Rock lobsters.

Everyone is afraid to bring them to the surface. But they annoying even in ruins!

I think they should have a way to regulate the population: When they become very large and old, they are looking for a rock turf and ... turn into boulders. It means the end of their lives. They are mighty creatures and should have some kind of "symbolic" death, perhaps?

All good but I still don't see why the code even allows them to overwhelm a world. It doesn't allow beefalo to do that, so why rock lobsters?

I'm almost certain I had read somewhere a few months back that rock lobster breeding was intended, thus Maxwell's quote about banishing them to the caves (although I might be wrong!).

I often find them respawning after I've deleted some through console despite none actually being there - always in the same place, so it seems that they create "spawn points" on the map once they're introduced to the overworld.

I reckon they should still be pests, but population management should be viable.

I'm almost certain I had read somewhere a few months back that rock lobster breeding was intended, thus Maxwell's quote about banishing them to the caves (although I might be wrong!).

I often find them respawning after I've deleted some through console despite none actually being there - always in the same place, so it seems that they create "spawn points" on the map once they're introduced to the overworld.

I reckon they should still be pests, but population management should be viable.

I think one thing we should be considering, though, is that IS the game world meant to be eternally sustainable? Is the fact that some resources are non-renewable and things like overpopulation and item spam will eventually become an issue make opening a teleportato a higher goal than say, keeping your base around for 1000 days?

Perhaps it's just meant to be a little more temporary and we're getting to attached to each individual world when we should be getting attached more to our individual characters?

I think the developers would be in-klei-ned to agree with that sentiment.

I think one thing we should be considering, though, is that IS the game world meant to be eternally sustainable? Is the fact that some resources are non-renewable and things like overpopulation and item spam will eventually become an issue make opening a teleportato a higher goal than say, keeping your base around for 1000 days?

Perhaps it's just meant to be a little more temporary and we're getting to attached to each individual world when we should be getting attached more to our individual characters?

You just blew me away with philosophy. You "rock"-lobster.

I'd like to think most mistakes should be somewhat reversible - e.g. bringing rock lobsters to the overworld. Non-renewable items, however, should be just that. ^^

Personally, I always find the things first so that I can abandon ship if I wreck the world in a devastating case of affairs. I've yet to have that day.

You just blew me away with philosophy. You "rock"-lobster.

I'd like to think most mistakes should be somewhat reversible - e.g. bringing rock lobsters to the overworld. Non-renewable items, however, should be just that. ^^

Personally, I always find the things first so that I can abandon ship if I wreck the world in a devastating case of affair. I've yet to have that day.

My guilty admission: I start over any world without a pig king :-) There should ALWAYS be a pig king dammit!

I'd start over Krampus-less worlds but that happens way too often to me. Finding all the things is a piece of cake once you start learning where things tend to show up, and I'll never pass up picking them up because finding the ring thing later can be a pain.

One thing that amuses me is the divining rod. It's unthinkable that by the time I can make one that I haven't already found all 4 pieces and have explored the entire map.

Archived