[Gameplay] - Map resets after rejoining

Libertas

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: Map resets after rejoining

Issue Description: I am hosting the game and it was working well until 5-6 days ago. It appears that I, as a host, don't have any map related problems, but a client does. The parts of the world that were explored are not showing after rejoining the server, the map simply 'resets' and player has to re-explore aaand it goes blank again for a player that disconnects and connects again. This bug is annoying since it kind of lowers the gaming experience. It's not keeping me and my friends from playing since we hope you will solve this in the nearest hotfix. I could mention that after I reinstalled the game (thanks god it's only 500MB) players could rejoin normally and map would still be as they left it. Adding new mode/s seem to be the cause of the map bug. However, I've seen other people reporting the same bug. Hope you resolve it as soon as possible. :)

Steps to Reproduce: a)

1. Host the server

2. Make someone play with you

3. Client should reveal some of the map, disconnect & connect again.

4. The map on the client side should now be back to the beginning

b)

Before starting the server apply mods you want.

1. Host server

2. Make someone play with you

3. Client should reveal some parts of the map

4. Host should disconnect now & close the game

5. Go to workshop and find some mode (i.e. Player indicator)

6. Re-start the server, ask the same player to join again

7. His map should be blank now.

@Libertas, I think there are a lot of things that could cause this. The direct reason would be if it cannot write to or read from the save directory-- the only thing clients really store locally is the map data. If your friend who's having problems could post their log after reconnecting, as well as the complete path to the save directory, that might be helpful.

For me, the log is located here:

C:\Users\rafael\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\log.txt

The save directory is in the same folder, so if there are issues it's probably with the beginning of the path.

• Developer

Hey @Libertas

Okay, this issue seems to have a couple of reasons it can happen. So far I fixed two instances where it can happen (a unicode username, as well as the user's document directory being on a network drive), but there's possibly a third way this happens, and I really hope to pin it down and get it fixed, so I have a few questions for you :)

1) Does this always happen for you if you repeat the above steps - ie, every user that joins you loses their progress every time they rejoin?

2) You say you don't lose your progress when you quit and reload the world? (I had expected you would too, so that's different)

3) As @rezecib said - Can you check if there's a Klei/DoNotStarveTogether directory with a log.txt file in your documents directory?

4) If possible, same for your friends indeed, do they perhaps have something odd with that directory? Does it exist? Is there a log.txt?

I know, it's a lot of questions, but this bug has proven fairly elusive.

Kaj

just throwing my 2c in here, bought the game last night to play with my boyfriend and was having a blast. after we came back online from a break, i've hosted the server, he's joined and it all seemed ok. until he reaslised that half of his map was no longer explored. it could well be this unicode problem you mentioned, his name is bear spelt in asti, we laughed initially that DST recognised his name as characters resembling AACA, but he promptly ragequite when discovering he would need to reveal the map again while he goes over there to get resource.

if you hadn't already guessed, i don't think it's that big an issue. screenshot every now and then so you have references if there's something you want to go back for specifically.

i would like to say that if this is the only issue i see then i'm really happy with how the game is, but we did find 2 touchstone with no actual stone to touch, but meh. i'm having a great time, just need to find more people

Hello

When i was client everything worked fine till i did get some random  disconnect and message "server not responding" while tring to reconnect even if server worked normaly. After reconnect map was reset to moment before session with disconect.

Even if i play 2 hours straight without logout and then get DC my map is reversed to point before it.

When i host friends got same problem with map amd it seems DC making map reset. If they reconnect  after DC and play for about 1h and logout to try same map, it doesn't. After login into server map resets again.

If client dont get DC while playing and then logout map saves normal, but after DC there are map resets allover.

When i host  friends usualy get DC  in same time ,even if my connection to internet is very stable.

Hello @bizziboi ,

This doesn't happen always, as I said, once I reinstall the game, it seems that any map progress made from that point reappears normally after rejoining the server. I will ask my friend about his log.txt file, but I'm not sure if the problem will occur again since I have fresh install, but if it does, both me and my friend will post log.txt file here. Now the answers to your questions,

1) Nope, haven't tested it step by step, this is just two situations when the problem manifested itself. I only play with 1 person (that friend) so I wouldn't know for any other clients.

2) My map is there, only client's map isn't, if I don't reinstall the game, any new progress with the map he made would be lost again upon rejoining.

3) There's a log.txt , and I will post it as attachment, no idea if it's any use, but there it is.

4) When I get in touch with my friend later today I will ask him to send me his log.txt file that I will post, or he will do it directly.

log.txt

Hey guys,

I've had the same problem a few times as I was playing on two servers my friends hosted, so I'm just gonna post my log file here as well. On top of that I once managed to get at least a little bit of my exploration back on the map - not sure how that happened though, I think I just disabled and enabled all my mods again.

However, my friends are using all the same mods and haven't experienced this problem yet.

i would like to say that if this is the only issue i see then i'm really happy with how the game is, but we did find 2 touchstone with no actual stone to touch, but meh. i'm having a great time, just need to find more people

AFAIK touch stones in DST can only be used by ghosts to resurrect themselves, same as the jury-rigged portal.

log.txt

@bizziboi, Just figured out a way to mention you so you know that I replied. I want to emphasize that the possible problem could be in the mods, in terms when adding and/or removing them and clicking apply button, afaik things started happening after that. You will see that I have 3 mods enabled, but this happened before the 3rd one (RoG characters).

AFAIK touch stones in DST can only be used by ghosts to resurrect themselves, same as the jury-rigged portal.

ahh thank you. im realising how hard it is to look anything up when i can't pause the game XD

@Libertas, Does this file exist on your friend's computer?

Failed to load minimap from session data: session/0B6000115CA5DA08/KU_g0w2meii_minimap 

The session folder would be located inside the save folder next to the log file. If it does exist, it might help to upload it.

Edit: @k4rl1 similarly for your client, but check for this file instead:

Failed to load minimap from session data: session/07500002CDBE9728/KU_mLcCf5Gl_minimap

Got same problem and found temporary solution.

So I got same problem with map disappearing and found that, if the server host send you map file (in my case "KU_aKd006fA_minimap") and you put it in server folder (in my case ...session\04100002EEBAF428) you got map what is explored by host. If you are playing with friend who hosts server than you just explore map together and if your map disappears in next time you play on his server, just ask him/her to send map file.

Hope this helps.

This has happened to me as host and to others on my server several times after fixing mod issues. I just tried taking a minimap file from a backup where I know my full map was revealed and copying into the live directory, but it did not work. This is a very annoying bug which makes gameplay much less fun, let alone admin. Hopefully it can be fixed soon. 

Note, this time I had a typo in the modoverrides.lua file. A single comma in the wrong place is what killed the map. :(

I understand keeping the mystery for players who are new, but at least please fix the reveal commands so that they work again if you can't figure out this bug. Or give us SOME WAY TO GET OUR MAPS BACK PLEASE. It would be much appreciated.  :juggling:

Archived