excited to see this kind of new content, it would make DST feel even more interesting ! I'm starting to feel in need of new stuff in the game, it holds so much potential.

super ultra epic keil pls add.

Jungle biome... Yes. Thulecite and clockwork monsters involvement... No. It would completely abolish the point of gojng down the ruins, hence also making night light completely useless. If there's gonna be jungle, think brand. May be some of the old content in it, but mainly new. There's no point in having a new biome if all it does makes something hard to easier. Also think about how this will benefit the player in a new way, as well as setting up new challenges. Linking DS and Jungle, doesn't seem like an easy task considering that the content could potentially turn out iffy. A lot of thought needs to be put into something before it can be worked on. U&A mod could be one example in my opinion; There's some cool stuff and it's often awesome how it's layed out, however a lot of its content feels quite unfinished and/or seems to have a strange path of how it's presented. Not saying that U&A is a terrible mod, I personally think it's great, but I do believe it could be improved a lot. From Klei's own work, I could say the same about Webber; he wasn't a character to be launched yet and got into RoG mainly because of how much people were demanding him to be in the game. Ergo, we have problems with spiders' interaction with the player, playing as Webber or spiders' interaction with other mobs which are passive towards player. Don't blame me for being critical, that's just the way I am. If devs are to put in a jungle biome, we shouldn't just demand it like we did for Webber, but instead may be give them some more creative ideas so that if the biome IS going to be implemented, it is well planned and done.

jungle

I... I actually dreamt this a while back... exactly like this!! Thank you for bringing this dream to life! XD

O___O

Yes, I agree completely and if I may...

Jungle biome... Yes. Thulecite and clockwork monsters involvement... No. It would completely abolish the point of gojng down the ruins, hence also making night light completely useless.

I was actually thinking that the "caves" or even just the "ruins" entrance(s) would be moved here and become exclusive to this biome!! think about it:

• Mayan/Aztec/Central/South American Jungle vibe... put some cave banana trees here! also ruins-like structures and/or turfs that surround the cave(s) entrance!
  • Splumonkeys spawn in this area (the barrel/totem thing)
  • A few thulecite walls!
  • A few relics
  • Of course, no nightmare cracks and stuff because it is the over-world

I actually dreamt about this after contemplating about people in the ruins having to traverse the upper cave levels just to get to the surface, you would think that such an advanced civilization would have conquered the level of the caves above where their homes are right?

So there... again, thank you for bringing this up!! :)

I... I actually dreamt this a while back... exactly like this!! Thank you for bringing this dream to life! XD

O___O

Yes, I agree completely and if I may...

I was actually thinking that the "caves" or even just the "ruins" entrance(s) would be moved here and become exclusive to this biome!! think about it:

• Mayan/Aztec/Central/South American Jungle vibe... put some cave banana trees here! also ruins-like structures and/or turfs that surround the cave(s) entrance!
  • Splumonkeys spawn in this area (the barrel/totem thing)
  • A few thulecite walls!
  • A few relics
  • Of course, no nightmare cracks and stuff because it is the over-world
I actually dreamt about this after contemplating about people in the ruins having to traverse the upper cave levels just to get to the surface, you would think that such an advanced civilization would have conquered the level of the caves above where their homes are right?

So there... again, thank you for bringing this up!! :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Just nope. Merely because it's in your dream doesn't mean it has to become a thing. Dreams are weird and sometimes even the ideas you take from that could potetially turn out quite vague if not thought through enough. This is not what your parents meant when they said to follow your dreams. Sometimes I myself see some awesome DS content which could be added to the game, but when I think about it more, it overall either wouldn't work, wouldn't work as simply or wouldn't actually be or look as awesome as the first time I saw it in my dream, so a lot of thinking needs to be done and reconsidering before any conclusions can be made.

XirmiX is right - despite being a bit of a party pooper - the ruins' access difficulty ought to be preserved. Even though these ideas are making me drool, the jungle should be as new as possible and must not contain a direct entrance to the ruins and absolutely no pseudoscience station, except that in my opinion there could still be a few thulecite walls part of set pieces exclusive to the jungle. This only gives the player either a small protected base in the middle of a hostile area, or either a few thulecite shards which are negligible. To add to the immersion, such a set piece could also contain a few items from the ruins, maybe a little bit of thulecite, a ruins chest, ruins gems or even a pseudoscience item (of course no orange staff or houndius shootius). Just as a reminder, currently in RoG, tumbleweeds have a small chance of looting ruins gems (yellow, green or orange). It happened to me twice and I never used any mods that change loot in any way. So getting ruins items outside of the ruins is possible and as long as it doesn't make it easier to get to pseudoscience stations then it is all fine.

the jungle should be as new as possible and must not contain a direct entrance to the ruins and absolutely no pseudoscience station

I agree. I was thinking the jungle would have a few thulecite walls and maybe some ancient items, but not anything as OP as a fully functional pseudoscience station. Instead of ancient objects, perhaps it could have new Aztec/Incan-looking statues, walls, chests, etc. These would drop/contain rarer items like silk, gold, red/blue gems, gold, or even blueprints to create your own aztec walls and such. 

@XirmiX@Sketchiverse, @ThaumicParrot, I meant that the jungle itself would be difficult to traverse and would be the place to find the cave entrances, keeping with the difficulty of the caves... I didn't mean that we should have a direct entrance to the caves... keep the caves entrance mechanic but make it even more "difficult" by moving all the entrances to a hard-to reach biome namely the jungle...

