Adventures in Afetopia (A heavily modded and customized dedicated server)

No more need for downloads

Hello I am Afetogbo and I am trying to set up a dedicated server with 70+ mods for my friends and I. After much trial and error I thought i would give some tips to others out there. I have now spent 4 days working on my server to overcome this bump or that bump. Finally today I made huge progress.

Problems:

recipe sortkey

configuration of mod server/client

steam workshop issues

Solutions:

The first thing I tried to tackle was recipies and although some modmatitians are aware of this problem many are not. I found a few different threads claiming to have the answer but this one is the one that worked. http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/51231-general-mod-recipe-prioritysortkey-issue/?p=615097

This allows each mod to have a unique priority and therefore when all recipes mods have the same priority they will have the same sort key and work properly. So i went threw all the mods and gave those that didn't have it done a unique priority. Some mods wanted to be loaded after other mods so they did not have the 0.00workshopid and I left the priority if it was unique.

When trying to set this up you now have mods on your server which do not match the client mods. since every time they download a mod it comes from the workshop and not from the server. I tried to unsubscribe and then manually apply the mods and that was a no go. The way the workshop is set up now all non subscribed mods are deleted and all subscribed mods are re-downloaded. This means you can't use the mod menu in the client. I got around this by copying the mods from my server to my client mod folder. Then I copied the the modoverrides.lua from the server to the client. My goal here was to enable all mods so they will not be downloaded without using the mod menu. It worked.

Now every mod had a unique priority server/client matching all mods were loaded in the same order on both and they had the exact same number of mods. I changed client only mods to be server mods just in-case but I don't know if that is required or if it is required for all client only mods to be loaded on the server. either way it works with all mods loaded equally on both server and client.

After I got all this set up I decided to try the config of options for mods again and so far It worked with the freezer mod. I originally just copied the modoverride.lua file with config options from server to client and it worked. I then deleted the config options from the client and it still worked. I am thinking for ease of use they should just be the same.

I should now be able to upload a zip with the modoverride.lua and all the mods and have anyone I want download it and extract to the game folder and then they can play on me server with all the mods.

YAY!

I am now going to do all the work to get every mod set up and see how it works.

Next I am going to see if i can get dr. wave and drok characters to work on a dedicated server since they are requested characters.

Okay I have just finished finall mod selection and testing for the alpha. I am going to let my nephew play on it while I do the configs for all the mods. when I am done with that I will regenerate the world and it will be in beta. Some times the pigking will not spawn. I had to adjust my world gen settings (mostly branch and loop) to maximize the chances of him spawning. I might have to change the day to long day because my nephew has a hard time seeing at dusk. I will not like doing this because some of the characters are ment to be played more at night then day. The settings follow.

return {	override_enabled = true,animals={ --options are "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"	alternatehunt="default",	angrybees="default",	beefalo="default",	beefaloheat="default",	bees="default",	birds="default",	butterfly="default",	frogs="default",	hunt="default",	penguins="default",	perd="default",	pigs="default",	rabbits="default",	tallbirds="default" },misc={	boons="often", --options are "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"	branching="least", --options are "never", "least", "default", "most"	day="default", --options are "onlyday", "onlydusk", "onlynight", "default", "longday", "longdusk", "longnight"	lightning="default", --options are "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"	loop="always", --options are "never", "default", "always"	season="shortboth", --options are "onlysummer", "onlywinter", "default", "longsummer", "longwinter", "longboth", "shortboth"	season_start="summer", --options are "winter", "summer"	touchstone="default", --options are "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"	weather="often", --options are "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"	world_size="huge" --options are "default", "medium", "large", "huge"},monsters={ --options are "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"	chess="default",	deerclops="default",	hounds="default",	krampus="default",	liefs="default",	lureplants="default",	merm="default",	spiders="default",	tentacles="rare",	walrus="default" },resources={ --options are "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"	flint="default",	flowers="default",	grass="default",	marshbush="default",	meteorshowers="default",	meteorspawner="default",	reeds="default",	rock="default",	rocks="default",	sapling="default",	trees="default" },unprepared={ --options are "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"	berrybush="default",	carrot="default",	mushroom="default"}}

Okay there are a total of 75 mods on my server I made a collection here. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386193489

They will not work if you download them from the workshop. I have a private download for anyone i invite to my server.

