Can't see my online server from same computer, other people can join it and play

This is really frustrating. I have 2 computers running on two different external ips (but though same router). One is running the server (on 10998, not that it matters), and the other is the client.  Despite having different external ips, i *still* cant play on my OWN SERVER! Argh!

Klei can we please please please get this fixed or get a workaround asap???

Hmmm is this part of the bug mentioned here?  

Because I am having the same problem, and it'd be cool to know if it's just me messing up starting the server, or if its the bug.

It shows up here but I can't connect to it, and apparently days are passing because in my server list it's day 6.... very confusing. :/ 

• Developer

Some routers are going to have this problem and not perform full NAT when connecting to a local service. How that'll manifest is that everyone not on your LAN can use the dedicated server, but those on your LAN cannot.

By way of fixes, all we have at the moment is to run a non-dedicated server (the new multithreaded renderer should eliminate some of the advantages of dedicated over non-dedicated when that's fully available) or search for a fix specific to your router. Here's a super long and complicated link on the subject! :) http://serverfault.com/questions/55611/loopback-to-forwarded-public-ip-address-from-local-network-hairpin-nat

I can confirm that using a Hairpin NAT is the way to be able to play on a dedicated server from within the same LAN it is hosted on. I can connect to my dedicated server from within the same LAN with no problems. I suspected lack of implementing a Hairpin NAT in my firewall was the issue when I couldn't connect to my server from the host list. I have a Mikrotik router and do networking and IT for a living so setting up a Hairpin NAT was trivial for me, but for most people it might not be easy or even possible because most consumer routers are of the extremely limited and simple "Linksys/Netgear" variety. My Mikrotik router on the other hand is configurable beyond belief and can be setup to suit any network scenario. It really is an enterprise grade router and what some ISPs use (the ISP I operate uses them). Having that type of insanely powerful router and those type of skills shouldn't be a requirement to make something like this work, so hopefully the devs will implement a software workaround to address this. All it would require is some simple logic in the client to check and see whether the server the client is trying to connect to is on the same public IP as the client or not. If it is then it should try and connect to the server's internal LAN address rather than its public IP address. It would require the server to advertise its internal LAN IP along with its external public IP for that to work though. Not ideal, but depending on how the client/server works perhaps the devs know of a better way. Come on guys you can make it work! All it would take is an hour or two of a code monkey's time!

Archived