O___O

In all honesty the more I think about it I think this can be quite suitable for DST.  It can help solve a huge problem which providing content people want............. caves.  The current problem with the cave content is creating the separate generated world for the cave Biome while at the same time provided multiple instances for it.  A Jungle biome can help solve this problem by generating a much bigger world that contains all the things and most of the situations you encounter in the caves.  The hardest of these things would be lights out but another trade off is that you can use other systems in place in the game to create a much harder experience like the caves provide.   One of the most difficult thing was traversing the caves in spring when it was raining.  You can make rain occurrences in the jungle more frequent and only localized to the jungle or some sort of rainforest constant water dropping around.  Make harder wet challenges to counter balance the lights out.  Also shorten the days in the jungle due to denser overhanging canopy.

These are just a few of my ideas but I really think a jungle biome could quite potentially solve some problems up ahead, create a new interesting and unique DST content and experience, and alleviate the demand that players want from currently omitted content.

Plus where better to find the remains of some ancient civilization?  The jungle!

It's true that we're in DST and there are no caves because of the problem with instances, but I'm not too pessimistic about this. I'm not Klei, but I believe it might be possible to implement them in Together someday.

So I like the idea of separating the ruins' ancient technology and the jungle's aztec/mayan/incas technology. They could be two completely different things, with their own proper elements and items. The ruins' civilization could be anterior in history than the jungle's, lore-wise.

I don't really see the jungle as a substitute to caves and ruins, or merely as a way to implement what we don't (but possibly could) have in DST. I just love this new biome idea, and the more there is, the better, right ?

Is it actually possible to make days shorter in a single biome? 

With the current gestion of day segments used in the game, I would say "maybe". I didn't study that part of the game's API. It might be possible to make a biome in which days are changed into dusk, or into night. Not necessarily by changing the time at which the night falls, which would be really messy. But simply by removing the sunlight when you enter the biome, which is surely possible. Maybe even progressively as you go further in the canopy. I don't know yet.

I think DS need a touch of posion and and buff, de-buff effect via mushroom and herbs we could find in the jungle.
Chop new type of wood (of do-some-thing-else) in jungle give a chance to posioned (Damage Over Time).

Or we could make tea via dried herbs? Give warm effect and heal sanity.

We could have some bamboo trees in the jungle too. It'll give bamboo shoots (edible) and bamboo wood could use to contain liquid.

THERE IS SO MANY THINGS WE COULD ADD TO DS :yaypigs: !

@XirmiX@Sketchiverse, @ThaumicParrot, I meant that the jungle itself would be difficult to traverse and would be the place to find the cave entrances, keeping with the difficulty of the caves... I didn't mean that we should have a direct entrance to the caves... keep the caves entrance mechanic but make it even more "difficult" by moving all the entrances to a hard-to reach biome namely the jungle...

O___O

But if the contents of caves and ruins are in Jungle biome, which also has the cave entrance in it... then it would make Caves and Ruins even more useless! Just go into jungle and gather all the goodies, why go down into caves as well for the same kind of loot?!

But if the contents of caves and ruins are in Jungle biome, which also has the cave entrance in it... then it would make Caves and Ruins even more useless! Just go into jungle and gather all the goodies, why go down into caves as well for the same kind of loot?!

T__T

I didn't say put a ALL OF IT IN THE JUNGLE... I meant that some of them like a few thulecite walls and tables and vases (which are as we know are NON-RENEWABLE) and a couple of ruins turfs...

I didn't say that we should put in the Ancient Pseudoscience Station in the Jungle... it should stay in the ruins so that people will have a reason to go there...

ALL I SAID WAS PUT SOME OF THEM IN THE JUNGLE AS A PRELUDE TO WHAT THEY WILL SEE IN THE CAVES AND RUINS

T__T

ugh!

*somebody off-stage yells*

Use your inside voice!!

O__O

T__T

I didn't say put a ALL OF IT IN THE JUNGLE... I meant that some of them like a few thulecite walls and tables and vases (which are as we know are NON-RENEWABLE) and a couple of ruins turfs...

I didn't say that we should put in the Ancient Pseudoscience Station in the Jungle... it should stay in the ruins so that people will have a reason to go there...

ALL I SAID WAS PUT SOME OF THEM IN THE JUNGLE AS A PRELUDE TO WHAT THEY WILL SEE IN THE CAVES AND RUINS

T__T

ugh!

*somebody off-stage yells*

Use your inside voice!!

O__O

Nah, what once was in the ruins, stays in the ruins. If we're also goingbtonthink about renewing things such as graves and thulecite and all the turfs as well as saplings/bushes/twigs, this won't work. I'm hoping one day we'll get earthquakes in the ruins which drop thulecite fragments to make sense of where that stuff came from and unless you make some weird thulecite meteorites which will fall in the jungle, that biome would made 0 sense. Just like carrots in the ground! Bushes regrow berries, but the carrots never grow back in the ground! So, say if we ever were to have DS which renews it via seeds, which it SHOULD so that defaultly generated world actually make some sort of sense. So, no go for the thulecite stuff and such in the jungle biome. Better something totally new!

Just like carrots in the ground! Bushes regrow berries, but the carrots never grow back in the ground! So, say if we ever were to have DS which renews it via seeds, which it SHOULD so that defaultly generated world actually make some sort of sense. So, no go for the thulecite stuff and such in the jungle biome. Better something totally new!

This conversation is getting a bit ridiculous.

Archived