I wanted to get webweb, dr. wave, Shovelknight, and renewable world on but they all had problems.

I had to generate a world 3 times before i got one with a pig king. Now to work on the configurations.

Oh and map revealer is only for testing and is disabled for live servers.

Well I set up all the configuration and it messed up. So I copied the modoverrides.lua file from the server to the client and then it worked. seems like for things to work good the server and client need to be very close to identical in mods. same modoverride and same mods.

Once I did that I was able to play with no issues. All the configurations that i tested worked fine. and after a few hours of play it is now time for bed. I did end up tweaking a few settings and configuring one mod i missed on my first pass.

My server is ready for my friends and I think I am going to stream it.

74 total mods active all working.

Been playing on the server all day and it was pretty stable. I had to get ride of the working lure plants mod and every now and again there will be client side disconnects. Also seras isn't working right so i am going to tweak with the priority later. I really want to try and get renewable world working. I also might take off the arena. I am hosting on a low end pc amd phenom with a ati 9700 low end. I think the arena is causing a bit of lag with all the spiders that get spawned from the spider ones.

We got a great map with all the cave stuff in one area and well it is just the best map I have ever seen. I did have to spawn in some res shelters by the worm holes for people because there are a few spots you can't escape from.

having fun though

So it was great while it lasted. Then the patch hit. Now i have to start from the ground up :( 4 days of setup and 2 days of play gone.  Oh that base was epic and the heard of rock lobsters i tamed to fight the arena spiders was pretty epic.

@afetogbo, The patch broke most mods that have character-specific recipes.

Besides, if a patch breaks a mod, having your own version is going to hold you back, because each author individually is finding the bugs and fixing them, so now you have to do all that work yourself for every mod you're using.

Well I have been rebuilding my mod list and things are going well. I still had to edit priority into every mod to make the recipes work. I think I might be back online tomorrow. Then I will be checking the wrokshop daily for updates to some of the mods that aren't working.

Afetopia mod collection V1.5
asembled by afetogbo

Before installing:
Unsubscribe to all mods.
load the game and click on mods.
This will clean out all mods to make way for installing the mod.

Installation:
place the mods folder in your base directory.
steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\mods

Place the modoverride.lua into your don't starve config folder located here
C:\Users\"username"\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether

launch the game and press i understand
then press play

DO NOT CLICK ON MODS!!!!
if you do it will wipe all the mods you just installed.

NOte: modoverride.lua may need to be downloaded seperatly to update the mods list.

V1.5
A ton of changes.
Some custom editing
removed, added, and updates some mods.
world gen changed
Most characters removed for optimization.
characters will be added by request only.

Public test
download link added to
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/51269-adventures-in-afetopia-a-heavily-modded-and-customized-dedicated-server/
V1.4
removed spider blade mod because of crash.
V1.3
Changed battle sense to default off.
V1.2
Removed adventure time mod as the items were not showing up in the game.
V1.1
Added a few mods removed a few mods and changed some priorities.

I have moved from trying to set up the server to now working on mods for the server. I wish there was a way to edit another authors mods and allow them to upload it. some times i just want to make one tiny tweak but don't have permission. I am having fun learning lua though.now i just need to learn how to edit the graphics.

I got steamcmd from here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

and found a post for setting up an update.bat

steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir C:\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\ +app_update 343050 validate +quit

seems to be working fine. i put both the exe and the bat into a folder in the server folder and then i just run it to update

Well the server is down right now after the update of additional set pieces. I have a lot of work to do on afetopia_exmg before I start a new world. I have learned a lot making bluechester/bluester/the family mod with kooky112. rezecib is cool and Kzisor/Ysovuka helped me out and his set piece guide is awesome.

Some folks have been coming to me for ideas and help. I don't know much, but I do help some times. if anyone wants my advice or assistance or just to have me be a cut and paste monkey add me on steam.

Archived