[Client Crash] - Crashed after connecting to server, now it doesn't even boot

Xaphedo

Bug Submission:

Category: Client Crash
Issue Title: Crashed after connecting to server, now it doesn't even boot
Issue Description: The first time I started the game I tried to connect to a server and it crashed.
After that, every time I tried to boot the game in any way (even directly through Steam), Steam prepares to launch the game, but always fails. I get this:

Steam must be running to play this game (SteamAPI_init() failed).

Steps to Reproduce: The first time it crashed after I tried to connect to a server, but I'm not sure that's the reason this happened.

Now I simply have to boot it, be it via desktop, directly in the /bin folder on in my Steam Library.

(I typed a more detailed description of the ways I booted it, but the form ate it. Weird.)

dontstarve_steam_112812_crash_2014_10_4T1_0_39C0.mdmp

DxDiag.txt

post-203526-0-72989000-1412386546_thumb.

rebooting Steam was enough for me, but yes, an entire reboot of the computer may be needed.

Should that fail to launch but Steam launches, deleting the local content in Steam's library, then reinstall it, then rebooting Steam afterwards might need to be done to overwrite the remaining stuck (temp) files. 

I rebooted my PC and everything is dandy and crashy as it should be. I'm not gonna go over the almost unbearable amount of crashes I got, since we got everybody and their cat complaining more than enough about it.

But I'm getting another weird bug. Most of the time, when I click on "play online", I get the "It's your first time uh? Create an account!" message. After trying and I retrying, it may glitch back to the menu and after that it connects properly the next time I try; or, sometimes (it's very rare) I boot it and it simply works. Then it usually crashes while loading the server list and I say words I was never meant to know as a kid.

Also I died because of a server crash that didn't actually disconnect me from the server: I was close to starvation (I had food but I couldn't do anything with the "It crashed!" screen in my face) and my session kept going even after I was supposed to kick myself out, Music and SoundFX still playing and stuff.

Archived